Author Topic: Sega's best console  (Read 3372 times)

Hobo Xiphas

Re: Sega's best console
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 11:46:09 AM »
Shining force III came out on the saturn and was released on 3 seperate discs to accomodate the huuuuge story but only the first part got translated and released in the west..

There is an English script for Scenario 2, and part of Scenario 3 that fit the game when I played them.  I don't know if they are accurate.

I heard awhile back that someone was going to try to insert them into the game, but that it was a major pain in the ass to do.

It really is a shame that Scenario 2 wasn't released in the US, it has some real awesome battles in it.

Shining the Holy Ark rules. One of my favorites for the Saturn. Ugly enemies and other characters, though.

The best thing about Holy Ark is the hilarious different pitches for the text beeps.  I love how the chicks have the really high pitched BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP while the dragonman in the game had a beefy BOOP-BOOP-BOOP-BOOP-BOOP-BOOP-BOOP-BOOP-BOOP.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 11:50:32 AM by Xiphas »

FM-77

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 12:03:49 PM »
Text beeps are way better than voice overs. :wink:

GUTS

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2007, 09:03:50 AM »
Supposedly things are going smoothly on the text insertion in SF3 2&3.  The problem they had I think was that some super a$$hole who worked on parts of the original translation wouldn't let the hackers use his/her parts, so they had to retranslate some stuff.  Plus there were parts missing here and there from scenario 2 and 3 that had to be translated also.  They did completely translate the premium disc a while back so it seems like they know what they are doing.

FM-77

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2007, 09:22:55 AM »
Was it the same guy who worked on the Mother 3 "translation"? I believe he was called Shimarisu.

Black Tiger

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2007, 01:55:41 PM »

Valis 3 Genesis is the best example.

Even if the U.S. Turbo version had good acting, it wouldn't take away from how cool the Genesis dialogue sfx are.

Phantasy Star III is my favorite... It's not anime-ish like almost all the other japanese RPGs, which is a very good thing in my opinion. I absolutely LOVE the monster artwork in PS III. The music is great too, and the plot. I think everything about that game is excellent.

PSIII is a lot better than PSII. The monster artwork is the best next to PS1.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 01:58:28 PM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2007, 07:18:53 PM »
PS1 was a hell of a lot more animated than PS3.  In PS3 they maybe wiggle a finger or twitch their ears as they are attacking.  I still greatly enjoyed the game as I played through all 4 about a year or so ago (on real hardware).  Love that series.  PSO and PSU do not count as real Phantasy Star games... or as real games.

FM-77

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2007, 02:36:49 AM »
PSO and PSU do not count as real Phantasy Star games... or as real games.

Super word.

Super word.

guyjin

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2007, 05:28:15 AM »
Was it the same guy who worked on the Mother 3 "translation"? I believe he was called Shimarisu.

Tell me more about this 'translation'. I've been threatening to pick the game up.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

FM-77

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2007, 06:03:50 AM »
It was a "translation" made by someone who sucks at translating (try the first Ys 4 SFC translation from 2001 for an example of his terrible work - not to be confused with Deuce's recent and excellent translation of the same). He was extremely rude to everybody and acted all arrogant and superior because he was "translating" it (the typical I rule because I'm the biggest geek kind of arrogance). Well, people got pissed at him so he dropped it altogether. His almost equally arrogant friends are still saying they're working on it, even though it's obviously just a lie. I don't really know much, as I don't care about either Mother 3 or the "translation", I've only heard this from people who do care.

I believe there's another translation project for it though, held by more professional people. I believe their translator is called Tomato, famous for some FF or SD translation. Don't really remember.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2007, 10:30:51 AM »
I believe there's another translation project for it though, held by more professional people. I believe their translator is called Tomato, famous for some FF or SD translation. Don't really remember.

Tomato is famous because of Bahamut Lagoon's translation, I believe...

guyjin

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2007, 12:34:07 PM »
It was a "translation" made by someone who sucks at translating (try the first Ys 4 SFC translation from 2001 for an example of his terrible work - not to be confused with Deuce's recent and excellent translation of the same). He was extremely rude to everybody and acted all arrogant and superior because he was "translating" it (the typical I rule because I'm the biggest geek kind of arrogance). Well, people got pissed at him so he dropped it altogether. His almost equally arrogant friends are still saying they're working on it, even though it's obviously just a lie. I don't really know much, as I don't care about either Mother 3 or the "translation", I've only heard this from people who do care.

I suppose they have a forum of some kind?

I need to study Japanese more, so I can be one of these people.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

FM-77

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2007, 12:45:17 PM »
They do.

Bad one: http://www.mother3.org/

New, promising one: http://starmen.net/

GUTS

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2007, 01:56:10 PM »
Shimarisu sounds familiar, that name reminds me of some stupid chick who used to complain about how anything but a "literal" japanese translation was horrible, I remember people on the Working Designs message board talking about how annoying she was.  She supposedly learned japanese and translated something, maybe it was Ys IV like you said.

FM-77

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2007, 01:38:15 AM »
Yeah that's the guy. His translations are extremely literal, and practically impossible to make any sense of.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2007, 03:41:28 AM »

Except for the annoying shit in Exile: WP - it makes my anus bleed.

Super literal translations always suck.  Some phrases simply can't be translated properly, but I'm happy if I get the gist of the conversation.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles