Author Topic: Nintendo Revolution gets TurboGrafx support!  (Read 2164 times)

esteban

Nintendo Revolution gets TurboGrafx support!
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »
I have an obvious question that hasn't been addressed:

How accurate will the emulation be on Revolution?

I'm most interested in how TG-16 hardware will be emulated... any past examples of this? (IIRC, someone here mentioned that a Dreamcast download service in Japan offered a bunch of emulated PCE games several years ago -- but I think they only offered HuCard ROMs... ).

:)
  |    | 

motdelbuort

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2006, 07:27:34 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"

I'm most interested in how TG-16 hardware will be emulated... any past examples of this? (IIRC, someone here mentioned that a Dreamcast download service in Japan offered a bunch of emulated PCE games several years ago -- but I think they only offered HuCard ROMs... ).

Well there are several commercial emulation services out there right now. Time Warner offers a virtual console service with Sega games from pretty much all their consoles. I've heard good things about the quality of the emulation on there for the most part, but I've never tried it. Makes you wonder what kind of deal Sega has with Nintendo, vs. their deal with Time Warner. Hudson, though, has no deal with anyone as far as I know.

This Dreamcast thing really interests me. Could this mean that, somewhere in the world, there are VMUs with PCE games on them, and perhaps a good emulator?

akamichi

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2006, 10:18:19 PM »
I wonder if there's a possibilty of Saturn emulation on Rev.  I remember rumors of a Sat emu for DC, but of course nothing ever came of them.  However, it seemed like Sega might have at least considered the possibility.  Perhaps there's some code laying around.

As for Rev's emulation quality, I suspect that it'll be good enough for most but crappy for the console "purists" out there. :)  It sounds like it'll all be software based, so it should be possible to upgrade the emus for better compatibility if necessary.

Now, if Nintendo announces their next Gameboy with virtual console capability/compatibility with Rev, then they will have become the Apple/iTunes/iPod of video games.

esteban

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2006, 05:46:32 AM »
Quote from: "motdelbuort"
Quote from: "stevek666"

Well there are several commercial emulation services out there right now. Time Warner offers a virtual console service with Sega games from pretty much all their consoles. I've heard good things about the quality of the emulation on there for the most part, but I've never tried it. Makes you wonder what kind of deal Sega has with Nintendo, vs. their deal with Time Warner. Hudson, though, has no deal with anyone as far as I know.

This Dreamcast thing really interests me. Could this mean that, somewhere in the world, there are VMUs with PCE games on them, and perhaps a good emulator?
Agreed. If only we could find some folks with first-hand experience with Dreamcast PCE games -- especially the technical aspects!
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2006, 05:55:19 AM »
Quote from: "akamichi"
I wonder if there's a possibilty of Saturn emulation on Rev.  I remember rumors of a Sat emu for DC, but of course nothing ever came of them.  However, it seemed like Sega might have at least considered the possibility.  Perhaps there's some code laying around.

As for Rev's emulation quality, I suspect that it'll be good enough for most but crappy for the console "purists" out there. :)  It sounds like it'll all be software based, so it should be possible to upgrade the emus for better compatibility if necessary.
Well, if this is a litmus test, I suppose I'm one of those bastard console purists... but I still would like to check out the Revolution (or any service offering PCE games) simply for the novelty of it. But I'm not going to waste too much money on emulation -- it's better spent elsewhere, IMO. Still, if money was not a concern, I'd want to try all the PCE games offered, from any service, just to see what it was like!

Now, if Nintendo announces their next Gameboy with virtual console capability/compatibility with Rev, then they will have become the Apple/iTunes/iPod of video games.
Hahahahhahaa. Nintendo, like Apple, have been very clever at making money. We'll soon see what their master plan is :)
  |    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2006, 07:03:21 AM »
If this machine is able to directly play SCDs...this will definately mean a big boost in independant PCE developments, as PD stated. More exposure = good. :D

KingDrool

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2006, 12:12:34 PM »
Check this out.  Got this info from a Hudson rep:

I don't know what titles will be available for the Virtual Console domestically. We're hoping to release the entire TurboGrafx US library, but there may be licensing issues and publishing issues to deal with. As far as import titles go, that's all up in the air.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

esteban

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006, 07:40:09 PM »
Quote from: "jlued686"
Check this out.  Got this info from a Hudson rep:

I don't know what titles will be available for the Virtual Console domestically. We're hoping to release the entire TurboGrafx US library, but there may be licensing issues and publishing issues to deal with. As far as import titles go, that's all up in the air.
Well, at least the rep is being optimistic. :) I am rather pessimistic, myself, but I am happy to hear this from Hudson. Thanks for sharing it :).
  |    | 

akamichi

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006, 02:27:43 AM »
That's interesting.  Somehow I think it would suck if Nintendo had different offerings for different regions.  Yes, that's how iTunes works unfortunately, but I guess it all depends how the various companies want to do it.

With all the info on the internet, it would be nice to d/l the Japanese versions of some old classics (Castlevania 3 and Gradius 2 for instance) just to see firsthand what the big deal was all about.

deamentia

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2006, 10:02:11 AM »
All will be revealed at E3!

Thanks guys for being riled up about Hudson. Hopefully we'll have some nice surprises for you!

Keranu

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2006, 07:42:23 PM »
I can't wait to see what is uncovered :D !
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

KingDrool

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2006, 01:42:19 PM »
I played Bonk's Adventure on Wii at E3 the other day and it played beautifully.  The top two buttons operated as "turbo" buttons, allowing Bonk to spin through the air, so no worries about having to press the buttons repeatedly.  It worked awesome.

Hudson apparently has said that all their 1st party games will be available at launch.  NICE!
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Keranu

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2006, 05:56:05 PM »
Wait a minute, they had a set up for Bonk's Adventure on the Wii at E3??  :shock:  I had no idea! I did read something about Hudson being responsible for a airplane game, and I assumed it was the one shown in the demo, which I thought was going to be a new pilot wings game. Please fill me in on any new Hudson info!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2006, 06:09:47 PM »
Keep in mind every body.

You will have to pay a fee to... down load those games onto the Wii :P

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Keranu

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2006, 08:38:43 PM »
Nevermind, I found out all about it, plus a little extra :D . Check out this thread at Hudson's message boards http://www.hudsonentertainment.com/viewtopic.php?t=8 . I'm excited about all this new info :D . And yes, that airplane game I saw on Wii is by Hudson!