Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TG16 CD/PCE CD laser swap guide (pictorial)  (Read 7032 times)

BlackandBlue

REPAIR GUIDE - TG16 CD/PCE CD laser swap guide (pictorial)
« on: July 19, 2009, 01:59:43 PM »
I made this guide while I was changing out my last CD unit.  The first time I did the swap, I looked around and did not see a guide and kinda wished there was one, so I decided to make one for anyone that wishes to attempt this swap on their own.  I decided to make the guide near the end of the swap, which is why you will see the new laser in place in some of the pictures. 
So, I went back and re-did everything just for you! :)

Items needed:
replacement laser (KSS-220a or KSS-162a)
TG16 or PCE CD unit

Tools needed:
Jewler's screwdriver set
Multimeter
Soldering iron
Solder sucker or braid

Start out with your donar unit.  If you opted for a brand new KSS-220a, it will come with a different type of track.  Begin by removing The ribbon cables from the assembly.  Then, remove the two screws that are attached to the sled gear (step 1 in pic).  To remove the laser unit from the assembly, press in plastic tab (step 2), then slide out the metal bar (step 3).  This will free the laser from the track.

Next, you will want to dissasemble the CD unit.  Flip the CD player over and locate and remove the four screws that keep the bottom on.

Be careful pulling the unit apart.  On the TG16 version of the CD player, there is a ground wire that is attached to the sheilding of the bottom cover.  I accidentally broke the solder point, but it does not effect the usage of the player.

Next, remove the screw in the middle of the PCB.  This will allow you to lift the board to allow access to the laser.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:32:21 AM by BlackandBlue »
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

BlackandBlue

Re: TG16 CD/PCE CD laser swap guide (pictorial)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:59:50 PM »
Not so fast cowboy, there are a few ribbon cables and connectors that need to be released before proceeding.

To release the ribbon cables, pull down on the outter portion of the plastic housing and then pull out the ribbon cable.  Do not use force or flex the cables, as they break easily and are a pain to solder back together. (Yes, I speak from experience)

Remove the ground strap from the larger of the two ribbon cables. It is held on by glue, so it should restick to the new cable when the time comes.

This shows the three connectors that need to be removed and their location for when you need to put the back in later on.

To help with room, take out the CD control PCB.  There are four screws that hold the board down, one being a grounding plane (the longer of the four screws).  You will then be able to lift the board out.  Under here you will find the CD door switch.  Make sure that it is not broken/bent.

Next, we will remove the CD assembly from the unit.  Extract the three screws shown below.  There is a spacer sorounding the inside of the screw.  Be careful not to lose them.

After taking ot the screws, pull out the CD assembly.  I found it easy to open the CD door, tilt the portion out closest to the back out the unit, and pull up.  You'll figure it out.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:55:47 AM by BlackandBlue »
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

BlackandBlue

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
To gain access to the laser, you need to remove the cover.  There are two screws that need to be taken out.

I marked the center of my spindle motor before exctraction.  There are a few paterns of screw holes on the top of the motor and I found this made it easier when replacing.

To remove the spindle motor, turn the spindle until you see the screw through the hole.  Rinse and repeat.

You can now remove the spindle motor.  Make sure the laser is all the way to the outer portion of the track to allow room for the motor to come out.

To begin removing the laser, you will need to free the ribbon cables.  The larger one is attached by a metal clip.  To remove, slide the clip and lift.  The smaller cable is held in by tape.  Take note of its path.

Flip over and remove the screws that attach the laser to the worm gear.  Remove the middle scew first.  This will release the clip that moves the laser assembly with the worm gear.  Then, remove the outer two screws to release the remainder of the holder.  Also note that the small ribbon cable is routed behind part of the plastic.

Go to the other side and remove the two screws that hold down the metal bar.

Remove the laser.

Switcheroo

After you get the new laser in the sled (do the last couple steps backwards), you will need to remove the calibration solder from the larger ribbon cable, else it ain't gonna work.

Test the two leads on the ribbon cable that use to be soldered together to make sure there is no continuity between them anymore.  Its the 3rd and 4th from the left (or right, depends how you are looking at it).

Now is a perfect time to re-grease the gears and worm gear.  I used regular automotive grease.  Applied with a tookpick.

Time to put the spindle motor back in.  I found it easier if you put the screws in first, the slide the motor back into place.  You marked the center before removing it right?

Motor is back in. (recylcled image)

Now its time to reassemble the rest.  Basically the steps all done backwards.  A couple notes though. 

-When you put the metal laser assembly cover back on, make sure the holes line up.  There is a tab near the front that likes to be a pain.

-When putting the assembly back into the case, open the top of the CD drive like you did when taking it out.  Makes life easier.

-When you are putting the CD control PCB back in, make sure the lid switch is in correclty.

-When putting the ribbon cables back in, make sure they face the right way.  For the larger cable, the shinny part faces out of the case.  For the smaller cable, the shinny part faces inside the case.

You should now have a working CD ROM (if you had a dead laser before, other problems aren't my problem).

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 03:04:09 AM by BlackandBlue »

BlackandBlue

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 02:00:06 PM »
EXTRAS!

If you purchased a brand new KSS-220a, then you have a few more parts you can use from the assembly.  On the underside, there is a stop switch that you can use to replace a broken CD door switch in the TG16/PCE CD unit.  It is the switch with the two blue wires on the underside of the assembly.

Oh, there's more!  If you have a bad spindle motor or just want to upgrade, you can use the motor and spindle from the replacement unit.  In order to do so, you will need to remove the disc tray lid components from the CD door to allow for compatability.  This will also solve the issue of CD's scraping the floor of the drive.  I did this swap on my PCE CD drive and it works great.

So, there you have, a full pictorial guide to swaping out a faulty laser in a TG16/PCE CD Rom.  Hope this helps someone out.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:24:36 AM by BlackandBlue »

termis

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 02:27:50 PM »
Awesome! 

Platinumfungi

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:00:19 AM »
Awesome work indeed!  :clap:

DJLobo

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »
Great job. I hope I never have to do a laser swap, but this should be helpful to anyone trying to do one.
Early to bed, early to rise gives a man no social life. - Yakko Warner

hoobs88

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:42:09 AM »
I got a new replacement laser in a Turbo lot that I purchased and have no need for it. If anyone could use it, PM me.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

esteban

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 10:27:24 AM »
Fantastic guide!

With all of those wonderful pictures, you can't go wrong. Except for the the fingernails. They look a bit rough around the edges. :)
  |    | 

BlackandBlue

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 05:35:58 PM »
Thanks guys.  I hope it helps someone one day.

Fantastic guide!

With all of those wonderful pictures, you can't go wrong. Except for the the fingernails. They look a bit rough around the edges. :)

Yeah, I have a horrible habit of biting my nails.  I really need to work on that. :)

Ichibanrei

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 07:25:13 AM »
That's really helpful stuff.  I'm gonna try redoing mine since I was a little less than successful.  Luckily I didn't break anything.

blueraven

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 08:58:09 PM »
Well Done! A truly labor intensive effort!  :clap: You should email PCEngineFX to sticky this topic!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:00:36 PM by blueraven »
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

kid_rondeau

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 02:31:10 PM »
I would like to echo the sentiments above and sing your praises from the mountaintops.
And just to be more TurboGrafxy, I refer to the mountaintops in the background of Stage 1 of China Warrior.

kid_rondeau

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 07:46:46 AM »
Oh, and must agree, this topic should be a sticky.

blueraven

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 09:02:59 AM »
I emailed Aaron yesterday; hopefully he agrees!
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol