Author Topic: Getting real  (Read 1209 times)

2X4

Getting real
« on: November 17, 2007, 01:29:14 AM »
Hi, my name is 2X4, and I don't own a Nintendo.

rest of forum:  Hi 2x4

I know I'm the only fool on this thread who doesn't own an orignal NES, but I want to change that.  I figured you guys could tell me the best place to get one, after getting your shots in.  Can ya help a brother out? 
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

guyjin

Re: Getting real
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 04:48:16 AM »
Find a used game store in your area. find out how much a NES costs. if they don't carry the NES, it's not a real used games store.

Compare that with a NEX (NES clone); decide wether the price difference is worth it to deal with blinking.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Kitsunexus

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 05:51:29 AM »
Well I own a NES, but, as with most, the 40-pin connector is busted, meaning that instead of a NES, I own a globe stand.

One day I'll buy a gold-plated connector, one day.

nat

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 05:52:07 AM »
Get a NEX. They are the greatest. Two slots: one for Famicom carts and one for NES carts. Plus you can use any NES-compatible controller. Plus they have wireless capability BUILT IN. Plus they never blink. There are like 3 or 4 games that won't work with it, but when you're talking about an overall library of thousands of games, what's 3 or 4? Plus, the power supply is the size of my thumb.

The one downfall, if it can be considered as such, is that certain colors in the pallete are slightly different shades than the original NES. Not all colors mind you, but a few. If your TV is like mine it will have a number of configurable presets for different contrast/color set-ups. I adjusted one of the presets (by adjusting Hue/Tint and all that) so that the NEX, when played with that preset, looks the same on screen as my real NES. You would never know the difference! Even without that ability, the color thing is pretty minor. A casual gamer would never even notice.

guyjin

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 06:11:06 AM »
There are like 3 or 4 games that won't work with it, but when you're talking about an overall library of thousands of games, what's 3 or 4?

Well, one of those 3 or 4 is Castlevania 3, which a lot of people think is one of the best NES games.

EDIT:
Other games you might, but aren't likely to, care about that don't work:
Bandit kings of ancient china
Gemfire
nobunaga's ambition 2
Rad Racer 2
Romance of the 3 kingdoms 2
Uncharted waters
WWF king of the ring
WWF Wrestlemania challenge

(notice that a lot of these are Koei games. What the hell were they doing that was so weird?)
the rest are pirate, crap, or pirate crap. But I repeat myself.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 06:27:52 AM by guyjin »

nat

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 06:14:05 AM »
True, but that's the only worthwhile game that won't work. Get Castlevania I and II instead!

Turbo D

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 06:28:10 AM »
I own the version 2 nes with the bitchin' dogbone controller  8) 8) 8)

nat

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 06:30:29 AM »
Aww, shucks. I was just about to buy a copy of WWF King of the Ring.  ](*,)   :roll:

guyjin

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 06:31:56 AM »
Yeah, The toploader is cool, but they're damn expensive and you have to mod them to get A/V.

Not that the NEX is without hardware problems; the thing is very light compared to the cartridge, and has a vice grip; I basically have to hold the console with one hand and the cart with the other to get the cart out.

Black Tiger

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 06:36:43 AM »
Hi, my name is 2X4, and I don't own a Nintendo.

rest of forum:  Hi 2x4

I know I'm the only fool on this thread who doesn't own an orignal NES, but I want to change that.  I figured you guys could tell me the best place to get one, after getting your shots in.  Can ya help a brother out? 

Most second hand stores and flea markets around here have them for around $5.

I'd buy a tested complete set from eBay, probably boxed, if I was looking to get my first one.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

2X4

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 07:09:55 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.  I am looking for a genuine NES, and there aren't any used game shops around here, so I am looking for an online source.  Of course ebay comes to mind, I thought maybe one of you might know an online store that would be better . . .?

guyjin

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 07:42:55 AM »
where is 'around here' for you, anyway? that might help.

2X4

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 08:05:44 AM »
sorry, central Nebraska.  Midwest SYYYYDE! 8)

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 08:41:50 AM »
Check out your local thrift stores, I've found some there for like $1-3. Having a blinking connector is actually kind of fun because you have to master the art of loading NES games by very specific means of blowing on the cartridge and adjusting it inside the NES just right. You can also buy a new connector for it, but when I tried that it didn't seem to help much.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Turbo D

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 08:44:57 AM »
the toaster was just a poor design. I know it looks bad-ass, but its not too reliable. The toploader has less problems, but isn't as cool.