Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboExpress: Total capacitor replacement chart  (Read 9585 times)

mickcris

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboExpress: Total capacitor replacement chart
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2015, 10:15:16 AM »
Make sure the wiring for the inductor is still connected to its traces on the board. Sometimes when uncovering it one end can snap off. I've used a two part epoxy to cover it back up in the past when I've accidentally uncovered it. Not sure if it needs it but it can't hurt anything to cover again. I'm sure hot glue would work nicely as well.

Use any kind of caps you want.

Thanks, its still connected so ill just cover it back up to be safe.

edit:

replaced all the caps with ceramics/tantalum and its working great.  also covered up the inductor in hot glue as it was the easiest.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:38:26 AM by mickcris »

scoobs22

« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
Hi all.. this is my first post here, and this looks like a really cool and helpful community. So this may be a hail Mary, considering the thread is so old... but here goes.

I bought a TE on eBay recently, and it was advertised as "in great shape." It works, and the headphone audio is fine, but the speaker hardly makes a whisper. There's a little bit of image ghosting on the screen, too. From what I've read, this is all likely the result of bad capacitors.

Now, I've done a little bit of soldering to replace batteries in NES games and such, but I'm still a total amateur. So this was a bit too much of an investment for me to feel comfortable messing with it myself. Is there anyone here located in the US who could replace all the capacitors for me? If you're experienced with TE repair and can do the job, please do send me a PM.

Thanks!

MotherGunner

« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2015, 05:36:55 PM »
Welcome! Hit up guys like thesteve, and keith courage.  They will do the repair work for a price that's well worth it.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

780racer

« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2016, 03:34:16 PM »
I just want to thank everyone in here who has helped make this place so awesome. Got some replacement caps, and last night replaced them all in the express I got from a local retail store for dirt when they found out it didn't work.

I can not OBEY on the GO!. Woot. (I'm just excited I fixed something that was broken... Its always exciting)
Switchzx's amazing quote -
"I was starting with the hardest to get games first. I realized I was never going to get Magical Chase so gave up on it all, sold up and got out."

Blueraven's quote - "it begins."

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/695/show-collection.html

Keith Courage

« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2017, 10:33:05 PM »

xybots

« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2022, 03:42:15 PM »
Hi All

Ive just recapped my PC Engine GT today, and every cap had leaked I didn't have a 4.7UF 50V so I used a 4.7uf 35V and it worked a charm.
I was wondering would I do any damage to my PC Engine GT as I should of replaced it with 4.7UF 50V.

The Pc Engine GT is working great but just wanted to make sure if it ok to use 4.7uf 35V

thanks

MasterofBiscuits

« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2022, 06:52:57 AM »
50v is the maximum rated voltage the cap can handle, so using a lower voltage is not advisable. I would replace it with one of the correct voltage ASAP.