Author Topic: Official PCE games that are 80-100% in english and no/little japanese required  (Read 4152 times)

roflmao

Thanks for making the effort to create this list, Bigus!  This is awesome, and needs to be stickied. :)

BigusSchmuck

Do you guys have some more we can add?

roflmao

Hatris!

VolfieV(D)!

Lode Runner: Lost Labrynth  :-"

I don't have it but I would imagine Double Dragon II would be easily playable without any knowledge of Japanese.  

Flash Hiders is a fighter and can be played without understanding the text.  That goes for all the fighting games, Street Fighter II: CE', Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury 2, Fatal Fury Special, I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of (I don't own or play many of 'em).

I see some PCE versions of US games listed, so here are a couple more of the Japanese counterparts that don't require any knowledge of the language: Crest of Wolf (Riot Zone), Pomping World (Buster Bros).

Altered Beast, though you'd need a V1 System card or a flash card to play the CD version.

Magicoal is somewhat text heavy, but it's still playable (and enjoyable).  Same goes for Dungeon Explorer II and Neutopia II.

Also, the Tennokoe Bank is easy to figure out how to use and is an essential addition to any library.

If you want to go the extra mile, I've been using great walkthrus for FEOE: Kabuki Den and Dragon Knight III and have had no issues so far.  The games have been very enjoyable to play with the walkthrus (found on gamefaqs). I've saved the text files to my computer, but if you'd like I could dig up the links on gamefaqs.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:11:34 PM by roflmao »

Ninja Spirit

Metal Stoker: Neo Hardboiled Shooting is fully in English.

BigusSchmuck

Metal Stoker: Neo Hardboiled Shooting is fully in English.
On the list already, thanks though.

seieienbu

This is a cool list, thanks for compiling it.  I think I'm going to give the Wizardry games a try since they've got so much English.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

wildfruit

die hard is easy enough to play. the title credits are in english and so is the continue screen. there are about 2 lines of japanese at the start of every level but it doesnt seem rewuired to understand it

Trenton_net

A little off topic: What parts of Carman Sandiago are in English and what is in Japanese?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
The only part not translated is the encyclopedia you can use to look stuff up, but don't let that scare you away.  You likely won't need it anyway, and there's always google if you do need some info.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

kormendi

Does Dynastic Hero fit on the list or does the sphinx riddle create too much of a language barrier?

Black Tiger

die hard is easy enough to play. the title credits are in english and so is the continue screen. there are about 2 lines of japanese at the start of every level but it doesnt seem rewuired to understand it

It's also been translated into English.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Trenton_net

Is Exile II playable without much Japanese knowledge? I know the fights are all side scrolling action, so I was hoping so.

Black Tiger

Is Exile II playable without much Japanese knowledge? I know the fights are all side scrolling action, so I was hoping so.

It's more straightforward/linear than Exile.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

kiketonto

Add break-in to the list!

bonoedgey

thanks for making this list. As someone that is looking at many of these games for the first time, its great to know all this  :clap: