Author Topic: 'Pcenginefx.com market value' Price List  (Read 2180 times)

FiftyQuid

Re: 'Pcenginefx.com market value' Price List
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 02:21:17 AM »
$30 for a complete Ghost Manor seems like a steal.  A lot of pricing is bang on, it's only a few that need some updating.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Obfuscate

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 04:08:26 AM »
Market value for video games is no different than anything else. I would love to hear some people here that list prices for games that go for 3 times what they say they're worth argue with an economics professor about what they are really worth. It may be what they're worth to you but they are not the current market value. It's sad these games go for so much now, I had a Turboduo as a kid but have only been collecting as an adult 3 1/2 years and just in that time the prices have doubled on most stuff. It sucks but it is what it is, I'm actually glad I "overpaid"  years ago for some games like Cotton and DE2 because if I had waited I'd either neverhave owned them or paid way more than I did. I'm really glad I only collect games that have sentimental value or that I know I'll like to play because trying to collect them all at these prices would be insane.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 07:47:51 AM »
Good points Black Tiger. We all know eBay prices are overinflated. That's why I try to do my part to sell PCE stuff for as low as I can to forum members. Could I make more money on eBay? Probably, but I'd rather put games into the hands of gamers rather than some guy who will flip a game the next week on the same site he bought it on. Thanks for putting together a reasonable price guide. It's a fantastic start, but some of the prices are a bit optimistic considering the current climate. Soldier Blade in particular has really jumped up in price these days. Maybe it will fall again? We can only hope!

esadajr

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 08:29:50 AM »
Darwing Duck more expensive than Dragon's Curse? seriously?
Gaming since 1985

Black Tiger

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 12:01:28 PM »
Magical Chase is the best example of both true value and value-based-solely-on-what-people-believe-others-value-something-for.

For 15 years, everyone could easily find Magical Chase for sale and the most it ever went for later on was $100 - $150. For the last few years before the artificial market leap, people here discussed how crazy it was that it even went for $100. We now have all these people who, for a decade and a half, declined to buy the game for <$150, because it apparently wasn't worth that much to them. Yet now, many of these same people are suddenly happy to pay $200+ for a game they didn't want, just because the game is now currently valuable to douchebags.

$150? Pfft, no thank you. :roll: What, it's worth $1500 to people who don't play games? :shock: Please take $300 of my money NOW! :o
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

storino03

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 12:05:06 PM »
Part of it is word of mouth. They buy the console and hear / or read about an article online saying "Magical Chase is the holy grail of Turbo Grafx games", and that helps to garner in interested parties, driving the price up.

Black Tiger

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
Part of it is word of mouth. They buy the console and hear / or read about an article online saying "Magical Chase is the holy grail of Turbo Grafx games", and that helps to garner in interested parties, driving the price up.

Hearing about a game yesterday and having it instantly be worth $1500 to you, while most other games for the same console are worth <$30, is speculation based on the speculation of other speculators. This is why the bubble will inevitably burst. You can't continue feeding off of another, building up prices based on nothing.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

geise

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »
God damn Magical Chase.  Here we go... ](*,)

I would also like to point out that BT's list is pretty damn accurate for buying outside of ebay.  REMEMBER! "buying.outside.of.ebay"
Bardoly, I would pretty much go by BT's list.  There's some leeway but if you are going to sell here then those prices would be good and should sell fairly quickly. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 02:16:22 PM by geise »

bartre

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 06:19:59 AM »
agreed, BT's list is pretty accurate, most of my collection has been purchased for less than his prices, with the exception of two games.
dragon's curse - $31 - wanted it real bad, didn't know about this site
Legendary Axe - $9 - eh, two bucks, pretty game, didn't care.

and to anyone who thinks he's crazy, i got shockman at the end of last year for $35, complete and damned sexy.

Xray

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »
I sold my copy of MC, complete with box/manual, a couple years back.
Don't recall what I got, must have been somewhere between $325-$375. No regrets. Never particularly cared for the game itself, and felt if someone wanted to pay that much for it, have at it.
Never thought about it until now, but its likely been flipped multiple times since then ,,, And sure, the bubble will pop. Its value is entirely intrinsic, and is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. If I had another copy, I'd sell it now, rather than hoard it in the expectation that the price will double in a year.

I collect historical military things, primarily WW2 USMC, and Imperial & WW2 German - Talk about a mine field !
Bubbles pop, and new ones are formed. Things that might have been worth an easy $300 last month, you might be lucky to get $100 for ,,, And sometimes, the other way around. Plus, there are hoards of fakes to contend with, at least thats not much of a factor with video games.
I'm not  an investment collector, so market trends don't affect me much one way or the other - I look at it the same was as with these games.

DarkKobold

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 09:18:38 AM »
Wow, this rambling, incoherent mess is wrong on so many levels. Additionally, there is a certain level of arrogance littered in this post. It states that anyone who doesn't agree with your prices is a gouger, idiot, etc. Apparently, you know more than the free market.

Highest possible or hopeful possible selling prices should only interest sellers. Why would a buyer care about the MOST a game can sell for? Seriously, if you are looking to buy a particular game, why would you even be aware of the highest prices? Non-investor buyers should only be concerned with lower end prices, unless over-paying is part of your hobby (unfortunately, it is bragging rights for some). Dynastic Hero has only sold for $50 for what, the past year now? But we should ignore that and instead focus on the imaginary prices it could have sold for instead? Or does it only work in gouging-supporting ways?

First off, that Dynastic Heroes for $50 was a once off, idiotic move by a seller. That is not Open Market Value. Lets look at actual completed auctions -

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/turbografx-16/dynastic-hero-%5Bsuper-cd%5D#completed-auctions

Regardless of your PERSONAL opinions on its value, it has been demonstrated in the real world what people value it at, and it is well above $50. A buyer should be concerned with what the current fair market value, so they don't get ripped off, and have a good expectation of what they should expect to pay. Numbers pulled directly from the ass of Black Tiger are hardly an indicator of value.

I paid $5 for a sealed Magical Chase. Some clown paying $5000 for one is an extreme in the opposite end. Both are equally factual. The prices I listed are double what MC sold for up until the market began being unnaturally manipulated. I know of people who have bought and sold them for lower prices than I listed since then as well. Why do you guys think that MC is rarely listed for sale anymore, if it is so easy to sell for the gouged prices it supposedly demands? Soldier Blade has also slowed in sales in gouging circles, as those who snatch them up, believing them to be priceless, continue to see them failing to sell at crazy escalating prices. In the meantime, the credit card interest these people are racking up convinces them to continue to hold out for the market to support the fantasy so they can perhaps at least break even on their investments.

Wow, you made up so much bullshit here, it makes Fox News look factual. Lets address them here.

#1. "MC sold for up until the market began being unnaturally manipulated." - How was the market unnaturally manipulated? This is basic freaking economics. MC is on everyone's want list - and there are nowhere near enough copies to go around. Thus, on the open market, i.e. Ebay, it goes to the person willing to pay the most. Any back-room deals or amazing finds don't count towards the actual value; they weren't exposed to an open market of buyers to determine the price.

#2. "Why do you guys think that MC is rarely listed for sale anymore, if it is so easy to sell for the gouged prices it supposedly demands? " Because there is no supply! The people who have it want to keep it! Why are there no Nintendo World Championships available if they sell for $23,000? Jeez, with this logic, the Mona Lisa should be for sale, since it would fetch $100 Million or more!

#3. "In the meantime, the credit card interest these people are racking up convinces them to continue to hold out for the market to support the fantasy so they can perhaps at least break even on their investments." Talk about fantasy. In this single line, you are determining that the people who are buying rare Turbografx games are A) only buying them as investments, and B) somehow you mystically know they are all in credit card debt. Perhaps this is a reflection on how YOU live your life.

That last point just makes my head spin. How anyone can take you serious after that is beyond me. You live in this fantasy world where you know so much about every ebay buyer and seller. The reality is you really don't know anything about these people; how they got the games they are selling, why they are willing to pay what they are, or what their current financial situation is.

I've seen Shockman either sell or available to buy at the prices I listed a few times in the past six months, one of which I bought for myself. High-end eBay prices are above market value, by the very nature of eBay for both buyers and sellers. Checkout the current completed listings for Shockman and properly interpret the unsold, sold and total number of listings, factoring in eBay fees and now limited completed view, etc. And these are still higher than what some sold for on eBay not long ago.

Ebay is the market value, if it sells! And yes, prices fluctuate, depending on who is currently looking for a game, and what they are willing to spend.

People who promote ridiculous prices wonder how the rest of us find games for reasonable prices. The first steps are to stop using top prices to gauge value and stop dismissing low end prices as freak anomalies. The best deals here and elsewhere (even through eBay) are found off the public record. I have advertised several items on this forum over the past year for prices which gouged-price-supporters say don't exist. What those listings don't show, is how I actually offered most of the buyers even better deals. They didn't ask for it, didn't haggle or anything. I just offered them to people I like. I also scored several "impossible" deals for myself that weren't advertised in threads. Some of which were offered to me unsolicited.

Once again, a private sale isn't the open market, and in no way determines the actual value of an item.  Only when a group of buyers is allowed to make a choice of whether or not to buy an item, and for how much, is a real price determined.

Not only does every eBay listing which fails to sell at any given price tell as much a story as those which do, but every time something is given away for free, it dilutes the real actual value of the item even further. Look around at how much stuff is being given away for free around here. You can look at games I valued at $5 - $20 each as actually being worth $20 - $50 each, but they are literally selling for $0.00 on a regular basis in this forum. Just as most of the best deals happen behind the scenes, people give away at least as much stuff without publicly talking about it. I valued the loose Turbo CD System Card higher because of the novelty value of allowing you to view warning screens. But after buying a Turbo CD on here for $90, I privately sent it to someone for free after they asked to buy it with money. I've given away more Turbo/PCE stuff than I've sold on this forum and most of it has been done in private. The more people go out of their way to defend gouged prices, the more I see that I should make a big deal out of my freebies, like many of the raffles do.

If you win a free car on a game show, you are required to pay tax on its actual value. Just because you got the car for free doesn't mean that it doesn't have a market value (which you are taxed on!), and your free car is in no way factored into what people consider the car worth.  People here are willing to give away games that they could get money for. That is awesome of them, but it has no effect on the actual value someone is willing to pay.

The most important thing that gouged price supporters fail to understand is that true value, what something is actually worth paying for to most people, can still sit far below what it (seldom) sells for. If 90% of Turbo fans wouldn't pay more than $100 for Magical Chase and literally never will, while 1% pay the hyped gouged prices which only transpire twice a year... that means that Magical Chase it literally worth no more than $100. If you can't wrap your head around that, then you're likely be stuck in that other 9% group.

Ugh, the arrogance here is amazing. You are determining exactly what the community should pay for MC, and anyone who doesn't agree is clearly a "gouger." The reason the prices are high twice a year is because that is all you see, the game available for sale twice a year.

The rest of the post continues to babble about "gougers" without any facts to actually substantiate this flawed view point. You are just claiming that you have some innate psychic ability to know what the community should value the game at.  You use words such as true, actually, most people, etc. You don't know what people will pay, only your personal valuation.

In short, to quote Billy Madison,

Mr. Black Tiger, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Hey, you.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »
DarkKobold's rambling, incoherent mess is wrong on so many levels:

First off, that Dynastic Heroes for $50 was a once off, idiotic move by a seller.

It was twice, actually, but who's counting?

That is not Open Market Value. Lets look at actual completed auctions -

bullshit, inaccurate listing that only looks at eBay and doesn't take region or condition into account

Regardless of your PERSONAL opinions on its value, it has been demonstrated in the real world what people value it at, and it is well above $50. A buyer should be concerned with what the current fair market value, so they don't get ripped off, and have a good expectation of what they should expect to pay. Numbers pulled directly from the ass of Black Tiger are hardly an indicator of value.

So the only indicator of value is eBay auctions that end above some make-believe threshold?  Sounds logical: EBAY IS THE ONLY MARKET, DAMMIT!!!

How was the market unnaturally manipulated?

By resellers buying up multiple copies of various titles to control the supply and only sell at wide profit margins.  Duh - it's basic economics.

MC is on everyone's want list - and there are nowhere near enough copies to go around. Thus, on the open market, i.e. Ebay, it goes to the person willing to pay the most. Any back-room deals or amazing finds don't count towards the actual value; they weren't exposed to an open market of buyers to determine the price.

Again: EBAY IS THE ONLY MARKET, DAMMIT!!!

#2. "Why do you guys think that MC is rarely listed for sale anymore, if it is so easy to sell for the gouged prices it supposedly demands? " Because there is no supply! The people who have it want to keep it! Why are there no Nintendo World Championships available if they sell for $23,000? Jeez, with this logic, the Mona Lisa should be for sale, since it would fetch $100 Million or more!

Sounds like you missed the point.  Surprise!

#3. "In the meantime, the credit card interest these people are racking up convinces them to continue to hold out for the market to support the fantasy so they can perhaps at least break even on their investments." Talk about fantasy. In this single line, you are determining that the people who are buying rare Turbografx games are A) only buying them as investments, and B) somehow you mystically know they are all in credit card debt. Perhaps this is a reflection on how YOU live your life.

That last point just makes my head spin. How anyone can take you serious after that is beyond me. You live in this fantasy world where you know so much about every ebay buyer and seller. The reality is you really don't know anything about these people; how they got the games they are selling, why they are willing to pay what they are, or what their current financial situation is.

The reality is that you know no more about their financial situation, yet are proclaiming that B.T. can't possibly be correct.  Thank God for omniscient clowns.

Ebay is the market value, if it sells! And yes, prices fluctuate, depending on who is currently looking for a game, and what they are willing to spend.

Yet again: EBAY IS THE ONLY MARKET, DAMMIT!!!

Once again, a private sale isn't the open market, and in no way determines the actual value of an item.  Only when a group of buyers is allowed to make a choice of whether or not to buy an item, and for how much, is a real price determined.

And once more for safety: EBAY IS THE ONLY MARKET, DAMMIT!!!

Ugh, the arrogance here is amazing.

Indeed.  The hypocrisy ain't bad either.

You are determining exactly what the community should pay for MC, and anyone who doesn't agree is clearly a "gouger." The reason the prices are high twice a year is because that is all you see, the game available for sale twice a year.

Yep, that's all you see on eBay and thus the only thing that matters!

The rest of the post continues to babble about eBay being the one true source for values (except for aberrations where something sells for less than some preconceived notion of worth) without any facts to actually substantiate this flawed view point. You are just claiming that you have some innate psychic ability to know that the community believes that eBay is the end all, be all of market pricing.  You use words such as true, actually, most people, etc. You don't know what people will pay, only your personal valuation based on high priced BINs that go unsold.

Too long, didn't read version: D.K. is weeks late and a few IQ points short, yet he's worn the clown shoes well.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Opethian

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 10:31:33 AM »
DarkKobold you seem to have it all figured out. Please go back to ebay with that attitude.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:33:53 AM by Opethian »

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

DarkKobold

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »
First off, that Dynastic Heroes for $50 was a once off, idiotic move by a seller.

It was twice, actually, but who's counting?

Alright, genius, if that is what it is worth, I'll pay you $75. Easy $25 profit. Go find a copy for $50. Waiting...

Oh wait, you can't.

That is not Open Market Value. Lets look at actual completed auctions -

ACTUAL f*ckING DATA!

By resellers buying up multiple copies of various titles to control the supply and only sell at wide profit margins.  Duh - it's basic economics.

You are making a substantial claim here. You provide the proof. Waiting...

MC is on everyone's want list - and there are nowhere near enough copies to go around. Thus, on the open market, i.e. Ebay, it goes to the person willing to pay the most. Any back-room deals or amazing finds don't count towards the actual value; they weren't exposed to an open market of buyers to determine the price.
Again: EBAY IS THE ONLY MARKET, DAMMIT!!!

Ebay, Amazon, half, etc are the only markets open to the general public. Unless you consider PM deals here "open market." If you do, then you are retarded.

Sounds like you missed the point.  Surprise!

Really, then, oh grand master, what is the point? Magical Chase isn't available for sale, to anyone at the moment. Prove me wrong.

The reality is that you know no more about their financial situation, yet are proclaiming that B.T. can't possibly be correct.  Thank God for omniscient clowns.

I made NO CLAIM as to what their financial situation was. For all we know, some sellers could be exactly like BlackTiger said. However, without any factual data, we can't make any factual assertion either way. BlackTiger quoted his credit card bullshit as fact. I simply stated that "fact" was a made up fantasy.

And once more for safety: EBAY IS THE ONLY MARKET, DAMMIT!!!

You keep saying this. However, beyond Amazon and half.com, what are "open markets" available for the general public to make buying decisions? Given the world-wide nature of eBay and its ilk, you aren't going to find a more accurate indicator of what people are willing to pay, based on the availability of an item.

only your personal valuation based on high priced BINs that go unsold.

Actually, BINs that don't sell are a perfect example of the free market working. People post things, they don't sell. Ergo, they are not worth what the person asked. If you somehow thought I was suggesting that unsold BINs are an indicator of actual value, then there is no hope for you.

Too long, didn't read version: D.K. is weeks late and a few IQ points short, yet he's worn the clown shoes well.

Sticks and stones. Provide facts and data, instead of making baseless assertions and cutesy insults.
Hey, you.

vestcoat

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »

You are making a substantial claim here. You provide the proof. Waiting...
Look here, dickbag, a lot of us have been here for years, bought our Turbos when they were in stores, we've beaten the subjects of Magical Chase, and price guides, and market manipulation to death (use the goddamn search tool), and we're not really interested in dredging the lake every two weeks when some a$$hole noob with fifty posts waltzes in and demands an explanation of why we don't think ebay prices are some kind of sacrament from God.  You might find a couple of receptive listeners, but you're basically arguing with a bunch of grognards and surly old misanthropes. In case you didn't notice, we have a nearly 200-hundred-page thread bitching about ebay prices and half the guys here are members of the f*ck Ebay Club. If you're so smart and we're so arrogant, then crawl back to ebay or try to find good deals and raffles on Racketboy. If you don't like our views, you're caucusing with the wrong party.

Anyway, here's one account for your proof:
What really gets me is a particular guy who sells on ebay... I asked him if he had MC, because of the items(s) he was selling, and he told me he had 6 or 8 copies.  And when I keep harassing him, presumably to sell me a copy, he told me he was holding on to them for investment purposes. 

Magical Chase isn't available for sale, to anyone at the moment. Prove me wrong.
There is one copy of MC available on the public market right now. You have to be a little bit resourceful to find it, but it's there and the price, while outlandish by our standards, would probably be reasonable by yours, considering its condition.