Author Topic: Legend of Xanadu II Translation Patch announced!  (Read 10345 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: Legend of Xanadu II Translation Patch announced!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
If this were somehow released in a physical format, I would buy to support the PCE/TG16 homebrewers.

Well it isn't homebrew, its a translation of a pre-existing high dollar retail release so if you paid for a physical copy you would be supporting, essentially, pirates.

Alternatively you could just buy a retail copy of the Japanese version (or not, it hardly matters now) and donate money to the translation project (if they except donations, many do). Stick your CD-R translation in the case with the retail copy.

However, part of the reason I like the TG16 is the lack of RPGs, which tend to be tedious.  The RPGs that are out, like Ys, are action RPGs, so I am cool with those.

Wow. You are that guy NEC was marketing their stuff to! I knew you liked the cardboard boxes and the shitty coverers, but I didn't know you disliked RPGs too. If only there were about 900,000 more of you, the TG-16 would have been a huge success!

This gives me an idea. Does anyone have a 8 year old kid or perhaps nephew/niece, or perhaps a mentally retarded Janitor, who can do a terrible Xanadu drawing? We can then print up superfluous cardboard boxes to stick our Japanese copies of Xanadu in. The translation would be complete!

TheClash603

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 12:12:32 PM »
If this were somehow released in a physical format, I would buy to support the PCE/TG16 homebrewers.

Well it isn't homebrew, its a translation of a pre-existing high dollar retail release so if you paid for a physical copy you would be supporting, essentially, pirates.

Alternatively you could just buy a retail copy of the Japanese version (or not, it hardly matters now) and donate money to the translation project (if they except donations, many do). Stick your CD-R translation in the case with the retail copy.

However, part of the reason I like the TG16 is the lack of RPGs, which tend to be tedious.  The RPGs that are out, like Ys, are action RPGs, so I am cool with those.

Wow. You are that guy NEC was marketing their stuff to! I knew you liked the cardboard boxes and the shitty coverers, but I didn't know you disliked RPGs too. If only there were about 900,000 more of you, the TG-16 would have been a huge success!

This gives me an idea. Does anyone have a 8 year old kid or perhaps nephew/niece, or perhaps a mentally retarded Janitor, who can do a terrible Xanadu drawing? We can then print up superfluous cardboard boxes to stick our Japanese copies of Xanadu in. The translation would be complete!

Not going to lie, I was that guy.  I'd take China Warrior over Dragon Warrior any day of the week, never mind all of those words.

blueraven

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »
Audition sent in.

:mrgreen:
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

SignOfZeta

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 06:13:50 PM »
Not going to lie, I was that guy.  I'd take China Warrior over Dragon Warrior any day of the week, never mind all of those words.

OK, so then I have a question. Did you appreciate the sports games on a non-ironic level? If not, then I guess we can assume nobody does and those things were a waste of time to develop and release. :)

TheClash603

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 09:29:15 PM »

OK, so then I have a question. Did you appreciate the sports games on a non-ironic level? If not, then I guess we can assume nobody does and those things were a waste of time to develop and release. :)

TV Sports games were pretty bad.  I actually enjoy some sports games, but those were just poorly made.  Hit the Ice is a good example of a sports game done right.

Keranu

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 10:47:39 AM »

I actually like a lot of sports games on the Turbo, they're generally simplistic and not simulation-based. Have never really been able to appreciate the TV Sports games much yet, but I've been eager to find appreciation for the basketball game ever since a member here praised about it years back.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SamIAm

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 09:41:14 PM »
I just want to say, hats off to sunteam_paul for his help ripping the game's visual scenes. Now that dub-recording has started, having something for the actors to watch and get the visual context is invaluable.

Things are moving right along. I have lots of free time these days, so this might get done really quickly. It just depends on how tough the hacking side turns out to be. We're still missing half the script, and reinsertion might be a bit of a pain with this one.

Anyway, we'll keep you all posted!

SamIAm

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 05:24:49 AM »
I'm sort of hijacking this thread as a place to post my thoughts on the game and the project as they come to me.

So, the music:

I uploaded the soundtrack to my mp3 player today, and with a bit of bass boost, I came to realize that the PSG songs in this game, which pretty much make up the whole soundtrack, are great. I've heard a healthy share of PCE chiptunes, and this stuff is both well composed and well programmed. The songs compliment the atmosphere of each area and event very well, to the point that they really enrich them. I encourage anyone to try to appreciate this as they play the game.

Some people might be disappointed that there aren't more redbook music tracks. It may be alarming that the final boss fight has the only in-game BGM to come from the CD. However, I think they made the right choice in using the PSG for most of the music. See, there are 52 PSG tracks, totaling to 68 minutes without any looping (based on the soundtrack CD). But wait, between the title screen, intro, ending, voiced cutscene tracks and other stuff, there's 54 minutes of redbook on the game disc already. So, instead of trying to cram in too much and forcing you to listen to the same few songs for the entire game *cough*emeralddragon*cough*, you instead get to enjoy 6 or so unique tracks for each of the games 8 chapters spread over 10 hours. None of it gets old.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 05:47:16 AM »
When I first played it I was also a little put off by the lack of CD music - but it wasn't long before I realised how good the chip music was and just forgot about redbook entirely.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

blueraven

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 05:54:24 AM »
Looking forward to the finished product :mrgreen:

Good luck. And let me know where I can get it as soon as it's available!
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

runinruder

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 06:08:57 AM »
The songs compliment the atmosphere of each area and event very well, to the point that they really enrich them.

Indeed.  The tune in the last dungeon is my favorite.  Very dramatic.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SamIAm

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 07:29:45 AM »
Those of you who can read Japanese and are playing/will be playing this game should check out this link:
http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~kenmatsu/consumerPCECheats_and_Hints/kazenodensetuzanadolu2Cheats_and_Hints.htm

Dark_Fact's walkthrough, while being very helpful in its own right, totally missed a couple things that you can find on this page. Chapters 1, 3, and 4 all have special story events that can only be accessed by going through long and specific strings of actions. It's not too difficult, but you'd miss them if you were playing quickly. Chapter 1 has Meltina give a singing performance, chapter 3 has Meltina and Pyura singing a duet, and chapter 4 has Sheryl, the rich merchant's daughter, share a special moment with Arios under the stars on her balcony. There are also a few powerful items that you will only find in a similar fashion.

I think I'll be writing up my own small crash-course/hidden stuff FAQ when the translation is released.

Oh, and if anyone finds high-quality scans of the manual, please send them to me. I might consider translating it as well. I actually have it, but I don't have my own scanner.

Black Tiger

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Here's an updated version of the walkthrough I was working on 6 years ago-

http://superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/legend_of_xanadu_ii_walkthrough_2011.txt

It has more details and maps for the first two chapters, plus I've put all three parts into one file since I now have a computer that can handle it. :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Arm

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 04:14:55 PM »
I've uploaded the manual in pdf format. Hope it's useful.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5OEIJ6VV

SamIAm

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »
I've uploaded the manual in pdf format. Hope it's useful.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5OEIJ6VV

Wow, thank you!! This will be nice to have to show people when the time comes. I was kind of thinking of actually going in with a simple editor and replacing the Japanese text with English text. I expect to have a lot of time to kill while the script is being reinserted, and the manual is fairly short and simple. Just curious, but do you happen to have this in higher resolution? I don't want to sound ungrateful, but if I do something like a special manual translation, then that's what I'd need.

Thanks again for sharing!