Author Topic: I run an import game store in Japan  (Read 3117 times)

Sensei

I run an import game store in Japan
« on: August 03, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »
Hey guys.  Sorry for a spam-like first post on these forums but I couldn't find an introduction thread.

Anyway, I live in Japan and have an online retro game store.   We mostly sell Famicom, Famicom Disk system and Neo Geo games but we are take and fill special orders.  Recently we have been getting TONS of requests for PC-FX games.  Maybe more than any other system.

So now we are thinking of expanding our shop to have a PC-FX section.  We have a few games up now but we need some help.

We need to know what games are popular outside of Japan.  Most of our requests come for the really expensive games like Zenki FX, Zeroiger, Tokemeki Card Paradise, Chip Chan Kick, etc. But we would like to know what more common games are popular.

Also what are fair prices to sell PC-FX games for?  We usually buy games from a number of suppliers and add a few dollars (for us) but we noticed PC-FX games are often fairly expensive.  We are not sure if me can make a profit on them.

Anyway thanks in advance for any help.  It seems like there are some good people on this forum and I hope to become an active member.

MissaFX

Re: I run an import game store in Japan
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 05:28:57 AM »
Hello,
Your English seems really good :mrgreen:

The PC-FX sure is one of the more quirky systems out there, and it is also poorly understood.  Because of this, prices tend to vary wildly, however I am fairly sure that the insane people trying to sell Team Innocent for $50 rarely, if ever do.  Just before this weekend I picked up Deep Blue Fleet for 10 dollars, new in package.

I am using this webpage to break the games down: https://www.pcenginefx.com/PC-FX/html/pc-fx_world_-_game_overviews.html

In general FX games sold in the last year of the system's life tend to sell for more and will break general rules.

Simulation/Dating game: $8-$20
Adventure Games: $15-$25
Anime Freak 1-4: $10-$15
RPGS: $20-$35
Battle Heat: $10-15
Table Games: vary wildly, some cheap, some expensive
Action: again, $20-25 for Fire Woman, but CCK is easly worth $150, lots of variation

While people may be asking you about the rare expensive titles, I think a lot of people spend years shopping around to find them cheap in the end.  The bulk of your sales if you keep your prices reasonable will be in the budget titles which people buy to finish off their collection or to simply have more titles to play.  If you keep one copy of the rares ones in stock though, as long as you have a reasonable price or you allow buyers to negociate with you, you should eventually sell.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

albinoMithos

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 05:53:01 AM »
Neo-Geo games you say?  Any MVS carts?   :P Also welcome!

ceti alpha

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 08:05:02 AM »
Welcome to the forum  8)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nectarsis

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 08:39:01 AM »
Welcome :)

Missa seems pretty dead on price wise. 
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

T2KFreeker

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 11:00:07 AM »
Hey guys.  Sorry for a spam-like first post on these forums but I couldn't find an introduction thread.

Anyway, I live in Japan and have an online retro game store.   We mostly sell Famicom, Famicom Disk system and Neo Geo games but we are take and fill special orders.  Recently we have been getting TONS of requests for PC-FX games.  Maybe more than any other system.

So now we are thinking of expanding our shop to have a PC-FX section.  We have a few games up now but we need some help.

We need to know what games are popular outside of Japan.  Most of our requests come for the really expensive games like Zenki FX, Zeroiger, Tokemeki Card Paradise, Chip Chan Kick, etc. But we would like to know what more common games are popular.

Also what are fair prices to sell PC-FX games for?  We usually buy games from a number of suppliers and add a few dollars (for us) but we noticed PC-FX games are often fairly expensive.  We are not sure if me can make a profit on them.

Anyway thanks in advance for any help.  It seems like there are some good people on this forum and I hope to become an active member.

Where's a lonk to your store brother? :D
END OF LINE.

Turbo D

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  :)

Sensei

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 01:49:42 PM »
Hello,
Your English seems really good :mrgreen:

The PC-FX sure is one of the more quirky systems out there, and it is also poorly understood.  Because of this, prices tend to vary wildly, however I am fairly sure that the insane people trying to sell Team Innocent for $50 rarely, if ever do.  Just before this weekend I picked up Deep Blue Fleet for 10 dollars, new in package.

I am using this webpage to break the games down: https://www.pcenginefx.com/PC-FX/html/pc-fx_world_-_game_overviews.html

In general FX games sold in the last year of the system's life tend to sell for more and will break general rules.

Simulation/Dating game: $8-$20
Adventure Games: $15-$25
Anime Freak 1-4: $10-$15
RPGS: $20-$35
Battle Heat: $10-15
Table Games: vary wildly, some cheap, some expensive
Action: again, $20-25 for Fire Woman, but CCK is easly worth $150, lots of variation

While people may be asking you about the rare expensive titles, I think a lot of people spend years shopping around to find them cheap in the end.  The bulk of your sales if you keep your prices reasonable will be in the budget titles which people buy to finish off their collection or to simply have more titles to play.  If you keep one copy of the rares ones in stock though, as long as you have a reasonable price or you allow buyers to negociate with you, you should eventually sell.

This is why I should have done a longer self introduction.  I am actually not Japanese.  I am from the United States but I have been living in Japan for over 4 years and plan to stay here.

Anyway, thank you for your help.  I adjusted the prices of the PC-FX games on my site and ordered a few more titles. 

As for the prices, I don’t know if I can make them that cheap.  I thought my prices were good because I was charging significantly less than ebay/yahoo auctions.  I usually take the price I paid for a game and add 5-15% (my profit).  But some of the games you used as examples I can’t get that cheap.  For example, the lowest price I can get a copy of Fire Woman (from a wholesaler) is higher than your suggested sell price.  I fear my prices will be seen as too expensive.  I am selling the games as cheap as I can but if they are still too high, maybe I will just not stock certain titles.

For example, do these prices seem reasonable/fair or are they going to be laughed at for being too high?

Galaxy Fraulein Yuna FX - $27.00
Team Innocent - $19.00
First Kiss Monogatari  - $49.00
Tengai Makyo Karakuri - $47.00
Chip Chan Kick 109.00
Tokimeki Card Paradise $105.00
Boundary Gate - $29.00
Tenchi-muyo Ryououki FX -  $29.00
Fire Woman Matoi-gumi -  $39.00
Cutey Honey FX -  $89.00
Can Can Bunny Extra DX - $29.00
Battle Heat - $11.00
Angelique Special - $9.00

If they are too high, I am unfortunately not in the position to lower them by more than a couple of dollars.   I will probably just remove the listings from my site.

Again, thank you for your help.  I will have to do a lot of thinking to see if I want to jump into the PC-FX market further.

But regardless I plan to keep hanging out on this forum.  The people seem very nice and amazingly knowledgeable.  More than being a seller of games I am a player of games.  And my DUO-R gets a lot of love from me.  I look forward to becoming a member of this NEC console community.

atr3yu

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 02:04:57 PM »
If you have any Marty stuff like consoles you have my attention as I have around 15 PC-FX games and pretty much all I know about that are good but I am always looking for a great importer. BTW what is your website??

SuperDeadite

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 02:07:43 PM »
Those prices look reasonable.  Actually your price for Tokimeki Card Paradise is actually quite cheap.  Its unquestionably the rarest normal release FX game.  Though it doesn't have the damand that Zenki, CCC, and Zeroigar have though.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Sensei

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 02:19:38 PM »
If you have any Marty stuff like consoles you have my attention as I have around 15 PC-FX games and pretty much all I know about that are good but I am always looking for a great importer. BTW what is your website??

The site itself does not currently stock Marty stuff, but we have done a few special orders in the past.  Is it ok for me to post the website address here?  I really don't want to come off as a spammer.

nectarsis

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 02:24:02 PM »
It should be fine.  Someone will take a chance on a new member sale wise I'm sure :)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Sensei

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »
Ok, the site address is:

www.risingstuff.com

I would be really happy if you could leave me feedback about the site in general or the PC-FX section specifically.

Thank you all so much.

T2KFreeker

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 03:38:28 PM »
Ok, the site address is:

www.risingstuff.com

I would be really happy if you could leave me feedback about the site in general or the PC-FX section specifically.

Thank you all so much.

Yup, I might be getting me that boxed Neo Geo CD system! Awesome dude.  :mrgreen:
END OF LINE.

atr3yu

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 04:16:08 PM »
Wish I would have known you wanted one as I just sold one with three games for $100 shipped!!!