Author Topic: Legend of Xanadu II Translation Patch announced!  (Read 10488 times)

Arm

Re: Legend of Xanadu II Translation Patch announced!
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 12:15:07 AM »
Alright, I'll rescan it at 300 dpi.
Here you go :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LMJXNHA0

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:34:17 AM by Arm »

SamIAm

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 07:53:47 PM »
Wonderful. Thank you very much!

Arm

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 08:38:09 PM »
You're welcome. :) Hope it will be useful.

SamIAm

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 04:20:10 AM »
Here is most of the stuff from the manual that people will be interested in: the story prologue and the character introductions. Maybe I'll do the boss introductions tomorrow. They're pretty much just strategy, though.

If anyone here knows what they're doing in photoshop, let me know if you'd be interested in helping the project by doing some text inserting with the manual that Arm supplied. Even if it's a bit redundant, I think it would be cool to make an English manual for this game.

-------

A tale of tragedy...

Long ago, those called the Heralders created a world.
When they passed on from existence at last, they left behind two human gods:
The God Rugon, and the Goddess Ishtar.

The Goddess Ishtar, who embodied peace and creation, restricted the growth of mankind to a gentle pace.
The God Rugon, who embodied chaos and destruction, accelerated the growth of mankind such that it would fall to disarray.
The two gods stood in complete opposition, each existing to provocate the other.

Once, a war broke out between them. The Goddess Ishtar could not understand why Rugon was fighting her. She knew, after all, that the death of one of them meant the death of them both.

The world fell into chaos.
Rugon had the power of darkness, however, Ishtar's power of light was stronger. The battle would go on for an eternity, it seemed, until Ishtar's victory finally brought it to an end.

The God of Destruction, his body smashed by the Goddess, came to rest in the southern lands.
With this, the world returned to stability, yet the battle had inflicted unimaginable wounds on it.
Now torn, this world would never return to its former glory even with the help of the Goddess.

The God Rugon, however, was not completely destroyed.
The very existence of the Goddess herself was proof that somewhere, the God of Destruction lived on.
--------------------
Now introducing the charming cast of Xanadu II! Each party member has unique abilities, so be sure to make the most of them during boss fights.
*All character commands assume the character is facing to the right.

Arios
Descendent of the hero Aineas. Formed the fighting group "Liberators of Ishtaria" after defeating the wicked dragon Dardandis. He continues his fight for justice in order to protect his people from monsters and bandits. When his friend Leucos goes missing, he sets out for a new continent to search for him.

Daimos
A knight of dauntless courage who is regarded as the most skillful swordsman in Ishtaria. Out of empathy with Arios, he spends his days in battle fighting alongside the Liberators of Ishtaria.

Leucos
A self-proclaimed "chivalrous thief". With his lighthearted personality, he causes trouble from time to time. However, deep inside, he has a heart of pure gold. While adventuring in a new continent, he was attacked and has since been unheard from.

Pyura
A magician at Arios's side with a bright, energetic personality. Currently undergoing re-training with her master, Enas...supposedly. In her heart, she secretly has a special place for Arios.

Meidia
The sworn protector of Sophia, member of the Temple Guard. An unrivaled beauty, she is also famous for her archery, and is skilled in all areas of battle. At this time, she is at Sophia's service in the Temple of Partia.

Landis
His body cased in a suit of black armor, this knight appears to have been born on the new continent, yet his background and lineage are wrapped in mystery. He appears to be searching for something, but what?

Meltina
A girl from the port town of Razan onn the unexplored continent of Ashnal. It is she who saves the wounded Leucos. A kind, innocent girl, she is always worrying herself over what's going to happen to him next.

Black Tiger

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 10:38:33 AM »
Here is most of the stuff from the manual that people will be interested in: the story prologue and the character introductions. Maybe I'll do the boss introductions tomorrow. They're pretty much just strategy, though.

If anyone here knows what they're doing in photoshop, let me know if you'd be interested in helping the project by doing some text inserting with the manual that Arm supplied. Even if it's a bit redundant, I think it would be cool to make an English manual for this game.

