Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23558 times)

tpivette

Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2013, 04:49:00 AM »
CF1 is the only game in the series I don't have. Have to pick that one up...

Any plans to clear CF3 or 4.1/2?
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2013, 05:28:04 AM »
Any plans to clear CF3 or 4.1/2?

Yep, I'm planning to play 'em in order.  I might sneak something else in between 'em, though.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2013, 05:55:34 AM »

Yep, I'm planning to play 'em in order.  I might sneak something else in between 'em, though.
like Energy?
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Mathius

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »
I really do wish the encounter rate wasn't so damn high. It cancels out the music at every battle then restarts it afterwards. It keeps me from hearing the whole tune.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2013, 06:07:58 AM »
Clear #18.5 - Cosmic Fantasy Visual Collection

Interesting but not of much value, other than to complete your PCE Cosmic Fantasy collection and for a peek at Babbette's nips.  At well over an hour, it takes a lot longer to get through than I expected (load, load, load some more!), but there's sadly precious little original artwork shown during the narration between cut scenes.  Why show me just the boring old logo when there's surely plenty of production sketches and fan art that could've been used?

P.S. - CF1 scenes 3 & 6 and CF2 scene 4 are the good stuff.  Giggitty.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2013, 08:45:26 AM »
Clear #19 - Cosmic Fantasy 3

The Good: the expected CF humor and cast, many cute enemies that look like they might've escaped from Jim Hensen's puppet lab, and a preview of a Babette bitchslapping at the end.

The Bad: meh tunes (worst is the vocal track used in boss fights); enough status ailments for itself and all those missing from CF2 too, but at least they don't do much other than prolong the battles a bit; the cutscenes took a hit, as now many of 'em are just on screen portraits and text (like what is seen often in cart rpgs); it never crashed, but there's a bug towards the end that piles up all the enemies at the edge of the screen; and the encounter rate is pretty rough, but at least you can run from most any battle.

The Ugly: the battle system is needlessly complex, allowing you to pick between up to three weapons and how to use it; the hit/miss rate is abysmal, with roughly 40% of your main attacks being ineffective (though stuff like magic almost always connects); and the bosses are either wimps or pre-determined ass kickings*.

* - [spoiler] the main party gets their collective ass handed to 'em with one hit kills, just so someone else can ride in and save the day in an equally lopsided victory over the boss [spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:02:37 AM by Necromancer »

roflmao

« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2013, 03:38:23 PM »
* - [spoiler] the main party gets their collective ass handed to 'em with one hit kills, just so someone else can ride in and save the day in an equally lopsided victory over the boss [spoiler]

Thanks for keeping this thread going, Necromancer!  I find your feedback very informative.

Also, that's a great way to hide spoilers!  I'm totally stealing your method if I need to in the future.

esteban

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »
Also, that's a great way to hide spoilers!  I'm totally stealing your method if I need to in the future.

Indeed it is.
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2013, 10:23:41 AM »
Clear #20 - Riot Zone

It's no Final Fight, yet it's good fun and it likely wouldn't catch near as much flak if Hawk and Tony really did go down fighting... together.

The Good: colorful, varied, and nicely detailed backgrounds; great tunes from the folks at T's Music; controls are mostly spot on; lots of tasty street meat to eat and bonus point stuff to nab; nifty little wanted poster cut scene between levels; big sprites with not too much flickering; Lance the human porcupine; and I like the little rats scurrying about the floor, but you unfortunately can't pick 'em up and huck 'em at the enemy

The Bad: rather easy; not many enemies (too many palette swaps); in addition to special moves being executed by the RUN button, you can press buttons I and II simultaneously, which leads to accidental use when you're trying to jump kick someone; no weapons to pick up and no destroyable stuff (boxes, barrels, etc.); and some stiff animation, particularly Tony's stick-in-ass walk

The Ugly: no two player mode!  :|
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:03:12 AM by Necromancer »

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »
Ah, someone who likes the tunes in Riot Zone!  It seems like most people don't like the music, but I think it's great!  It might not be my top tier choice, but still great. 

