Author Topic: GameCube Bonk: Good times  (Read 1445 times)

D-Lite

GameCube Bonk: Good times
« on: September 12, 2005, 06:08:39 PM »
I searched here and found nothing about the GameCube Bonk game released about, what, 2 years ago?  Surprised me.

Anyways, I've had the game forever and decided to really give it a go, not my normal 15 minute attempt at playing with the little time I had.  And it was fun.

Graphics:  Stunning for the large part and the animations are great.  Has a bit of the Paper Mario 2 feel to it and that's a good thing.  Some weird crap in the game, but that's probably more an effect of the Japanese-ness of it.

Sound:  Good, but nothing super special.  For my money the music in Bonk's Revenge is still #1.  The meat-eating sound drives me nuts though.

Gameplay:  Now this is the important part.  It feels enough like the originals that you like it.  The level designs are close to the original Bonk for the most part too with obvious updates and tweeks.  But the balance is way off.  Some of the boss battles are HARD.  I mean, I was audibly PISSED a few times.  Cheap bastards.  The other thing was the final level is very very long, nearly as long as all the stages combined.  The action and fun was there, but just felt weird.  Kept me guessing the whole time, which, I guess, is a good thing though.  

Would I recommend buying it?  Since you need the Freeloader disc and the game disc and you'd need to import it, maybe not for the casual fan.  But definitely for the Bonk fiend.  

I did beat it in about 2.5-3 hours.  On the first real time through.  But realize I've played the originals about 200-300 hours probably  :oops:
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

GUTS

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 06:58:24 PM »
I've been meaning to get this for ages, but I couldn't decide on whether to get the PS2 version since I already have a modchip or the GC version which is most likely a little better.  Have you played the PS2 version by chance, or do you just have the GC one?  I wish there was an Xbox version so I could just get that and have the best of both worlds, hah.

Nemo

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 07:15:59 PM »
I have the PS2 version Guts, they're the same since it's a budget title.  I agree with D, the game is a lot of fun, though not as good as the originals.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 09:20:59 PM »
I was very excited when I first heard of this, but when I saw the screenshots I was totally put off by how apalling it looked. It looked like a poor Amiga game - or like something they had given the new kids in the company to convert to get some practice for 'proper' games.

I don't know how it looks in action, but the stills were enough to show me that it was a wasted opportunity compared to what it could have been.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

TR0N

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 11:04:41 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the remake D.

Dunno if i'll ever track down of a copy of it now :?:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 09:00:46 AM »
I really want to play it someday as well, along with the other Hudson Soft game remakes.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 09:20:09 AM »
Nemo sweet, I was thinking it'd have horrible load times or something.  I need to get that, and maybe Adventure Island also.  Your Bonk isn't for sale is it?  I don't think I saw it on your sale list, but I might have missed it.

D-Lite

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 11:12:20 AM »
I found a review Lawrence at gamesx.com did:

http://nfg.2y.net/games/bonkgc/

Nice stuff with lots of screenshots!
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

esteban

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 11:37:40 AM »
I have GC version + Freeloader, but haven't had the time to really play this game. It's on my "to do" list, but PlayStation 3 will be in stores before I'll actually have enough time for it.

I thought Aaron reviewed this game here at PCEfx ?   Maybe that was before he redsigned the site?

anyway, here's a review that the search engines might not pick up:
http://www.famiconsumer.com/bonk.html
  |    | 

Nemo

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 01:34:46 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
Nemo sweet, I was thinking it'd have horrible load times or something.  I need to get that, and maybe Adventure Island also.  Your Bonk isn't for sale is it?  I don't think I saw it on your sale list, but I might have missed it.

No, that one isn't for sale.  I'll also add that both the Star Soldier and Adventure Island remakes are nice games as well.  Star Soldier actually being my favorite.

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 02:24:07 PM »
I've heard a lot of people give crap to the Star Soldier remake, but I remember it looked awesome in the videos I saw for it a couple of years ago and they probably aren't in Star Soldier games to begin with anyways, which I sort of am (Final Soldier is under appreciated).
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

KingDrool

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 03:28:55 PM »
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"
I was very excited when I first heard of this, but when I saw the screenshots I was totally put off by how apalling it looked. It looked like a poor Amiga game - or like something they had given the new kids in the company to convert to get some practice for 'proper' games.

I don't know how it looks in action, but the stills were enough to show me that it was a wasted opportunity compared to what it could have been.

I think the game looks great.  I got it immediately after it came out and really enjoy what they did to it.  They made the fruit collecting a lot cooler, for example.  

Anyway, I haven't played it since I got it, but I do remember it being a lot of fun.  The only thing I really missed was the ability to turn on the turbo switches and make Bonk spin w/out having to repeatedly tap the button.  I was hoping they'd make one of the unused buttons a "turbo" button.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 03:48:16 PM »
I thought the graphics looked pretty good from videos I have seen (there is a  bit of a cheesy look in the graphics though which I think is where you are coming from, Paul.).

sunteam_paul

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 10:48:05 PM »
Quote from: "D-Lite"
I found a review Lawrence at gamesx.com did:

http://nfg.2y.net/games/bonkgc/

Nice stuff with lots of screenshots!

The screenshots in that review make the game look a whole lot better than the ones I saw when it first came out. Maybe they were unfinished shots or something, but it actually looks quite appealing now.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

lord_cack

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 11:34:19 PM »
WOW! I very much like the looks of that title. It would be nice to see some other games done up like that...well not in that same style but given a remake of that quality.
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....