Author Topic: PCE, SNES and Genesis, screen comparison.  (Read 50769 times)

Digi.k

Re: PCE, SNES and Genesis, screen comparison.
« Reply #1620 on: January 12, 2017, 09:25:23 AM »
gonna be slightly off here but can I add an audio comparison?

Shin Megami Tensei

SNES audio - boss

pc engine audio - boss

SNES audio - battle

pc engine audio - battle

SNES audio - neutral

pc engine audio - neutral

Digi.k

« Reply #1621 on: January 12, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »
more audio comparisons

DragonSlayer legend of Heroes

SNES - March of Heroes

pc engine - March of Heroes

Megadrive - March of Heroes

SNES - Town

pc engine - Town

Megadrive - Town

SNES - Battle

pc engine - Battle

megadrive - Battle

Mathius

« Reply #1622 on: January 12, 2017, 01:03:11 PM »
AWE...SOME! Thankyouthankyouthankyou!  :dance:
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

esteban

« Reply #1623 on: January 13, 2017, 08:21:33 AM »
Looks like I will have to make a page for audio comparisons. :)
  |    | 

Mathius

« Reply #1624 on: January 13, 2017, 10:20:06 AM »
Looks like I will have to make a page for audio comparisons. :)

You better!  :-$

Artabasdos

« Reply #1625 on: March 20, 2017, 04:13:46 PM »
Bomberman 94

megadrive

pc engine

megadrive

pc engine

megadrive

pc engine

How did you capture those screenshots? I have Mega Bomberman in my MD II right now hooked up via RGB SCART, and it's WAY brighter than those screen. Anyway, the PCE version looks better colour wise from what I've seen.

Black Tiger

« Reply #1626 on: March 20, 2017, 05:02:30 PM »
They're just clips from youtube videos turned into gifs.

Mega Bomberman is still very dark on real hardware, especially compared to the original. It's also missing some special effects, lots of animation and various assets and suffers from major slowdown that isn't in '94.

It was a quick, low effort by Westone, but the music is great and the gameplay is still good. Much more enjoyable than the Super Bomberman games.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Artabasdos

« Reply #1627 on: March 20, 2017, 05:08:21 PM »

Mega Bomberman is still very dark on real hardware, especially compared to the original. It's also missing some special effects, lots of animation and various assets and suffers from major slowdown that isn't in '94.

It was a quick, low effort by Westone, but the music is great and the gameplay is still good. Much more enjoyable than the Super Bomberman games.

Fair enough, but those screens aren't a fair representation tbh.

I love Super Bomberman!

Mathius

« Reply #1628 on: March 20, 2017, 06:09:19 PM »
I actually just finished my annual re-reading of this thread and was going to post a question but then forgot about it. So thanks for the bump.

Is there any known method to take what Digi.K started and apply it in a way where the animations would better approximate what we would see animating on our screens? Like the quality of the earlier stills into fully smoothly animated clips with at least fairly accurate colors and resolutions?

ccovell

« Reply #1629 on: March 20, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »
Like the quality of the earlier stills into fully smoothly animated clips with at least fairly accurate colors and resolutions?

Find animgif software with dynamic palettes and no dithering?

Digi.k

« Reply #1630 on: March 20, 2017, 10:57:00 PM »

How did you capture those screenshots? I have Mega Bomberman in my MD II right now hooked up via RGB SCART, and it's WAY brighter than those screen. Anyway, the PCE version looks better colour wise from what I've seen.

I think the genny version was taken from a youtuber called Anto RetroGamer
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:04:10 PM by Digi.k »

Artabasdos

« Reply #1631 on: March 21, 2017, 12:06:44 AM »

I think the genny version was taken from a youtuber called Anto RetroGamer

Fair enough, but YouTube footage is a poor choice. I've uploaded captured Dreamcast footage before, and the colour was f***** up by Google's crappy encoding. Glad I stopped using Google's services tbh.

Mathius

« Reply #1632 on: March 21, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »
Like the quality of the earlier stills into fully smoothly animated clips with at least fairly accurate colors and resolutions?

Find animgif software with dynamic palettes and no dithering?

I'm not sure what this question means, but, yes? :)

Black Tiger

« Reply #1633 on: March 21, 2017, 12:18:14 PM »

I love Super Bomberman!

There's about 80 pages of screenshot comparisons, including Mega Bomberman/'94. Digi.k is now just posting video clips that compare aspects like (missing) effects, animation, assets, etc. It would be better for these to have a dedicated thread, along with a sound comparison thread, but this is just how it's going.

Mega Bomberman actually looks much worse with clear screenshots or on TV through RGB, as you can see that most of the shades and detail is missing. Those converted video clips create the illusion of shading which isn't actually there, while at the same time making it harder to make out all of the shading in '94.

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Artabasdos

« Reply #1634 on: March 22, 2017, 10:59:10 PM »

I love Super Bomberman!

There's about 80 pages of screenshot comparisons, including Mega Bomberman/'94. Digi.k is now just posting video clips that compare aspects like (missing) effects, animation, assets, etc. It would be better for these to have a dedicated thread, along with a sound comparison thread, but this is just how it's going.

Mega Bomberman actually looks much worse with clear screenshots or on TV through RGB, as you can see that most of the shades and detail is missing. Those converted video clips create the illusion of shading which isn't actually there, while at the same time making it harder to make out all of the shading in '94.

In no way am I debating that Mega Bomberman looks better than Bomberman '94. The PCE is so much more colourful. The MD port uses odd choices for colours (happens on quite a few MD games).

Talking of sound, I'm still surprised how much clear the voices in Street Fighter II on PCE are. Way better than on the Megadrive (though this is because the driver used on the MD port is crap). It has been fixed now, and sounds as good as the PCE version!