As for the rats scurrying about, & not being able to pick em up & throw them.....hmmmmmm, maybe we could do something like that in Dragon Arm!  I'll try to remember to mention that in our development for it, but if you end up beta testing it, try to remember that as a suggestion incase I forgot to mention it! :)

esteban

« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2013, 05:39:49 PM »

Riot Zone...a bit more love (variety of enemies) and it would have been better, IMHO.

|    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
Clear #21 - Godzilla

A great vs. fighter second only to Kabuki Itouryodan, but keep in mind I'm hardly a vs. fighter connoisseur.  Unless you're a collector, though, save the monies and get the PCE version with its all important bonus rounds.

The Good: great presentation (a bit like participating in a play) with fancy opening cinema, cool path/monster select screens, and 'bout card' screens showing each round's contestants; varied, sizeable, and good looking beasties; lots of fitting growls and beastly roars; and while it's a bit slow (kinda expected for giant monsters), it controls very well, especially considering there's only one attack button.

The Bad: Godzilla won't roar on command in one player rounds (why's that 'move' even in there?); you fight less than half the available opponents, so it's kinda short; clinch timing seems cheap, where 'zilla is often too slow to chomp (forget using a special move); and one player mode has you controlling Godzilla only - other monsters are playable only in two player mode and only after they're unlocked/beaten (see below)

The Ugly: the scoring is broken by the omission of the bonus rounds, making it nigh impossible to unlock the last two bosses.  I understand not bothering with the translation costs for the US version, as the quiz rounds don't add much to the fun factor and many gaijin wouldn't know the answers anyway, but couldn't they have adjusted the points required (or rewarded) easily enough?  :evil:

Gah!  I'm way behind, but I'll try to catch up and post more frequently.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:03:49 AM by Necromancer »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2013, 11:08:52 AM »
Clear #22 - Cosmic Fantasy 4, Chapter 1

There's no one fatal flaw, but all the negatives added together make it hard to love.  Still, it's worth a shot for CF fans.

The Good: you get to whack what might be Wizda's long lost cousin; handy spell icons make attack spells gaijin friendly; a few nice tunes (my fave was in the ice cave); lots of different battle backgrounds that change often to match your surroundings; a few easy maze/puzzles to figure out; nice cinemas..... eventually; and the most important - Saya tittehs!

The Bad: lengthy digi-comic sequence at the beginning, and not a terribly good one either; the first half cinemas are mostly crap, with mostly unanimated talking portraits; dumb mosaic transition into and out of battles (just like the SNES!!!); they look good, but there's quite a few recycled enemies and background tiles from CF3; and the encounter rate is rough.

The Ugly: clunky, slow battle system with meter filling BS; possibly game ending bug*, so make sure you alternate save slots just in case (good practice for any RPG really); and Saya's abuse was just too much.

* - [spoiler] After the Saya tentacle rape/molestation, don't make a bee line to save her with Yu.  Find and talk to the two hurt guys (the rest of Saya's party?) in town first, else you'll never find the two bodies and you won't be able to leave town [spoiler]

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2013, 04:24:11 AM »
Clear #23 - Cosmic Fantasy 4, Chapter 2

Not surprisingly, it's a lot like Chapter 1; it's still flawed, but most of what sucked in Chapter 1 has been fixed or at least improved upon.  Get it, play it, love it!

The Good: starts off again with a digi-comic, but this one is shorter, funnier, better animated, and action packed; oft humorous story line continued from CF2; lots of different enemies, including various betitted descendants of CF2's harpies; though there's not enough, the cut scenes are great; sizable dungeons with plenty of hidden passageways and puzzles to figure out; and another Babette shower scene!

The Bad: half the story is told with just spoken dialog while you stare at the characters on screen - you don't even get portraits this time; shops no longer show who can use what equipment; overuse of status effects; hp/mp don't refill on level up this go 'round; tedious encounter rate (it wouldn't be CF without it!); slow starting where it's hard to tell what to do or where to go; and some annoying in-battle sprite flicker.

The Ugly: stupid meter filling BS - it's ridiculously slow in the beginning, but it's not so bad after leveling up and with more people in your party; and the final boss fight was rather BS.

TR0N

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2013, 09:17:31 PM »
Congrats necro man i wish some body would fan-translate cf 1,3,4.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec