Author Topic: I run an import game store in Japan  (Read 3114 times)

MissaFX

Re: I run an import game store in Japan
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 04:34:16 PM »
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna FX - $27.00  - Barely high, I would lower it to 25 dollars if you can
Team Innocent - $19.00 - Anywhere from 10-20 dollars is a fine for this one
First Kiss Monogatari  - $49.00 - If you really hunt for this title (because I have) you can find it this price new, but you can also find it used for more.  It is one of the later titles if not the last if memory serves me and more rare than many titles.  So this should sell at this price given time.
Tengai Makyo Karakuri - $47.00 - a fair price, should sell easly
Chip Chan Kick 109.00 - a good price, should sell easly
Tokimeki Card Paradise $105.00 - a good price, should sell easly
Boundary Gate - $29.00 - Right on the high end for it (but not unreasonable).  You can get it for 25 dollars if you hunt ebay for a few months or less.
Tenchi-muyo Ryououki FX -  $29.00 - seems fine
Fire Woman Matoi-gumi -  $39.00 - this one can be obtained used for 20-25 dollars on ebay with a little hunting.  I might have paid 18 myself?  It has been a while since I purchased it.
Cutey Honey FX -  $89.00 - Another really, really variable title.  Sometimes people sell it for 30 dollars, sometimes 50, sometimes 80, sometimes 100.  I think maybe people impulse buy this one without hunting for it is all I can figure.  It may or may not sell at that price, hard to say.
Can Can Bunny Extra DX - $29.00 - I think I paid 20 for it used, but I have not hunted around for the price on this one too much, I bought it with some other games just to flesh out my collection when I was already buying some other games from the same seller.
Battle Heat - $11.00 - a fair price, should sell easly
Angelique Special - $9.00 - a fair price, should sell easly

I just checked out your site too and the budget titles you have there which you did not list here are also a fair price.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:43:46 PM by MissaFX »
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

T2KFreeker

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 05:02:23 PM »
Wish I would have known you wanted one as I just sold one with three games for $100 shipped!!!

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
END OF LINE.

Sensei

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 06:21:03 PM »
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna FX - $27.00  - Barely high, I would lower it to 25 dollars if you can
Team Innocent - $19.00 - Anywhere from 10-20 dollars is a fine for this one
First Kiss Monogatari  - $49.00 - If you really hunt for this title (because I have) you can find it this price new, but you can also find it used for more.  It is one of the later titles if not the last if memory serves me and more rare than many titles.  So this should sell at this price given time.
Tengai Makyo Karakuri - $47.00 - a fair price, should sell easly
Chip Chan Kick 109.00 - a good price, should sell easly
Tokimeki Card Paradise $105.00 - a good price, should sell easly
Boundary Gate - $29.00 - Right on the high end for it (but not unreasonable).  You can get it for 25 dollars if you hunt ebay for a few months or less.
Tenchi-muyo Ryououki FX -  $29.00 - seems fine
Fire Woman Matoi-gumi -  $39.00 - this one can be obtained used for 20-25 dollars on ebay with a little hunting.  I might have paid 18 myself?  It has been a while since I purchased it.
Cutey Honey FX -  $89.00 - Another really, really variable title.  Sometimes people sell it for 30 dollars, sometimes 50, sometimes 80, sometimes 100.  I think maybe people impulse buy this one without hunting for it is all I can figure.  It may or may not sell at that price, hard to say.
Can Can Bunny Extra DX - $29.00 - I think I paid 20 for it used, but I have not hunted around for the price on this one too much, I bought it with some other games just to flesh out my collection when I was already buying some other games from the same seller.
Battle Heat - $11.00 - a fair price, should sell easly
Angelique Special - $9.00 - a fair price, should sell easly

I just checked out your site too and the budget titles you have there which you did not list here are also a fair price.

Thank you so much!  That really, really helps.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 03:16:50 AM »
Welcome aboard.  You're PC-FX prices are mostly reasonable, so you shouldn't have a hard time peddling 'em to the ebay haters (a.k.a. - everyone) and anyone that would rather spend a couple extra dollars to play now rather than bargain hunt for months.  The only thing that might hurt you is shipping, but that's beyond your control and not so bad when buying multiple titles.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Sensei

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 04:15:08 AM »
Welcome aboard.  You're PC-FX prices are mostly reasonable, so you shouldn't have a hard time peddling 'em to the ebay haters (a.k.a. - everyone) and anyone that would rather spend a couple extra dollars to play now rather than bargain hunt for months.  The only thing that might hurt you is shipping, but that's beyond your control and not so bad when buying multiple titles.

Thanks so much for your comments.  Our shipping prices are not too bad actually. I jewel case game ships (airmail) anywhere for $5.  The "big box" games cost $7.  But buying several games of course drops the price even more.  We don't make any money off shipping.

Soviet Conscript

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 07:32:49 PM »
I got excited when i saw the MSX in your title banner thing upon going to the page but didn't see any msx games or systems on the site  :cry:

some nice stuff at decent prices. if i wasn't already spending a ton of cash on imports from a few ppl i would of made some purchases
Oh my god! They're not even human!

Sensei

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 12:05:43 AM »
I got excited when i saw the MSX in your title banner thing upon going to the page but didn't see any msx games or systems on the site  :cry:

some nice stuff at decent prices. if i wasn't already spending a ton of cash on imports from a few ppl i would of made some purchases

We have a Panasonic MSX and about 7 games in store right now, but we want to get more before we add an MSX section to the site.  It's a work in progress.

Soviet Conscript

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 12:43:59 PM »

We have a Panasonic MSX and about 7 games in store right now, but we want to get more before we add an MSX section to the site.  It's a work in progress.

awsome, i acually sent your site an email yesterday with a question on the special order process. i'm looking for an MSX2 so i'll keep an eye on your site.
Oh my god! They're not even human!

Sensei

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 10:21:13 PM »

awsome, i acually sent your site an email yesterday with a question on the special order process. i'm looking for an MSX2 so i'll keep an eye on your site.
[/quote]

We are looking for a boxed one at a reasonable price right now.

But as a general answer to everyone, here is how the special order process works:

1. Make a request through the site (or through a PM to me if you wish)
2. We will then search for the item for you.  We work with 5 different wholesalers and several actual stores.  From these we will take a best price, add a few dollars (for our costs) and then quote you a price.
3. If the price seems reasonable to you, we will make a special order page for your item(s) and send you a link to it.  You can pay from there.
4. It takes between 4-7 days for us to get the item (less if we can get it locally).
5. We test every item to make sure it works and is in good condition before we send it out.

The items you see listed on our site (not special order) are mostly in stock right now and will ship out right away.  (There are a few expensive items listed that we don't keep on hand, but we can get them quickly)

And as always, if you have any questions just ask.

nat

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 10:38:04 PM »
Hi there (and welcome), I'm a few days late on this, but your prices are pretty much on target. SOme are a little lower, some a little higher than fair market value but you definitely have the idea and if your list is anything to judge by, I'd go to you in a heartbeat over, say, eBay.

geepee16

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 05:17:19 AM »
hi there,
   most of the prices seem good but i think the following would have to come down a little bit to be in the fair range imo:

cutey honey is hard to find at times because there are a few clowns on yahoo auction who bought up quite a few of them and sell them for a lot of money but, i have seen it going for $60 when it pops up in stores

team innocent can go fairly for $16 i think

tenchi muyo can go fairly for $20+

yuna can go fairly for $18-$22

other games really fluctuate.  you should concentrate on the cheap games that have been a little harder to find such as:

super power league fx
blue chicago blues
return to zork
  as these are highly playable for non-japanese speakers, are relatively cheap, were full releases, two of them are pc engine sequels and - for whatever reason, not in great circulation right now.  team innocent and battle heat are must-owns and the most well-known games for the console.  they are also among the most common.  i have sold lots of them over the years while shopping for friends and have never had to look far to get buy them for $9-$12.  the occasional store will sell them for too much (e.g. akihabara's newest store is retro game and they were selling T.I. for like $40 today which is a RIIIIIIIIIIIIIP off imo).

you should also focus on the ceap JRPGs like:

blue breaker
lunatic dawn
last imperial prince
  which you can sell fairly (and find easily!) for $20+.  well, blue breaker should never go too far above $15 really as it is very common.

if you're thinking of going the FX route and need to keep it cheap for all involved, these games are the best way to go for a start. good luck!

Sensei

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 01:56:07 PM »
Thank you so much for your comments.  Thank you for taking so much time to write a thorough post.  It gave me a lot to think about.  I am going to try to respond to some of the main points now.

hi there,
  most of the prices seem good but i think the following would have to come down a little bit to be in the fair range imo:

cutey honey is hard to find at times because there are a few clowns on yahoo auction who bought up quite a few of them and sell them for a lot of money but, i have seen it going for $60 when it pops up in stores

team innocent can go fairly for $16 i think

tenchi muyo can go fairly for $20+

yuna can go fairly for $18-$22

Yeah, from time to time I see these games in stores at low prices and if I was running this store as a hobby I would be picking them up and listing them here.  Unfortunately since this is a business I cannot depend on the inventory of local gameshops (or places like Yahoo auctions for that matter).  We can often have 20+ orders coming in a day and it would be impossible to be constantly visiting stops to fill all of them.  We did that in the early days and right now we have bought everything worth buying at all the game stores in the city and neighboring cities.

