Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo: Total capacitor replacement chart  (Read 15663 times)

thesteve

the 3.3 is a common failure part
nobody changes the BRAM cap

ConHuevos

Hi everyone, just joined this forum because my Turbo Duo had extremely low audio.  I decided I'd replace the caps and ordered a whole batch of 105C caps off of Digikey.  I'm no stranger to soldering, but this is my first time replacing capacitors.  Could someone please explain to me how to know which end gets soldered where (+/-)?  Thanks.

I've already taken several closeup pictures of my Duo's motherboard before pulling the caps so I'll know exactly where everything was, and just pulled them all yesterday:

The red circled areas had leaked all over and it smelled like bad fish when I took some of the caps off in those areas.  Some of the electrolyte fluid had corroded a couple of the solder pads, but I was able to clean some of it and salvage the pads (thank goodness)!  The parts should be here around Tuesday and hopefully I can start then.  So ya, if someone could help me on the +/- guidance for the caps, I'd appreciate it, thanks!

BlueBMW

On the cap replacement chart at the beginning of this thread, the black side is the negative side.  Typically on the board they're marked with either white around the hole (for through mount caps) or the flat squared side of the SMT shape printed on the board.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

ConHuevos

Ok thanks, and I'm correct in assuming that the longer lead on the capacitors is negative?

BlueBMW

Ok thanks, and I'm correct in assuming that the longer lead on the capacitors is negative?

The sides of the capacitors housing should be marked with a line or bar indicating which side is negative.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

gilao

I have a Turbo Duo and was without sound, the sound was very low even changed all the capacitors, now the Hu Card games have sound normal, but the games on CD still has very low sound, have to increase the TV volume at most and is still down, anyone know what can be ? ThankĀ“s.

ConHuevos

Quick question...I don't see the location of the 3.3uF 50V capacitor anywhere on the diagram.  Where does that one go?

thesteve

3.3 is under the cd drive wires

ConHuevos

Got it, just replaced all my caps and sound is working 100% on hucards and cd games again:

Now my CD drive doesn't spin up though.  The laser is still powered and tries to read the disc, but it doesn't spin.  I'm hoping I just forgot to plug something in but what could that be?  It worked perfectly fine before I did this.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I had the CD wires in the way, also forgot the disc won't spin unless the laser detects the disc first.  Works great now!  Another Turbo Duo saved from the capacitor leak issue!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:23:41 PM by ConHuevos »

HercTNT

Stories like this bring tears to my eyes. Another success story from the Pcenginefx STTF "Save The Turbo Foundation".

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Another Duo saved to OBEY another day!  Well done, ConHuevos.  8)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ConHuevos

Ok, today I noticed something that isn't normal.  I'm only getting audio from one channel.  My white audio plug has no audio coming out of the duo, via hucard or CD-ROM.

Any idea what can cause this? :(

I hope it's something simple I overlooked.  Worst case scenario...how much would it cost to have this repaired by one of the board members? :(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:00:48 PM by ConHuevos »

thesteve

could be your AV cable

ConHuevos

could be your AV cable

As much as I would like it to be, I don't think it is =/.

BlueBMW

If its not your AV cables, then its probably a corroded via or trace caused by the leaked cap fluid.  Did you clean the board really well before you put the new caps in?