I'd be happy to do it. Here's a small sized pic (I'm working at 600dpi) of how far I got with the prologue today-

http://superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/x2_story2.png

I'll touch up and redraw in the background next.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SamIAm

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 07:25:44 PM »
Hey, that looks really good. I like your choice of font, and the overall result looks quite natural.

There are a couple of typos:
Heralders should probably be capitalized.
Passed is written as "past"
After all needs a space in between the words
There should be comma after "The God Rugon" and before "however" in the last paragraph.

Anyway, one other guy sent me a message saying he would be interested as well. Since you've already done this much, you can have the project if you like. If it's a pain for you, we can ask the other fellow. Let me know what you think!

Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated.

SamIAm

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 11:30:38 PM »
Good news! Esperknight says he figured out the key to some undumped script! Hopefully it will turn out to be the key to all the undumped script. :)

Black Tiger, I've got up through page 11 in the manual translated now. I'll try to knock it out completely before the weekend is up.

edit: Holy crap, I didn't know you could switch characters during boss fights by pressing the run button! Guess I should have read the manual first.  8)

edit 2: I'm not the most experienced guy in the PCE world. Does anyone know (and hopefully have a digital copy of) an English CD game manual that would serve as a good example of the kind of syntax I should use for writing this? I remember translating a Mega Drive manual years ago, and seeing a similar manual already in English really helped in this regard. The result read a lot more like it was genuine. It's not a big deal, but if you have the Ys manual or something sitting around your hard-drive, now is a good time to bring it out. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:31:57 AM by SamIAm »

geise

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 02:38:46 AM »
SamIAm I have a question and I'm sorry if it's already been answered.  It's about doing the dubbing for the cut scenes.  Whenever the patch does get finished, are you going to give the option to leave the cut scenes with the original voice acting and have a separate patch or option to add the dub?

SamIAm

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 02:46:48 AM »
The voices are all on redbook audio tracks. Swapping the dub with the original voices is as simple as swapping in the original CD tracks. We'll make this easy. Plus, I'm going to release the script for people who want to read it.

I respect that some people will want to enjoy the original voices, especially since our dub is inevitably not going to be quite as polished. On the other hand, I just hope that some people use the dub and enjoy being able to play the whole game without having to look at a long text file to get the story.

BlueBMW

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2011, 03:03:01 AM »
edit 2: I'm not the most experienced guy in the PCE world. Does anyone know (and hopefully have a digital copy of) an English CD game manual that would serve as a good example of the kind of syntax I should use for writing this? I remember translating a Mega Drive manual years ago, and seeing a similar manual already in English really helped in this regard. The result read a lot more like it was genuine. It's not a big deal, but if you have the Ys manual or something sitting around your hard-drive, now is a good time to bring it out. Thanks!

I could scan one of my game's manuals for you this afternoon... whats a good game to compare it to?  Beyond Shadowgate? Vasteel?  Ys 1/2?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

SamIAm

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 03:10:04 AM »
I hate to make you subject your old, precious manuals to the scanner (sorry Arm!). You don't have to rush, just in case one turns up already scanned. If you do go through with it, go ahead and be easy on the spine. All I need is to be able to read it.

I'm thinking another Falcom game like Ys would be a good choice. :)
Seriously, though, no hurry. I bet SOMEONE out there has already scanned a Ys 1/2 manual.

Arm

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 05:23:13 AM »
2 manuals (not falcom games) :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=91S04M74

2 other manuals (falcom games) :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DB1BKCRM
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:26:36 AM by Arm »

SamIAm

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2011, 05:27:46 AM »
Damn. I don't have any excuses now, do I? Black Tiger, let's show Arm our gratitude by making a really nice manual. :D

Arm

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 06:43:13 AM »
No problem :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 06:46:22 AM by Arm »

BlueBMW

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 06:46:48 AM »
And my manuals can stop shaking in their cases :lol:  Thanks for posting that Arm!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc