Author Topic: PCE, SNES and Genesis, screen comparison.  (Read 48821 times)

Michirin9801

Re: PCE, SNES and Genesis, screen comparison.
« Reply #1650 on: August 14, 2017, 05:43:57 PM »
The SMS and NES versions of Chuka Taisen look closer to the arcade, but I think the PC engine version looks even better than the arcade...

gilbert

« Reply #1651 on: August 14, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »
but I think the PC engine version looks even better than the arcade...
The PCE version was supposed to be an enhanced conversion, similar to Hot B's another game Insector X, where the arcade version featured cute deformed characters, while the Mega Drive port had realistic mecha bugs, though this port was considered horrible by many, and not as good as the Famicom version. Another game I have in mind that enhanced the arcade version a lot was the Mega Drive version of Chelnov/Atomic Runner.

I think most of the graphics in the PCE version of Chuunka Taisen look better, at least more consistent in style. IMO the dragon boss in the arcade version looks really bad and out of place, and surprisingly even the Famicom and SMS versions of it look better. I couldn't make up my mind on the animated backgrounds in the boss sections of the PCE version, though, as they now look much more dynamic, but become repetitive and lose some of the charms of the original backgrounds.
(Because of these clouds, I once thought this game shared some staff with Coryoon and PC Denjin, but it doesn't seem to be correct.)

esteban

« Reply #1652 on: August 15, 2017, 01:32:29 AM »
but I think the PC engine version looks even better than the arcade...
The PCE version was supposed to be an enhanced conversion, similar to Hot B's another game Insector X, where the arcade version featured cute deformed characters, while the Mega Drive port had realistic mecha bugs, though this port was considered horrible by many, and not as good as the Famicom version. Another game I have in mind that enhanced the arcade version a lot was the Mega Drive version of Chelnov/Atomic Runner.

I think most of the graphics in the PCE version of Chuunka Taisen look better, at least more consistent in style. IMO the dragon boss in the arcade version looks really bad and out of place, and surprisingly even the Famicom and SMS versions of it look better. I couldn't make up my mind on the animated backgrounds in the boss sections of the PCE version, though, as they now look much more dynamic, but become repetitive and lose some of the charms of the original backgrounds.
(Because of these clouds, I once thought this game shared some staff with Coryoon and PC Denjin, but it doesn't seem to be correct.)

I love Chelnov/Atomic Runner...but I mostly played the arcade version. I need to spend time with the MegaDrive port, I remember reading a positive review of it years ago.

ASIDE: I think it is amusing that mobile gaming resuscitated genres like the "forced scrolling platform/run-n-gun"....I never saw that coming. I guess these games are passé now in the mobile market, but they were very popular for a few years (first few years of iPhone). Of course, mobile gaming rejuvenated a bunch of "dead" genres...but I never thought I'd see my kids playing modern games that were even *marginally* similar to Chelnov.

BACK ON TOPIC: Dragon Boss...
  |    | 

Punch

« Reply #1653 on: August 15, 2017, 12:39:26 PM »
Esteban, you should really play ☭ Atomic Runner CHELNOV ~Nuclear Man, The Fighter~ in its mega drive iteration, it really shows the jump between an era where the programmers are also the artists vs. professional pixel artists.

vs.

ps: Mega Drive Insector X, eww.

Mathius

« Reply #1654 on: March 01, 2019, 09:58:14 PM »
This needs stickied and moved to the correct subforum please and thank you.  :)
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1655 on: March 01, 2019, 10:49:26 PM »
Done and done.   :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Mathius

« Reply #1656 on: June 29, 2019, 10:45:26 PM »
It saddens me to see that Photobucket crapped on all of our screenshots in this thread by inserting a watermark into every single picture hosted by them. Why did they do this??? See page 73 for reference.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:48:16 PM by Mathius »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1657 on: June 30, 2019, 07:39:38 PM »
They did it to try and force people to switch to a paid plan.  They suck.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Mathius

« Reply #1658 on: September 15, 2019, 10:32:30 PM »
Photobucket is at it again and completely ruined our decade-old screenshots in this thread beyond just putting an obtrusive watermark over the center. Now all the picks are blurred out. It would take us a massive amount of work to relocate everything to a different host. This sucks.  :(

Punch

« Reply #1659 on: October 24, 2019, 08:34:25 PM »
Free image hosting fucks up majorly once they have a shit ton of """potential""" clients? Why I never.

I'm still mad at imageshack to this day

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1660 on: September 28, 2023, 05:47:33 PM »
I went to revisit this thread for memories of all the comparisons. Damnit.. Photobucket's AWFUL watermarks really borked this thread. :(

SFII colour usage comparisons  (SNES v. Genesis v. PCE)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4pOvvUVIlI

Raiden comparisons (Genesis vs. Turbografx)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EUUtrQu1Uk

World Heroes 2 (SNES vs. PCE ACD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwq-9GRulW4

Sega games on Turbo/PCE <3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykkG1crQUfo