Author Topic: 'Collectards' and the state of the classic gaming hobby  (Read 2562 times)

Gentlegamer

'Collectards' and the state of the classic gaming hobby
« on: July 06, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »
I don't normally do this, but I came across a post at another forum that seems like it embodies much of what is wrong with the current collector hobby market.

I for one am happy about the current state and see no problem. I am glad lots of people are getting into it. It gives the hobby weight, relevance, and value. I don't want to collect useless junk. I want to collect shit that people really love and want to have. It takes $$$ or luck to have nice things.

This whole mindset is completely opaque to me. I understand status-seeking, but using video games for this? It's baffling to me.

It feels like the collecting equivalent of this:

Anyway, post your rants or flames here on 'collectards' or the 'haters,' whichever side you fall on.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:58:04 AM by Gentlegamer »

esteban

Re: 'Collectards' and the state of the classic gaming hobby
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 12:15:32 AM »
Wow, I still wonder if that post was serious or in jest.

All I can say is...
  |    | 

Gentlegamer

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 12:56:52 AM »
The post is completely serious.

He got upset when I called him 'collectard.'

Opethian

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 02:01:01 AM »
look no further than nintendoage, amiibos, ebay, and autism

all relevant factors and a deadly combination. cash out while you can. no matter how cool you think you are there will always be some asshat with more money than sense.

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

esteban

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 02:01:16 AM »

Ok, that is blood-boiling.
  |    | 

Gypsy

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 02:25:45 AM »
If it's not about playing the games then you've lost the damn plot.

Opethian

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 02:38:22 AM »
video games are now conversational pieces nothing more...

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

xelement5x

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 04:12:14 AM »
video games are now conversational pieces nothing more...

Oh, and investment opportunities! 

The price of gold GAMES is rising!  Lock your returns in now!
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 04:54:29 AM »

Is this that Needler guy who has like 6 different collectarding threads running on sega-16?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

mitsuman

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 05:14:06 AM »
As a joke, I listed my PCE Duo with turbo tap, 5 controllers and an extension cable on my local Craigslist...at $700.

I was curious to see what kind of response I would get. This area is not real big on retro gaming/collecting (that I know of), but who knows.

I honestly think collecting games is ridiculous. You are not going to get super rich by doing this. It is not a retirement plan. You have no street cred because you own something that only 4 other people have. Just play the damn game and move on.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 06:23:29 AM »
Collectard asshats can get f*cked.  Other than making sure I have enough insurance in case of fire/theft/etc, my collection's worth isn't relevant; I ain't selling, so who gives a shit.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

jeffhlewis

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 06:24:14 AM »
In recent years I've gotten more of a laser focus on what I purchase vs. just buying a bunch of crap. So much so, that I'm just considering selling off entire pieces of my collection (i.e. all of the Nintendo shit), keeping what I actually want to play, and dumping to proceeds into my Roth IRA.

BlueBMW

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 08:40:50 AM »
^^^^  This

People have noticed I've been selling a lot lately.  I'm doing just what Jeff said.  Zeroing in on what I really like and want and play and cutting everything else.  I'm dumping the money into college tuition and not an IRA but close enough.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

turboswimbz

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 09:01:50 AM »
^^^^  This

People have noticed I've been selling a lot lately.  I'm doing just what Jeff said.  Zeroing in on what I really like and want and play and cutting everything else.  I'm dumping the money into college tuition and not an IRA but close enough.

I never was one to amass large amount of games I don't play.  I collect TG-16 because I love playing it. that's it. 

My biggest fear is surrounding myself with items and games I never play, I'd rather spend money, climbing a mountain, or seeing a new city, or even just enjoying the local boardwalks then $40 on a game I might play once and let sit on a shelf so one day someone will walk by and say, "hey you have ..."  If that is winning in life, I'd rather lose.   

On a side note, Someone who came over to play my games, got mad that I have everdrives and only a few Nintendo games (mostly from my childhood, and A few I really love and wanted physical copies)  Literally got upset and said "how dare you call yourself a collector"   I pointed out I'm an enthusiast who likes playing games. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

sirhcman

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 09:37:35 AM »
In recent years I've gotten more of a laser focus on what I purchase vs. just buying a bunch of crap. So much so, that I'm just considering selling off entire pieces of my collection (i.e. all of the Nintendo shit), keeping what I actually want to play, and dumping to proceeds into my Roth IRA.

Jeff please let me help you fund that IRA! :)