We rely on Japanese wholesalers and resellers.  About 3 times a week we place large orders to several different places to restock our inventory.  Most of these places don’t carry PC-FX at all.  From the ones that do, we choose the lowest prices.

Cutie Honey is a good example.  We can’t get it for $60 (stores can because they buy it from people for $20).  On a shopping trip I might see a copy for, say, $50.  I could sell that one copy for $60 and still make a profit but I would have to be constantly adjusting the prices on each individual item.  It is, sadly, not a feasible solution.

We have to sell for the prices we know we can consistently buy the items for.  And that sucks for us too because we know some of these things are overpriced (as I said in my first post).  The only options we really have are to delist the product and not deal with it or keep it on at its high price.  We can’t run all over town every time we sell something and we can’t sell items at a loss.

We do however work as hard as we can to keep our prices lower than places like eBay and other online stores.

other games really fluctuate.  you should concentrate on the cheap games that have been a little harder to find such as:

super power league fx
blue chicago blues
return to zork
 as these are highly playable for non-japanese speakers, are relatively cheap, were full releases, two of them are pc engine sequels and - for whatever reason, not in great circulation right now.

Are Return to Zork and Blue Chicago Blues highly playable for non-Japanese speakers?  I know they were both originally American games, but I was led to believe that the PC-FX versions are entirely re-dubbed in Japanese with Japanese menus.

But yeah, we actually have both of those games on order right now.

team innocent and battle heat are must-owns and the most well-known games for the console.  they are also among the most common.  i have sold lots of them over the years while shopping for friends and have never had to look far to get buy them for $9-$12.  the occasional store will sell them for too much (e.g. akihabara's newest store is retro game and they were selling T.I. for like $40 today which is a RIIIIIIIIIIIIIP off imo).

Yeah, we get Battle heat fairly cheap and sell it for $11.  We used to sell it for $9 but the distributor who had it at that low price sold all their copies (probably to us)

Team Innocent is an enigma to me.  It should be the most common and cheapest title on the system but it doesn't seem to be the case.  Our cheapest distributor charges $16 for it, plus shipping of course, (One wholesaler wants $33 a copy for it!) and the local retro stores are charging like $25 a copy for it.  I KNOW if should be cheaper than that.  We don’t really make a profit on this game at this time.  The only reason we offer it on our store at all is that it is a popular game and it would be weird if we didn’t have it. 

you should also focus on the ceap JRPGs like:

blue breaker
lunatic dawn
last imperial prince
 which you can sell fairly (and find easily!) for $20+.  well, blue breaker should never go too far above $15 really as it is very common.

Yup, we have most of those on order.

if you're thinking of going the FX route and need to keep it cheap for all involved, these games are the best way to go for a start. good luck!

Again thank you so much for your comments.  I have read a lot of your posts and I know you are helping the PC-FX community a lot by finding those common titles for people and selling them pretty much at cost to the fans.  I hope I can turn my store into a good place for people to buy games as well.  With the help of people like you and all the other supportive comments I have received here I just might be able to.  Thank you everyone.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:59:48 PM by Sensei »

MissaFX

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 06:49:38 PM »
Return to Zork at least has the origional menus from the DOS/win95 version.  The graphics are unaltered, so the warning sighs and such are in English (which I find kinda funny for those Japanese players after I have played so many American localized games with Kanji signs).  The speah is in Japanese.  The FMV looks worse than many games because the PC version was at like 180Xsomething lines (or maybe slightly worse than that) and this FMV was generated on a computer that poorly.  The company who made the FX game though did get a hold of copys of the master tapes of the real life people and the king, which they re-rendered for the FX.  It seems kinda silly at times when they mix the two sources over each other, but wow is it nice they took the time to render all that live acting footage for the FX.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer

Sensei

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 02:49:54 AM »
Return to Zork at least has the origional menus from the DOS/win95 version.  The graphics are unaltered, so the warning sighs and such are in English (which I find kinda funny for those Japanese players after I have played so many American localized games with Kanji signs).  The speah is in Japanese.  The FMV looks worse than many games because the PC version was at like 180Xsomething lines (or maybe slightly worse than that) and this FMV was generated on a computer that poorly.  The company who made the FX game though did get a hold of copys of the master tapes of the real life people and the king, which they re-rendered for the FX.  It seems kinda silly at times when they mix the two sources over each other, but wow is it nice they took the time to render all that live acting footage for the FX.

I'm guessing it's the same for Blue Chicago Blues.  A shame.

Still if people are interested in those games, I would be more than happy to stock them.

MissaFX

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »
A good number of people here are just getting into the FX so if you can get FX-BMPs at a reasonable price (the FX memory card) I am sure that there are people here and elsewhere who need one.  Once you start massing the RPGs and Simulation games you really need that extra save space.  Some games like Dragon Knight 4 take up I think 14k of the 32k of internal save ram.