Author Topic: I run an import game store in Japan  (Read 3116 times)

Sensei

Re: I run an import game store in Japan
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »
A good number of people here are just getting into the FX so if you can get FX-BMPs at a reasonable price (the FX memory card) I am sure that there are people here and elsewhere who need one.  Once you start massing the RPGs and Simulation games you really need that extra save space.  Some games like Dragon Knight 4 take up I think 14k of the 32k of internal save ram.

What is considered a good price on those.  I see them from time to time for around $35 (give or take) but that seems high to pay for a memory card.  (then again that's what the neo-geo AES ones run)

nat

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 04:53:35 PM »
I bought one on eBay a year or two ago for $9 from a Hong Kong seller. It was complete in box. It was the first one that came up when I did a search, and I just bought it. I never shopped for one before or since, but that's my 2 cents.

nectarsis

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 04:58:10 PM »
They don't seem to pop up on Ebay often.  The average I've seen points to around your $35 give or take price.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Sensei

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »
They don't seem to pop up on Ebay often.  The average I've seen points to around your $35 give or take price.

Well if that's the price they go for, I could certainly stock them at my store for around that price.

Oh and if anyone was wondering we are doing some revamps to the store right now and all the products are displaying as "out of stock", it should be working again in a few hours.  I'm adding a PC-Engine HuCard section and redoing the front page.

MissaFX

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 07:16:23 PM »

Well if that's the price they go for, I could certainly stock them at my store for around that price.

Oh and if anyone was wondering we are doing some revamps to the store right now and all the products are displaying as "out of stock", it should be working again in a few hours.  I'm adding a PC-Engine HuCard section and redoing the front page.

If they are loose they go from anywhere from 10-30 dollars, boxed and complete 40 isn't unreasonable.  Anything over 40 though starts getting into nuttyville.  At 35-40 dollars boxed you should not have too much problem selling them.  The nice thing about the PC-FX though is that you only need 1 memory card unless you like having backups of important save games.  So at least when you drop down 30-40 for a memory card you don't have to buy a stack of them.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

geepee16

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2008, 03:42:17 AM »
the FX BMP should never really go for more than $30 unless someone is impatient.  for your store though and given the nature of the FX market and its limited options, you could comfortably sell them for $35.  they would probably sell slowly at that price as $15-$25 is the normal price for one either boxed or not.  hey, slow is okay: first rule of economics is it's better to make a slow dime than a fast nickel.  telegames, ncsx and occasionally tzd followed that policy and did very well with it. i estimate that at $35, you could sell 10-20 units in the first year at a profit of $15 per unit.  at $25, you could probably sell over 25 units; way more if you get buyers buying other software to justify the shipping.

Sensei

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2008, 03:15:41 PM »
the FX BMP should never really go for more than $30 unless someone is impatient.  for your store though and given the nature of the FX market and its limited options, you could comfortably sell them for $35.  they would probably sell slowly at that price as $15-$25 is the normal price for one either boxed or not.  hey, slow is okay: first rule of economics is it's better to make a slow dime than a fast nickel.  telegames, ncsx and occasionally tzd followed that policy and did very well with it. i estimate that at $35, you could sell 10-20 units in the first year at a profit of $15 per unit.  at $25, you could probably sell over 25 units; way more if you get buyers buying other software to justify the shipping.

Yeah, shipping a CD game and a memory card is the same price as the memory card alone.  I will see what I can do about getting some in store.

As for other PC-FX stuff..  What about things like extra controllers or the mouse?  How much do those usually go for?  I don't usually sell accessories  but if there is a demand I could stock them.  Same with the PC boards I guess...

MissaFX

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »
There are already some places to get cheap controllers and mice, however it wouldn't hurt to stock one of each, you never know when someone might want to add it to their order to save on shipping.  There are a lot less places the get the FX-BMP though.  I agree with GeePee that at 35-40 dollars (for a FX-BMP) you will sell probably 10ish a year.  If you can find a source for them cheap, loose that would probably be ideal as I know many people will just plug it into their FX and never use the box again.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer

Sensei

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 03:34:46 PM »
There are already some places to get cheap controllers and mice, however it wouldn't hurt to stock one of each, you never know when someone might want to add it to their order to save on shipping.  There are a lot less places the get the FX-BMP though.  I agree with GeePee that at 35-40 dollars (for a FX-BMP) you will sell probably 10ish a year.  If you can find a source for them cheap, loose that would probably be ideal as I know many people will just plug it into their FX and never use the box again.

