Author Topic: Sega's best console  (Read 3369 times)

guyjin

Sega's best console
« on: April 11, 2007, 05:18:59 PM »
Which is the greatest of them all?

* by choosing this option I hereby forefit my life and all belongings; I declare myself "fair game" as the scientologists would say.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Turbo D

Re: Sega's best console
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 05:40:46 PM »
It has to be the genesis, my personal favorite of the sega family. especially if equiped with either or sega cd and 32x. Man those 32x games are flipping awesome, its like the supergrafx of sega systems,  :D.

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 06:11:46 PM »
I think we've had one of these polls before, but a new one won't hurt.

Genesis is without-a-doubt the best, but I voted Pico just to give it some love. Speaking of which, who was the other person to vote for the Pico??
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 07:08:59 PM »
dude, i bought a pico at a thrift store for 4 bucks and it was pretty cool. It came with some gay winnie the pooh game,  :lol:.

TR0N

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 07:41:23 PM »
Saturn follow by the DC.

Not putting down the, Genesis though i got alot of entertainment out of it when i owned one.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 07:48:44 PM »
Saturn for me first. Genesis second,Sega CD,Dreamcast, and 32X tied for 4th,Master System 5th,and Pico never existed to me.

FM-77

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 11:59:23 PM »
Easy choice. Mega Drive.

I'll make a list too.

1. Mega Drive (great)
2. Saturn (good)
3. Master System (decent)
4. Game Gear (decent)
5. Mega-CD (decent)
6. Dreamcast (bad)
7. 32X (junk)

Never used the other systems and I never will.

The Mega Drive is one of my favorite consoles. It is only surpassed by the SNES and the PS2 which has infinite amounts of perfect games. Anyway, there are tons of great games for the Mega Drive. Soleil (Crusader of Centy), Light Crusader, Landstalker, Phantasy Star 2-3 (never played #4), Traysia, Wonder Boy in Monster World, etc. The list is can be made very long.

The Saturn has a pretty solid library as well. Magic Knight Rayearth (one of my absolute favorites), Shining the Holy Ark, Shining Wisdom, Linkle Liver Story, etc.

The Master System has a handful of really good games, like Golden Axe Warrior, Golvellius and Wonder Boy III The Dragon's Trap.

The Game Gear is a really interesting system. It really is a shame that it is a portable. Those games would've been a lot more enjoyable on a TV. The Madoh Monogatari series, Lunar Walking School, Magic Knight Rayearth, etc. Many interesting titles.

Mega-CD is a pretty weak system, but features some good titles as well, but nothing really stands out to me. It has a bunch of "OK" titles, like the Lunar games, Popful Mail and my personal favorite: Dungeon Explorer (which is not just okay, but great!).

I don't understand the Dreamcast hype. When it was new, nobody cared except a select few. Those that DID care hated it, and it died almost immediately. Now, many long years after its death, people are loving it for some reason. I've never liked it, weak 3d is not my thing. There are only a handful of games that interest me for it (Climax Landers, Grandia 2, etc). PS2 was the first console that could properly handle 3d, and it did it well.

The 32X is junk. That's all I can say.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 12:15:50 AM by Seldane »

Turbo D

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 12:12:03 AM »
I think dreamcast was fairly revolutionary. It had an awesome controller, with triggers i might add. It also came with a built in modem, thats pretty bad ass. It was compatible with windows me and could boot up homebrew apps without modding. That means you can play your emulators on ur dreamcast, cool. :D

FM-77

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 12:20:49 AM »
So the Dreamcast introduced the trigger buttons? Now I know who to blame. I thought the trigger buttons on the GC controller really ruined it. Standard L/R buttons would've been better, now you have to push them down so deep. I know you don't usually need to push them all the way down, but if I don't - it feels like it didn't register, so I have to push them all the way down every time. Obsessive compulsive behaviour I guess. :P

Turbo D

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 12:25:25 AM »
lol, I actually feel that way too on some games  :lol:. I guess they're only good for racing games as a throttle.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 04:44:42 AM »
1st - Terradrive
2nd - Genesis
3rd - Saturn

How could you leave out the sexy Sega Terradrive?  All the goodness of a Mega Drive, plus the awesome power of a 286 and a development kit.  I don't understand why it wasn't more popular.  I mean, who wouldn't want a brand new computer using a ten year old processor with the added power of Blast Processing.  I know that x86 code would only use the 286, but the proximity to Blast Processing had to have raised the 286 to near Pentium Pro levels of performance.  :^o
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 02:51:21 PM »
My favs in order:

Master System
Genesis
Saturn
Dreamcast
Sg-_000
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

termis

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 02:54:28 PM »
All good from SMS to Dreamcast.  Too difficult to pick a favorite.

GUTS

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 04:26:38 PM »
The Dreamcast gets a lot of hype because it's an awesome system with tons of great games, just like every Sega system (except the 32x of course).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 04:35:05 PM »
The 32X is definitely comparable to the SuperGrafx, just with (much) more power and (many) more games.  Otherwise they are both just as equally useless.