Author Topic: Legend of Xanadu II Translation Patch announced!  (Read 10525 times)

SamIAm

Re: Legend of Xanadu II Translation Patch announced!
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2011, 07:29:54 AM »
It took me practically all damn day, but the translation is pretty much finished now. Thanks again for letting me look at some other manuals - it was really nice to see how others worked with this kind of stuff.

Black Tiger, are you in? I've got a draft that is polished enough for you to try replacing the Japanese with it. We can talk about any size problems if you run into any. Let me know, and I'll email the file to the address in your profile. Or, if you're busy, I'll get back to the other fellow.  :wink:

esteban

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2011, 07:59:38 AM »
If B_T is busy, I can also replace your translated text into the original Japanese manual if you need someone to do it.

The manual will be finished and look damn fine, one way or another. :)

|    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »
If B_T is busy, I can also replace your translated text into the original Japanese manual if you need someone to do it.

esteban would probably do the best job, but I can help with any kind of touch ups that might prove challenging (like the lined art background that I started).
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SamIAm

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2011, 04:11:06 PM »
Well, if you put it like that, perhaps we should go with esteban? I'm sure you could do a good job as well, though. Judging by your post counts, you're both long-time members here, so maybe I'll just leave it to you two to decide who wants it. :)

esteban

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »

esteban would probably do the best job, but I can help with any kind of touch ups that might prove challenging (like the lined art background that I started).

Your sample page was gorgeous! :)

I don't want to step on your toes, but I will gladly help you/assist if you are busy.

Also: Your source material appears to be of higher quality than the .pdf from Arm. Did you use Arm's scans? Or did you scan the page yourself? :)

|    | 

Arm

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2011, 12:04:20 AM »
The posted image by bt is at 600 dpi. But if you zoom in photoshop at 200%, the image is pixellated, so I guess the image original resolution is around 150 dpi. (like the 1st pdf I posted.) Or the size of the picture has been reduced after being scanned.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:31:57 AM by Arm »

Black Tiger

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2011, 11:46:38 AM »
Hey, that looks really good. I like your choice of font, and the overall result looks quite natural.

There are a couple of typos:
Heralders should probably be capitalized.

That is actually how the capital "H" appears in that font.

Your sample page was gorgeous! :)

I don't want to step on your toes, but I will gladly help you/assist if you are busy.

Also: Your source material appears to be of higher quality than the .pdf from Arm. Did you use Arm's scans? Or did you scan the page yourself? :)

I can't download from megaupload or whatever since I'm on cable. I scanned my own manual at 600dpi. I figured that it would be no big deal scanning it as-is without removing the staples, but it was a lot of work blending out the fold shadow/highlights. I suggest that anyone doing anything like this save themselves the trouble and just scan each piece of manual separately.

Also, 600dpi wasn't really big enough for the kind of detail in this particular picture. The rest of the manual looks extremely straightforward though. I still think the higher the res, the better.

This is as much work as I'd like to put into this, I do think that it is good enough though:

Full image

Preview pic

BTW, I forgot to switch it to grayscale. :P

I figured that you're the best person around here when it comes to design and have done some nice photoshopping in the past, plus it sounded like SamIAm wanted to get this done asap.

I was just inspired the other day to take a shot at that one tricky picture, since I wanted it to turn out good (even though I gave up on hitting the target I'd set out for myself :P).

Why don't you go ahead and finish it off and just let me know if you'd like help with anything. :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2011, 04:30:16 PM »
I hear you, B_T :)  I'm glad you were inspired to work on pages 4 & 5 because they're great, even if you didn't reach your goal.

Anyway, I knew I wasn't going crazy--your preview image was so goddamn nice, I knew you must have had better source material to work with.

Thanks for the .psd file... I won't let you down.

REQUEST #1 (for B_T): do you have the version before you flattened the layers? I would love the text layers (editable), if you (hopefully) still have that .psd  :)

REQUEST #2 (for anyone and everyone!): Can you scan the LoX II manual at 300+ dpi and provide me with LOSSLESS files (or, at least .jpg/.png save at maximum quality)?

Arm, can you do this? It would be awesome if you could :)

If you still have the .tiff files, Arm, I'll take them. :)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:32:36 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Arm

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2011, 09:44:55 PM »
Hi,

I've already scanned the full manual at 300 dpi and sent as a pdf, but I don't have the files anymore.
If you want, you can uncompress the file and save the pages as bmp or photoshop files.
Sorry, I won't rescan a 3rd time at more than 300 dpi (I don't have time now ) :) I don't think it's necessary for a BW manual like this and the files size would be really huge. Having done graphic works before, 600 dpi is good for magazine prints or really hires artworks but but I think it's unnecessary for a BW manual like this one.
At 300 dpi, you can already zoom 2/3 times the images without problem. :) Maybe someone else can provide the images at 600 dpi.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:58:53 AM by Arm »

SamIAm

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2011, 01:19:55 AM »
esteban, I just emailed all the text to the address in your profile.

The latest scan from Arm seems like it's good enough quality to allow people to enjoy the manual as much as possible. If anyone wants to make a better scan, that's certainly fine; I won't complain either way.  :)

I'm not in a terrible hurry to get this done, so don't lose sleep over it or anything. On the other hand, I like moving quickly with these things, and it would be nice to have this early to pass around as a kind of teaser for the finished patch.

Thanks, guys!

esteban

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2011, 04:55:31 AM »
Hi,

I've already scanned the full manual at 300 dpi and sent as a pdf, but I don't have the files anymore.
If you want, you can uncompress the file and save the pages as bmp or photoshop files.
Sorry, I won't rescan a 3rd time at more than 300 dpi (I don't have time now ) :) I don't think it's necessary for a BW manual like this and the files size would be really huge. Having done graphic works before, 600 dpi is good for magazine prints or really hires artworks but but I think it's unnecessary for a BW manual like this one.
At 300 dpi, you can already zoom 2/3 times the images without problem. :) Maybe someone else can provide the images at 600 dpi.

Hey Arm, I didn't want to come across as ungrateful, it's just B_T and I are very similar in our workflow...

...you see, B_T and I have a history of putting out Large Print FAQs and Large Print Manuals that we'll still be able to use when we are curmudgeons with cataracts (hey, it's going to happen sooner than we'd like to admit).

Seriously, though, I always try to obtain the best-quality source material before I dive into a project.

Since I'm going to work on this today, I'll gladly use your scans :)

esteban, I just emailed all the text to the address in your profile.

Thanks. I'll work on this today.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:57:48 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Arm

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2011, 05:06:34 AM »
No problem. I'm sure you'll do a great job for the manual :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:08:37 AM by Arm »

esteban

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »
For those who are curious (open images in separate tabs to make comparisons):

Original: http://reference.tg-16.com/LoX/preview_0.jpg

Work in Progress: http://reference.tg-16.com/LoX/preview_1.jpg
  |    | 

roflmao

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2011, 05:44:57 PM »
Lookin' good!

SamIAm

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »
Got another big chunk of the script dumped! We now have about 75%, I reckon. I'll get this new stuff translated in just a few days. Hopefully, there aren't too many more "keys" to crack in order to find the rest of the script.