Ok, I will look for cheap loose ones.

(wow, if someone didn't know I was talking about FX-BMP that would sound really bad.)

Thanks for all your help guys.  I ask a question and like 10 minutes later it's answered.

geepee16

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2008, 01:49:20 AM »
if you need any help, i will be in tokyo for a few more days and in japan for a little over two weeks. 

by boards, do you mean the PCFXGA?  recently, a couple of cases must have been found because they have suddenly become common at $20-$25 a pop.  however, they are the pcFX98 versions.  i woule love to see you carrying those with an NECPC98 to use it on because the DOS boards are tougher to come by and the pc98 is hard to emulate for a pc clown such as myself.

extra controllers can be sold fairly for $20.  there is a store that sometimes sells them for less. i think they are called gdx or something like that.  i can find them for you if you would like.

Sensei

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2008, 03:00:06 AM »
if you need any help, i will be in tokyo for a few more days and in japan for a little over two weeks. 

by boards, do you mean the PCFXGA?  recently, a couple of cases must have been found because they have suddenly become common at $20-$25 a pop.  however, they are the pcFX98 versions.  i woule love to see you carrying those with an NECPC98 to use it on because the DOS boards are tougher to come by and the pc98 is hard to emulate for a pc clown such as myself.

extra controllers can be sold fairly for $20.  there is a store that sometimes sells them for less. i think they are called gdx or something like that.  i can find them for you if you would like.

Oh, you are only in Japan for a little bit longer?  I guess I though you were here long term like me.  That's too bad I was going to ask if we could meet up at Tokyo Game Show.  Hmm.. pc98s.. I wonder if I could get them.  Let me check, and if I can I might ask you to pick up those boards for me.

Windancer

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 08:20:10 PM »
I Just bought Batman case and manual 15.00 and a complete version of street fighter for 7.00 I didnt think those prices were bad at all. Cant wait to get them thanks Sensei.

Sensei

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 07:13:37 PM »
I Just bought Batman case and manual 15.00 and a complete version of street fighter for 7.00 I didnt think those prices were bad at all. Cant wait to get them thanks Sensei.

Thank you Windancer.  We try as hard as we can to keep our prices reasonable.  But right now our PC-Engine selection is rather poor (like 20 titles).  After I finish filling the PC-FX section I will get to work on getting some more PC-Engine games.  (maybe start another suggestion thread like this one).

Speaking of getting new games, I just added 10 more games to the PC-FX section of my site.  We now have about two thirds of all the normal titles released for the system.

I was only planning to have a small selection at first but since joining this forum and talking to people here I kind of caught PC-FX/PC-Engine fever.  I don't think of that as a bad thing.  You guys and gals have all been great.  Thank you.

nat

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 04:30:31 AM »
You need to get a copy of Shanghai: The Great Wall and Ruruli Ra Runrunrowrowyourboat for PC-FX. Those are my two personal holy grails. A friend and I don't actually believe these titles exist since they have never appeared for sale at any point online or elsewhere within the last 10 years. If you were to get a copy of each of these in stock, not only would I buy them right away, but consider you a god among men since clearly only an act of god will ever bring either of these games out of the woodwork.

MissaFX

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 05:58:23 AM »
You need to get a copy of Shanghai: The Great Wall and Ruruli Ra Runrunrowrowyourboat for PC-FX. Those are my two personal holy grails. A friend and I don't actually believe these titles exist since they have never appeared for sale at any point online or elsewhere within the last 10 years. If you were to get a copy of each of these in stock, not only would I buy them right away, but consider you a god among men since clearly only an act of god will ever bring either of these games out of the woodwork.

I just ordered RRR for about 60 bucks,  Now Shanghai on the other hand, I myself have never, ever seen for sale either.  The 3DO version is only worth 20 bucks if you just want the game, but I figure you are talking about FX completion.  Actually told Sensei last night some other people might want to buy RRR from here also, talk to him today and maybe he can order you one nat.  Everytime a set of all 64 games goes up for sale, I wonder where they get some of the card games for the system.