Author Topic: CDROM2 and Super CDROM2 games for Wii?  (Read 4595 times)

ceti alpha

Re: CDROM2 and Super CDROM2 games for Wii?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 02:11:36 AM »
I doubt it will happen

Yeah, I don't know why, but I think that as well.  :-s

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Odonadon

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 03:30:19 PM »
Well they have already confirmed Neo Geo VC releases, and I'm pretty sure the later titles are around 70MB or so. I'm pretty sure Dracula X would be half that size, of that, as long as they MP3ed the music.

Neo Geo Roms are typically between 10 and 30MB.  Example: Fatal Fury is 4MB, Fatal Fury 3 is 19MB, KoF '99 is 22MB, Metal Slug is 13MB, Metal Slug 2 is 18MB, etc.  N64 ROMs are typically in the 20MB range. 

DracX MP3ized with 128kbps MP3 comes to 80MB.  There is actually significant difference there that wasn't obvious to me until I wrote these numbers down :)

The actual game data of even the hugest PCE CD is incredibly small. Much much smaller than, say, N64 games, which they are already doing.

Erm, well, not really.  Monster Lair is the one of the smallest games MP3ized, coming in at 66MB, definitely a lot larger than an N64 game - the largest N64 ROM I have is 32MB, half the size of Monster Lair.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 04:19:23 PM »
Quote from: Odonadon

Neo Geo Roms are typically between 10 and 30MB.  Example: Fatal Fury is 4MB, Fatal Fury 3 is 19MB, KoF '99 is 22MB, Metal Slug is 13MB, Metal Slug 2 is 18MB, etc.  N64 ROMs are typically in the 20MB range. 

Yes, but the games people actually want to play are much bigger. KoF 2003 is 716mb (about 80 MB, I'd guess).

Erm, well, not really.  Monster Lair is the one of the smallest games MP3ized, coming in at 66MB, definitely a lot larger than an N64 game - the largest N64 ROM I have is 32MB, half the size of Monster Lair.

By "actual game data" I meant everything but the music tracks, meaning the parts that can't be compressed to MP3. This would usually be track 2 of a PCE game. What I was getting at is that we all think of PCE games as being these 700 MB monsters, but they are pretty much as small as they want them to be depending on how much they want to ruin the redbook. The actual game data, the program, its usually just a couple of MB, if that, from what I remember.

Odonadon

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 03:47:20 PM »
Quote from: Odonadon

Yes, but the games people actually want to play are much bigger. KoF 2003 is 716mb (about 80 MB, I'd guess).
That's one of the larger ones, yeah.  KoF 2000 comes in at 80MB so 2003 is probably bigger.  But I'm thinking due to the size of these bad boys, we'll see mostly the smaller games coming out on the VC for Neo Geo.

By "actual game data" I meant everything but the music tracks, meaning the parts that can't be compressed to MP3. This would usually be track 2 of a PCE game. What I was getting at is that we all think of PCE games as being these 700 MB monsters, but they are pretty much as small as they want them to be depending on how much they want to ruin the redbook. The actual game data, the program, its usually just a couple of MB, if that, from what I remember.
[/quote]

In that case, Monster Lair's data (using it cuz it's the smallest I have), is about 33MB - still pretty hefty compared to an N64 title.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

kenomac78

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 04:19:54 AM »
the whole marketing scheme of  'megs'  from back then makes me forget that those games are actually on the small side compared to ordinary computer files we use everyday now.

it certainly is an exciting prospect.  when the neogeo games finally hit, we can see if they  compressed it all up and see how many blocks it takes, and the tg cd games would follow suit.

with the way hudson is cranking out every chip game almost, at a record pace compared to nintendo's VC releases, it seems like we will get to see most of the 40 or do us cd games. but it would never be complete and perfect without the few 3rd party games it had. meaning all the working designs games as well as beyond shadowgate.

until then i have almost all the cdrom games, anybody want to buy them from me?  :dance:

handygrafx

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 05:08:13 AM »
http://release.nikkei.co.jp/detail.cfm?relID=170238&lindID=1

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

it's worldwide.

First releases seem to be Ys Book 1 & 2 and Chou Aniki.

support for  Akumajo Dracula X: Rondo of Blood might happen.

Dark Fact

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 09:11:03 AM »
Ys Book I & II? :shock: YS BOOK I & II??? :shock:

*heel click* Aw hell yeah!!! :mrgreen:

Quote from: Turbo D
I doubt it will happen
You were saying? :wink:

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Keranu

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 10:40:10 AM »
Guys it's true! Aaron told me himself on MSN!

All I have to say is: HAHAHAHHAHAA TO ALL OF THOSE WHO DISBELIEVED IN IT!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Turbo D

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 10:43:02 AM »
Quote from: Turbo D
I doubt it will happen
You were saying? :wink:
rofl, I'm as surprised as anyone.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 10:44:45 AM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190116 (exact thread on Neogaf)

I need to find my post way back hinting to everyone about this since I knew that it was in the works for a while...
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

nat

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 10:45:28 AM »
I kept my mouth shut on this one because I knew it could go either way.

Although I'm relatively surprised it happened so soon. I thought if it ever happened they'd completely exhaust the cartridge library before doing the CD games.

Turbo D

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 10:51:54 AM »
I don't know, I'm still a bit skeptical that it'll happen. Well, at least for the US virtual console  :-k

Anyways, heres a rough translation of that page:

Start of the download service of the game software 2 title of HUDSON, "a/the virtual console" correspondence

With "Wii (R)" of 'a/the virtual console' the game of CD-ROM2 is able to play!

"PC engine CD-ROM2" "PC engine super CD-ROM2" of correspondence title October from, the start of a/the download service

《文字数オーバー》
  You become able to enjoy the game of the large capacity that spent CD-ROM on a/the medium in addition to the title for a conventional PC engine, by this.

A/the user chooses the game title of liking with the shopping channel of Wii and download via the Internet.  You could use launching from (Nintendo) to payment a/the credit card, Wii point prepaid card.  Of to every "PC engine CD-ROM2" "PC engine super CD-ROM2" for 1 download of a/the title a/the price is planning a/the from 800Wii point.
※ 1Wii point=1 yen=a 1 American cent=1 euro a/the cent=1.5 Australia cent

North America in November of the last year the our company is start be wide 'a/the virtual console' business in present year July and also in Australia in, start and in December of the same year Japan/Europe 49 titles, worlds in Japan at present, at the end of August and 154 titles including the other companies titles are delivered and have obtained popularity.  A/the delivery title number is being added gradually, from now on.

■ "PC engine CD-ROM2" "PC engine super CD-ROM2" of a/the download service about the price of 1 download: each 800Wii point~delivery title: 2007 within 5 or more titles, 2008 within 10 or more titles as for a/the plan ※ reference image, please refer to the relation data.

The system that is able to download game software through the Internet on the new-style game machine "Wii" of Nintendo, about ■ 'a/the virtual console'.  A/the user is able to enjoy the various game software that were launched for the game machine for the home in the past with Wii.  (Old: NEC home electronics Co., Ltd.) our company supplies the game software that was launched for the game machine "the PC engine" the series that developed joint to, this 'a/the virtual console' a/the direction our company and NEC CORP. and be intend the effective utilization of the abundant game property in the past.  《主語なし》Furthermore it is delivering from our company, regarding the PC engine title that was launched from other companies.

About ■ "a/the PC engine" and also "TurboGrafx16" "a/the PC engine" be 24,800 yen launching, (on October 30, 1987 the computer game special device for the home that a/the NEC home electronics company launched).  Original LSI "the C62 system" that our company developed is installed.  The high speed/highly efficient that overthrows the common sense in the sound (the stereo 6ch sound source, 2ch sound output possibility) etc., that time that have the beauty (512 color) and force of the processing speed, graphic of a CPU was materialized.  Even that supplied soft it with ultra small large capacity plastic ROM "Hu-CARD (Turbo Chip)" also is one of a/the topic.  《主語なし》It is launching even "a PC engine CD-ROM2 system", as the computer game special device at the beginning of the world that used CD-ROM for a/the game medium on December 4, 1988.  "TurboGrafx16" was launched in North America from 1989 as the overseas edition of a/the PC engine and was launched as "TurboGrafx" in Europe.

Please refer to the ※ photograph that a/the photograph is able to enjoy the game for super CD-ROM2 for CD-ROM2, for "PC engine DUO-R" the PC engine that was launched in March, 1993 the relation data.

※ Wii is trade mark of Nintendo.
The company name, product name that are entered ※ are trade mark or trademark of each company.
● Relation link

*A/the HUDSON Co., Ltd. homepage

● Relation data

*A/the reference image*photograph": "PC engine DUO-R

esteban

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 10:56:21 AM »
I am surprised they announced this already. I thought that they would want to milk the HuCards for every last cent before offering CD games.

Of course, this is a very interesting development. :)

|    | 

evilmax17

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2007, 11:39:49 AM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190116 (exact thread on Neogaf)

I need to find my post way back hinting to everyone about this since I knew that it was in the works for a while...

Do you know anything about the way they are implementing it?  There are concerns over the Wii's limited storage space, so I'm very curious to see how they circumvented this.

If they separated the music tracks and compressed them, then each CD game could come in at 10-20 meg apiece, which isn't bad at all.

kenomac78

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2007, 12:16:57 PM »
everyone is talking about the compression etc. but no one mentioned something  else important, NO MORE LOAD TIMES!  wow its going to be great to not wait 15 seconds or more to switch  cutscenes or stages. though i will miss the little 'rrrr' when switching up music tracks.