Author Topic: Official PCE games that are 80-100% in english and no/little japanese required  (Read 4191 times)

wilykat

The second cheapest is to have the system modded.  It's only $16 plus shipping for OBEY card if you can handle soldering iron well.  8P2T switch used to be cheapest but lately it has been hard to find one for less than $25 and it's too frickin' big for PCE GT or TurboExpress.

gheebee

How about Valkyrie no Densetsu? I was thinking about buying it since it looked fun and like it would be playable without being able to understand Japanese, but sometimes it looks like there is a bit of dialog in the game and I don't know if it contains anything you're going to need to know to play certain parts of the game.

VenomMacbeth

How about Valkyrie no Densetsu? I was thinking about buying it since it looked fun and like it would be playable without being able to understand Japanese, but sometimes it looks like there is a bit of dialog in the game and I don't know if it contains anything you're going to need to know to play certain parts of the game.

It's playable & very fun.  From what I can tell, the Japanese bits are only for earning bonus items, so it should be doable without knowing the language.  If you wanna get the questions right, there's a longplay video on YouTube that shows what the answers are.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:56:46 AM by VenomMacbeth »
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

gheebee

It's playable & very fun.  From what I can tell, the Japanese bits are only for earning bonus items, so it should be doable without knowing the language.  If you wanna get the questions right, there's a longplay video on YouTube that shows what the answers are.

I was hoping to hear something like this, going to pick up a copy soon. Thanks!

dangdang

ZeroChamp is english? Seems mostly Japanese to me...

Black Tiger

ZeroChamp is english? Seems mostly Japanese to me...

Someone probably thought that they're racing games.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

TheAlphaOmegaX3

Hello everyone! New guy on the forums here. Is Neutopia PCE still fully enjoyable without the worry of missing out on the story and the likes?

roflmao

Hello everyone! New guy on the forums here. Is Neutopia PCE still fully enjoyable without the worry of missing out on the story and the likes?

Welcome! I have the PCE version of Neutopia 2 and have no idea what's going on. I eventually loaded up the US version on a flash cart and played it that way.

If you don't intend on finishing it, you could probably still get at least a handful of hours of enjoyment from the PCE version since it's just a fun game to play, but you might run into trouble actually completing it.

TheAlphaOmegaX3

Welcome! I have the PCE version of Neutopia 2 and have no idea what's going on. I eventually loaded up the US version on a flash cart and played it that way.

If you don't intend on finishing it, you could probably still get at least a handful of hours of enjoyment from the PCE version since it's just a fun game to play, but you might run into trouble actually completing it.

That's what I was worried about. I really want to play the first one AND finish it. Looks like I'll have to invest in a region mod at some point. First I just need to get the PCE and Super CD system to play, which I plan on taking care of very soon, and pick up the mod later. Too bad since Neutopia is also much cheaper on PCE than TG....at least on Ebay. Which leads me a few more questions I'll ask outside of this topic.

Black Tiger

Like The Legend of Zelda, there's not much of any text-driven story to miss out on and the world and dungeons don't have any kind of gaijin-protection. It's actually less of a random guessing game that the first Zelda game, as you're given a world with a couple dungeons at a time.

You can also play Turbo games on a PCE system using a Turbo Everdrive. But Neutopia isn't even expensive if you know how to shop.

TheAlphaOmegaX3

Like The Legend of Zelda, there's not much of any text-driven story to miss out on and the world and dungeons don't have any kind of gaijin-protection. It's actually less of a random guessing game that the first Zelda game, as you're given a world with a couple dungeons at a time.

You can also play Turbo games on a PCE system using a Turbo Everdrive. But Neutopia isn't even expensive if you know how to shop.

Hey, thanks for the link and thanks for your opinion!

ginoscope

Agree with Black Tiger you can find deals on ebay if you are patient and look around.  I won one of those auctions that he linked to for Neutopia.

I also recently won an auction that listed Double Dungeons CIC but the hucard was for order of griffon for $25 so deals are possible if you are patient.

TheAlphaOmegaX3

Agree with Black Tiger you can find deals on ebay if you are patient and look around.  I won one of those auctions that he linked to for Neutopia.

I also recently won an auction that listed Double Dungeons CIC but the hucard was for order of griffon for $25 so deals are possible if you are patient.

lol Yep. I went ahead and bought the Neutopia complete in like new condition for $27 shipped with tracking from Japan! Bought Cadash Complete in same condition for $25 as well. Yeah I waited and it paid off. Thanks.

Black Tiger

I once bought OotG in a Klax case at a flea market.

the shapesmith

This thread is a GODSEND!  Thanks to all who contributed to it.  I'm hopefully getting my system in the near future and have been wondering what games were the best way to get started.