Author Topic: PCE, SNES and Genesis, screen comparison.  (Read 48818 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Emerald Dragon comparison
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 04:22:42 AM »
There are aspects of both versions which I like, so it's impossible for me to pick a clear winner.  Overall, I prefer the more vibrant colors of the PCE version (especially in the fifth shot), though some of the color choices seem inappropriate (i.e. sea-foam green grass in the first shot and pink floors and columns in the second shot).  The main draw of the SNES version is the redrawn artwork; the trees are much nicer looking in the last shot and the town is vastly improved in the second shot, especially the nicely done roofs and more natural looking ground.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 11:11:48 AM »
The details really seal the deal on the SNES version for me. And while the colors might be more "drab", they are certainly more realistic, as has been pointed out. The cartoon look has it's place, but I'm not sure Emerald Dragon is that place.

Tom

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 02:46:29 PM »
There are aspects of both versions which I like, so it's impossible for me to pick a clear winner.  Overall, I prefer the more vibrant colors of the PCE version (especially in the fifth shot), though some of the color choices seem inappropriate (i.e. sea-foam green grass in the first shot and pink floors and columns in the second shot).  The main draw of the SNES version is the redrawn artwork; the trees are much nicer looking in the last shot and the town is vastly improved in the second shot, especially the nicely done roofs and more natural looking ground.

Funny you should say that about the trees. Over all, I think they are better in the PCE version. The SNES one is just a mirror half. Some other tiles are like that on the snes version. I do like some of the other tile choices of the SNES version, but I don't like the drab colors.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 02:50:28 PM »
I definitely like the buildings better in the SNES version in the second shot.  The PCE one looks like they have floors for roofs, whereas the SNES structures have actual roofs.  Some of the PCE screens seem eye-blindingly bright.

ceti alpha

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 04:18:50 PM »
I definitely like the buildings better in the SNES version in the second shot.  The PCE one looks like they have floors for roofs, whereas the SNES structures have actual roofs.  Some of the PCE screens seem eye-blindingly bright.

That's why you where your Blublockers when you play.  8)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 06:35:15 PM »
The cartoon look has it's place, but I'm not sure Emerald Dragon is that place.

but... its got Anime cutscenes and cartoons on the box!

Theres the MSX one....!

I dunno, I always prefer when an RPG uses vibrant, cartoony colors.  The only exception is probably Chrono Trigger.  I hated that Secret of Mana used vibrant colors, while the other SNES ones were more dull like Emerald Dragon.

Some games it is alright and looks good, and others, it makes the game lose a bit of its flair and atmosphere I think.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

rag-time4

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 07:59:24 PM »
One thing about the PCE rooftops is that they have a kind of battlement or extra layer of bricks along the edge that the SNES version doesn't have. So perhaps the PC engine roofs are intended to act as floors, as in the roof of a castle that archers can shoot from.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 03:53:37 AM »
Funny you should say that about the trees. Over all, I think they are better in the PCE version.

The PCE trees look good when by themselves, as in the second pic, but the way their edges are shaded turns 'em into an undefined lump when clustered, as in the last pic.  Of course, the SNES trees aren't placed close enough together to see if they have a similar problem.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SignOfZeta

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 05:22:23 AM »
At the time the PCE version was the only version. The SNES version lacked the killer audio and cut scenes so it was kind of thought of as a joke. Emerald Dragon is sort of an emotional game and you really miss than on the SNES.

spenoza

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 06:03:10 AM »
The SNES version looks like it's had minor improvements in detail. However, the PCE version still holds up quite well in comparison, especially given the time between them.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

awack

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 11:31:15 AM »
OK, Tokimeki Memorial, snes and pc engine comparison.... i don't think too many people know (or care, in the west at least) that this game came out on the Super Famicom.

pc engine on left.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:04:48 PM by awack »

nat

Re: PCE, SNES and Genesis, screen comparison.
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 11:51:58 AM »
Well, since the shots are side by side rather than top to bottom, I'm going to assume you meant the Duo version is on the left. In that case, the Duo wins by a landslide in this matchup.

awack

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 12:01:24 PM »
Well, since the shots are side by side rather than top to bottom

Cool, thats the way i want them, on my computer their showing up stacked.

awack

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »
Might & Magic III for the pc engine and snes, this is another high resolution game, so i resized the pc engine images from 320x239 to 256x224.

PCE                                                SNES

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 01:38:36 PM by awack »

Keranu

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 01:52:55 PM »
I say Tokimeki on SFC sort of wins on a landslide. The big resolution of the PCE is nice, but it also shows the limitations of the PCE's palette. SNES/SFC was simply more meant for handling digitized sketches/photos/whatever due to all the shades available.

I think I'm prefering the Duo M&M3 over SNES.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).