Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23565 times)

HailingTheThings

Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2014, 03:13:04 PM »
Wasn't Frozen Utopia or possibly another Homebrew dev. working on the third installment?

Yep, Nod was working on it.  It's on the back burner for now, but hopefully it'll get finished up some day.

^_^

seieienbu

« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2014, 09:13:18 PM »
So having recently run through the both of them, which Neutopia did you enjoy more?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2014, 03:00:42 AM »
So having recently run through the both of them, which Neutopia did you enjoy more?

They're both good and quite similar to each other, but I'll give the nod to part two, as it's equal or slightly better in most every respect.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

mitsuman

« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2014, 03:18:36 AM »
Now I want to play Neutopia. Unfortunately, for now, it would have to be on the Wii VC...  :cry:

seieienbu

« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2014, 07:15:12 AM »
Likewise.  I never really played part 2 outside of just checking out the rom briefly.  I wish I'd bought a copy but now I don't think I'm likely to ever own the game.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2014, 08:34:11 AM »
Slap 'em on the everdrive and give 'em a go!

Black Tiger

« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
Slap 'em on the everdrive and give 'em a go!

It's not like Hudson Soft is making anything off of Virtual Console purchases.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

seieienbu

« Reply #172 on: November 12, 2014, 03:04:40 AM »
I've been on the fence on an everdrive for a long time.  It seems like it would be the only affordable way to play the games that I never got (or the few that I've lost over the years) on real hardware.  At the same time, when I downloaded all the roms years ago and tried to play through a bunch of games it just didn't feel the same as hooking up my Turbo CD to a TV and using a controller that I've had since I was a kid.  When the Wii Virtual Console got a bunch of Turbo games I gave them a shot but again it didn't give me the same nostalgic feeling that the real games do. 

They're certainly cool, but I don't know if would enjoy having it or instead just not enjoy playing games the same way.  Hmm....

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2014, 03:11:08 AM »
There also good for playing translated roms (not that there's a plethora of 'em) or in place of a region mod.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2014, 05:14:02 AM »
Clear #42 - 3x3 Eyes

This clear is sponsored by Bernie.  :mrgreen:

'Tis an interesting comic with violent, gory action and some of the best looking cut scenes (when using the Arcade Card).  If you're a real baller, pay a bit more and get the version with the VHS pack in.... or just watch the short video on youtube.

The Good: fancy, animated intro and short cut scenes sprinkled throughout; colorful, detailed, and often changing backgrounds; tons of voice dialogue, which is presumably a good thing when you comprehend what they're saying; handy save file utility that lets you view (and delete) saved games and how much room each uses; and it's not entirely linear for better replayability.

The Bad: lengthy load at boot to fill the Arcade Card, which is understandable and expected, but there are other areas where it annoyingly loads every few seconds; mostly elevator music bgm, though the redbook versions played in the intro and credits are nice; as nice as the backgrounds look, they're sadly mostly static; and the maze portion looks good but there's not much to do.

The Ugly: Annoying pounding sound in intro animation and once again towards the end.  WTF is that shit?  It can't be intentional, but how did they miss it during play testing?!?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2014, 02:23:40 AM »
Clear #43 - Bakushou Yoshimoto

A fun but easy game; good thing it's cheap.

The Good:  mildly humorous scenarios, varied and nicely detailed backgrounds, lots of different 'enemies' to dispatch, okay music (track 8 recycles the laughing monkey sound found on Bonk 3 CD), and fun and silly mini-games.

The Bad:  it's very easy - only a couple levels offer any challenge at all in their platforming, and the only hard part of the mini-games is figuring out what you're supposed to do.

The Ugly:  NA

esteban

« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2014, 08:15:30 AM »
This is one of those games I don't know.
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2015, 09:47:25 AM »
Clear #44 - Ane-san

I prefer Riot Zone (especially the tunes), but this one ain't all bad.  Give it a go some time.

The Good: some nice backgrounds, okay cinemas, one good tune, a couple little mini-games, and good replayability with different characters to try and different things to unlock and shit to buy (all women love to shop!).

The Bad: some not so nice backgrounds, there's not much variety in enemies, most of the tunes are pretty bleh, and it's super easy.

The Ugly: most of the girls

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2015, 03:50:51 AM »
Clear #45 - Ys Book I & II

This one never gets old and is easily one of the best games of all time.

The Good: great storyline, interesting group of characters to meet, sweet tunes, talented voice work, good variety of environments to explore and items to use, and I even like the battle system.

The Bad: they're minor complaints, but the only things I dislike are the goofy background scrolling in the bell tower and that some of the voice work is a bit muffled.

The Ugly: NA

Gentlegamer

« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2015, 08:36:31 AM »
I've never seriously tried to play Ys, but I can't imagine I will like the "bump into things" combat.