Author Topic: ANIME, EWWW.  (Read 1392 times)

esteban

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 10:39:43 AM »
Grave of the fireflies (1988). See it.
  |    | 

Keranu

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 01:16:09 PM »
My brother actually has Grave of the Fireflies, but I wasn't so impressed of course. I just can't bother myself to anime anymore really. American cartoons all the way.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 01:29:36 PM »
Keranu can you like anything that isn't cheesy and retarded?

Keranu

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 01:32:14 PM »
What's wrong with cheesy? I'll take cheesey over anime any day, get off my back with your beef against cheesy stuff.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nodtveidt

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 02:18:53 PM »
I like some anime and some American cartoons as well. I'd rather watch The Smurfs than Pokémon...

Keranu

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 02:32:08 PM »
That's because the Smurfs rule.

Keranu

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 02:32:44 PM »
I want to get into English cartoons more because I love the style and humor of them, but I haven't seen nearly enough of them!

GUTS

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 03:50:33 PM »
Yeah but I mean can you like anything that's NOT cheesy and retarded?  Is there anything normal that you like?

Keranu

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 04:12:54 PM »
Of course, there are plenty movies and games that I love that aren't cheesy, just keep in mind nothing newer because stuff today sucks.

esteban

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2005, 06:16:57 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
My brother actually has Grave of the Fireflies, but I wasn't so impressed of course. I just can't bother myself to anime anymore really. American cartoons all the way.
I suggested this film because it is not the typical genre of anime that folks outside of Japan are familiar with. If you're familiar with film, you might be familiar with classic, Italian "neorealist" films like "The Bicycle Thief" and "Umberto D" (both great films, by the way). Anyway, "Grave of the Fireflies" is linked to these films -- I know it's weird -- by the drama, the themes, WWII, emphasis on a child's perspective to events in film, etc.

Grave of the Fireflies illustrates the earlier point that anime/cartoon is simply the medium to convey a story.  

A wind named Amnesia is another anime film that a I really dig. But like Grave, you have to allow yourself to give it a chance...
  |    | 

GUTS

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2005, 07:29:07 PM »
Hey I've seen Amnesia, sweet movie!  I love those post-apocalyptic movies I think for the same reason I love Robinson Crusoe type stories, I love seeing how people live when they're on their own in new environments (especially when they go into detail).

Also on the same subject, personally I think Akira is one of the best movies I've ever seen.  I watched it about 3-4 times back when it came out in the early 90s and never really got into it (story was too hard to follow so it was kinda boring).  Last year though I bought the new DVD version with the new translation and holy shit it was like a whole new movie, the translation actually made sense and I understood everything.  It was f*cking BADASS.

esteban

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 05:27:49 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
Hey I've seen Amnesia, sweet movie!  I love those post-apocalyptic movies I think for the same reason I love Robinson Crusoe type stories, I love seeing how people live when they're on their own in new environments (especially when they go into detail).

Also on the same subject, personally I think Akira is one of the best movies I've ever seen.  I watched it about 3-4 times back when it came out in the early 90s and never really got into it (story was too hard to follow so it was kinda boring).  Last year though I bought the new DVD version with the new translation and holy shit it was like a whole new movie, the translation actually made sense and I understood everything.  It was f*cking BADASS.
DITTO! on both points, GUTS. I love the post-apocalyptic setting. In the "movie" thread I suggested "Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price. This film is usually overlooked and not many folks would hold it up as a gem.... but I just dig it. I saw it for the first time a few years ago, at a movie theatre in Los Angeles. It was sweet. Watch it with the lights off, late at night with no distractions. Hopefully you won't fall asleep :)

Akira is a film that deserves all of the praise heaped upon it. It strikes a great balance between drama, action, meditation, etc. The opening sequence, with the great music and visuals, still gives me goosebumps.

TRIVIA: Has anyone ever suggested that the psychic midget lady from the  film "Poltergeist" inspired the similar character in this film? Or was that a product of localization? Not to detract from Akira by linking it to Poltergeist, but that's something I always wonder about.
  |    | 

Keranu

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2005, 08:57:43 AM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
I suggested this film because it is not the typical genre of anime that folks outside of Japan are familiar with. If you're familiar with film, you might be familiar with classic, Italian "neorealist" films like "The Bicycle Thief" and "Umberto D" (both great films, by the way). Anyway, "Grave of the Fireflies" is linked to these films -- I know it's weird -- by the drama, the themes, WWII, emphasis on a child's perspective to events in film, etc.

Grave of the Fireflies illustrates the earlier point that anime/cartoon is simply the medium to convey a story.  

I figured that was the reason why you suggested it, and while I don't think it's bad at all, I just don't like it (if that makes sense), because I'm not into movies like that.

SNKNostalgia

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2005, 09:35:32 AM »
Check out Goldenboy, funny as hell. Part 1, 4 and 5 are the best. Kinda perverse but not all too too bad. The bicycle part on Golden Boy 5 will have you rolling on the floor :lol:

Keranu

ANIME, EWWW.
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005, 10:58:48 AM »
The bicycle part on the movie "Kazaam" with Shaq flying on a gold bicycle had me rolling on the floor. God that was hilarious.