Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo: Total capacitor replacement chart  (Read 15354 times)

override

Was just wondering does it make a difference if the caps are "16 V" or "16VDC" ? Upon making an order on the net I noticed at checkout that some were VDC....

Thanks for the help

Also was wondering anyone that would recommend a site? I checked newark but they charge a $20 handling fee....I dont think I want to pay that...LOL $10 worth of caps turns out being damn near $40...

Hey NAT did you get my message?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:05:58 PM by override »

nat

No, they mean the exact same thing.

Zeon

Also was wondering anyone that would recommend a site? I checked newark but they charge a $20 handling fee....I dont think I want to pay that...LOL $10 worth of caps turns out being damn near $40...

Where do you live? I have ordered from newark in the past a few times and I have never been charged a $20 handling fee. If I was I would have ordered elsewhere!

override

Where do you live? I have ordered from newark in the past a few times and I have never been charged a $20 handling fee. If I was I would have ordered elsewhere!

I live in Texas....I was pretty sure that newark was in the states so I dont understand why they want to charge me the handling fee either....Not sure but if I cant get it off I will find elsewhere...I have already looked around but the other sites I have found dont carry everything I need....I was very suprised to see that newark carried the .047 Micro Farad 5.5 V Polarized Cap! Its only $1.47 so not a bad deal for such an important cap (in my mind).

Zeon

I live in Texas....I was pretty sure that newark was in the states so I dont understand why they want to charge me the handling fee either....Not sure but if I cant get it off I will find elsewhere...I have already looked around but the other sites I have found dont carry everything I need....I was very suprised to see that newark carried the .047 Micro Farad 5.5 V Polarized Cap! Its only $1.47 so not a bad deal for such an important cap (in my mind).

Really? So do I! Do you live in the DFW area by any chance? It's always cool to find out when a fellow member lives at least somewhat nearby.

Newark is in the states, and my last order (made last month) which consisted of mainly caps, some ics, a plastic enclosure, and other electronic miscellany did not have the $20 fee tacked on. How much does your order total to? They might only put it on really small orders as my last one was something like $47 before shipping and whatnot.

EDIT: Nevermind, I know why. You must be ordering one or more items that are labeled: "Farnell UK Direct Ship" which means that they don't have the item(s) available stateside, so they have to put in a special order direct from the UK. I generally avoid those items. See if they don't offer an equivalent that is in stock stateside. They should as they have a crap ton of caps in general.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:27:16 AM by Zeon »

override

Really? So do I! Do you live in the DFW area by any chance? It's always cool to find out when a fellow member lives at least somewhat nearby.

Newark is in the states, and my last order (made last month) which consisted of mainly caps, some ics, a plastic enclosure, and other electronic miscellany did not have the $20 fee tacked on. How much does your order total to? They might only put it on really small orders as my last one was something like $47 before shipping and whatnot.

EDIT: Nevermind, I know why. You must be ordering one or more items that are labeled: "Farnell UK Direct Ship" which means that they don't have the item(s) available stateside, so they have to put in a special order direct from the UK. I generally avoid those items. See if they don't offer an equivalent that is in stock stateside. They should as they have a crap ton of caps in general.

I didnt think about that...Yeah I think I had a cap on there from like japan or something it was the only one that I didnt have to order 5 + just to get one! Cool I'll go change the order up a little! I need those caps cause my local dealer takes so long to get em and well he doesnt have much stock...

I live in Abilene, TX...Im about 2 hrs from you...I drive on the outskirts of DFW when I go to houston to get to danbury (my home town)!

exile

Hello gents

I'm new to the boards and needed help with my american Turbo Duo. It loads CD fine but the sound it barely audible can anyone help me out here?

Charlie

So, you searched and didn't find "http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=960.0" or maybe
"http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=960.165"?

Hope this is not an omen!!

Charlie

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:44:20 AM by Charlie »

blueraven

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo: Total capacitor replacement chart
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2009, 09:05:04 PM »
This is the PC Engine Duo I posted about in the Soundfix thread. Fortunately, replacing all of the caps (specifically the cluster around the heat-synchs) took care of the crackling and fades.

Redbook and Huey music running perfectly; clear graphics and sound. I re-flowed the solder on the AV port as well, and exclusively used NTK Hi-Temp Capacitors. The guys at the electronics store are going to start stocking them in bulk for me, so hopefully this won't be the first repair I report on.

Having the chart in front of me is really invaluable. Thanks again, RedGhost.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 09:07:00 PM by blueraven »
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

chriscomputers

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo: Total capacitor replacement chart
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »
I have a question about some capacitors I just replaced on a Turbo Duo. I was having a CD player warm up issue. I replaced 4 of the caps below The CD player shown in my picture here circled in Red and it fixed my problem. I used 3 100UF 100V and then one 22UF 6.3V. I know the 3 100UF 100V will be fine but what about the 22UF at 6.3V? Think 6.3V is enough? I noticed on the old cap it read 22 6A 28H.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:01:19 PM by chriscomputers »

Keith Courage

I have a question. I notice that on my duo there are quite a few capacitors that say 4.7 and then 6V afterwards. However at the beginning this article you say that 16V should be fine for all except the 3.3UF at 50V. So should I use 6V caps for those 4.7UF or should I use 16V?

Duo_R

16v is fine. You can go a little extra.
Add my YouTube channel: http://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

BlueBMW

Yeah you can always go higher voltage that what is called for but higher voltage caps are typically larger in size which can sometimes cause issues with physical space.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

grahf

I've got a spare IFU-30 (interface unit) coming in the mail, and I think I'll replace all the caps for the hell of it. It just feels good to know that everything is fresh inside.

SNKNostalgia

I've got a spare IFU-30 (interface unit) coming in the mail, and I think I'll replace all the caps for the hell of it. It just feels good to know that everything is fresh inside.

Good to see your back state-side grahf (lol... a while now, but still). Still making those mod boards? I still praise your work for the region and S-video mods.

Yep, I had to do the cap replacement myself before I sent my system off. It just happened to start having CD audio problems a little before you modded my system. I even had to replace the lens due to my CD-R phase, which I stay away from those now. I soon rather fire up the magic engine to play translated Ys 4 or Xak III which won't work on hardware anyways.