Author Topic: Neo Geo  (Read 3215 times)

Ninja Spirit

Neo Geo
« on: August 09, 2005, 02:36:27 AM »
Anyone got at least a cartridge system or the MVS?

I have AES, a broken NGCD and a NGPC

esteban

Re: Neo Geo
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 05:26:04 AM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
Anyone got at least a cartridge system or the MVS?

I have AES, a broken NGCD and a NGPC
Unfortuntely, I don't own any SNK systems. One of these days I'll get AES/MVS (whatever one is cheaper) and a handful of games. I'm no fan of  vs. fighting games, so a lot of the top Neo Geo titles don't appeal to me. But I'd get an AES for Magician Lord alone.  That game is the Athena of the Neo Geo -- a game I really like and want to beat, but is hard as balls.  Anyway, many of the non-vs. fighting games appeal to me (like Nam 75, that game is addictive). I've played the Metal Slug series too much, so I'd get other titles I was less familiar with first.

Of course, none of this will happen in the next 5 years. But I promise you that one day I WILL beat Magician Lord. And I WILL beat Athena (or break my NES out of frustration).
  |    | 

KingDrool

Neo Geo
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 05:37:10 AM »
I have the Neo Geo home console.  I've got three games for it: Samurai Shodown, some 1942 shooting clone, and a Final Fight style game.  I can't remember their names at the moment.  

Neo Geo gaming is one expensive hobby, so I haven't really gotten into it much.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Ninja Spirit

Neo Geo
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 06:12:51 AM »
Yeah I feel ya, but there are some cases in which to be a "good" Neo collector, you feel you gotta have at least 1 Samurai Shodown, a King of Fighters or a Metal Slug. I only got 9 games and I'm happy enough. Emulation does the rest.

Ghost Pilots is the 1942 type game you're prolly talking about.

And there are quite a few Final Fight clones on Neo.

>Sengoku
>Robo Army
>Burning Fight
>Mutation Nation
>Ninja Combat

KingDrool

Neo Geo
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 06:54:08 AM »
Mutation Nation.  That's the one.  It's not very good, but fun for a while.  Kind of like Riot Zone for the Turbo Duo.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

GUTS

Neo Geo
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 03:11:25 PM »
I have an upright cabinet, it's only a one slot though so that kinda sucks.  It rules though, Blazing Star is my favorite shooter of all time.

Keranu

Neo Geo
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 04:23:56 PM »
I have a NGPC and love it to death; easily my favorite stand-alone portable system. I plan on getting a MVS sometime though (which you should do Steve because MVS games are waaay cheaper).
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Pcenginefx

Neo Geo
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 08:09:03 PM »
I did have a Neo Geo Gold system (I LOVED the carts!) but man getting the games were just too costly.  I sold the unit a while back and bought a NGCD...now I have most of the US CD games.

I also jumped on the Neo Geo Pocket when it was released here in the US.  Bought two color units for my wife and I to system-link on, and also bought the B&W version.  Really too bad the screen wasn't backlit though.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

PC Gaijin

Neo Geo
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 09:21:09 PM »
I never got into AES or MVS because I am not a fighting game fan. I like the original Street Fighter II, and cheesy stuff like Power Stone or Rival Schools, but SNK's fighters never appealed to me. I always thought the Neo Geo represented a lot of wasted potential. Since fighters were so hugely popular at the time, they dominated Neo Geo releases squeezing out genres I enjoyed more (like the side-scrolling action/platformer or beat-em-up). This is also partly the reason my interest in videogames severely waned in the latter part of the 16-bit era (after SFII mania).

However, I loved the NGPC. Wonderful system with some terrific games (and oddly enough, I enjoyed SNK's fighters on that system).

Keranu

Neo Geo
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 10:19:22 PM »
People need to stop saying that the Neo Geo is practically a "fighting game only" system and realize that there is more to the Neo Geo than fighting games, even though it does have a good share of them (and I don't see how SNK's fighting games wouldn't appeal to people that play fighting games). The following is a small list I have constructed of some non-fighting Neo Geo games that new comers to the Neo Geo may enjoy:

Magician Lord - Excellent platform game and even though you get infinite continues, it gets to be pretty challenging and requires some thinking to find where to go. First Neo Geo game I ever played actually.

Windjammers - This game is so addicting, especially if you have a friend to play with you. Me and family members really get into this game and have strong competitions. It's kind of like Pong, but with really unique and original twists.

Crossed Swords - A bit cheesy, but it's a fun first-person viewed adventure with RPG elements and a total arcade feel. Really fun to play through once with a friend.

Blue's Journey - A fun, cute, colorful platform game with some creative ideas. It's a pretty fun game.

Cyber Lip - Before Metal Slug, this was a platform shooter for the Neo Geo. Though it's not as extreme as Metal Slug, it's still a great old school style platform shooter or run n' gun game.

Sengoku - The first game of a triology beat'em up series for the Neo Geo. I forgot how this game was exactly, but I know it's fun and was pretty original. The sequels are pretty good too.

Top Player's Golf - I know, a golf game. But for some reason when I first started getting into Neo Geo, this was one of those early games for me and I love the game! I don't know what it is, but this game just feels so fun and relaxing for me, unlike most golf games.

League Bowling - This game is just plain addicting!

This is just a small list and they are all older games for the system, but their fun classic games that classic gamers will appreciate.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nodtveidt

Neo Geo
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 12:23:15 AM »
Saying the Neo Geo is a fighting game system is like saying the PCE is a shmup system...imo. :D

Nutribrain

Neo Geo
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 02:16:40 AM »
I first bought a Neo Geo Homesystem together with Mutation Nation, back in 1992. But I sold the system for very little, together with all 18 games I cumulated till then, in 1995 to get a new PowerMac.
Then 3 years ago I bought a new one off Ebay together with Sengoku 3. I like this game very very much! I know most people don't like this part of the Sengoku series, but for me it was the perfect "reentrance" into NeoGeo gaming. The game's soundtrack is mostly fantastic, especially the opening.
Now I have around 20 games again and enjoy them. I'll never ever sell this machine again. It isn't worth the effort and cost too much.

And as I'm also not a huge fan of vs-fighters I can tell you that there are many games of different genres released for the NeoGeo.

Ninja Spirit

Neo Geo
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 02:48:15 AM »
Oh my god who can people not like Sengoku 3?

It was definitely better than the other 2. It even had some elements of a fighting game, combos and juggles.

Last Resort was a great shooter, anyone who played it notice that it ripped off R-Type in some aspects? One of them includes the black screen that says "READY" every time you lose a life.

Keranu

Neo Geo
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 12:13:39 PM »
I personally prefer the first two Sengoku games over the third. When I first play Sengoku 3, I loved it and easily thought it was the best in the series. While it's still a awesome game, I found out that I prefer the first two more because it's story was more original, controls were basic (even though the combos were really sw33t), and the game didn't repeat enemies as often as Sengoku 3 did, not to mention that Sengoku 3 had those bloody annoying frog enemies that were so hard to hit (I think specials were the only way to really hit them, haven't played it in awhile) and they were repeated often like the others. Also I loved the cheesy characters in the first two  :lol: .

I haven't played Last Resort in so long, but I should play it again because I would probably love it if I played it again. Pulstar was another horizontal shooter for the Neo Geo that was hugely inspired by R-Type, but still a fun and very difficult game, along with it's awesome sequel "Blazing Star" as well. There is this other horizontal shooter for Neo Geo that was pretty fun, but I forgot the name, it's graphic style reminded me of the Gradius games.

Oh yeah and Twinkle Star Sprites for the Neo Geo is one of the best games ever made ;) .

neokellyzero

Neo Geo
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 05:49:27 PM »
I had an AES- Found it in a small used game store for $120 with two controllers and world heroes all complete. awesome deal and I loved neo geo in the arcade so i picked it up.  I'm a huge metal slug and sengoku fan- but when I(or rather my wife) found out the the orginal metal slug cart cost a couple of car payments I decided that I could get some of the better games for the saturn or pce and still make my mortgage- purists will say it's not the same.  I know this... but then again it also better than no metal slug/garou/s.shodown-  if i ever win the loterry I will get another one-