Author Topic: 'Collectards' and the state of the classic gaming hobby  (Read 2561 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: 'Collectards' and the state of the classic gaming hobby
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 09:42:12 AM »
On a side note, Someone who came over to play my games, got mad that I have everdrives and only a few Nintendo games (mostly from my childhood, and A few I really love and wanted physical copies)  Literally got upset and said "how dare you call yourself a collector" 

So that's why you needed a 55 gallon drum and a shovel.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Jibbajaba

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 09:56:28 AM »
On a side note, Someone who came over to play my games, got mad that I have everdrives and only a few Nintendo games (mostly from my childhood, and A few I really love and wanted physical copies)  Literally got upset and said "how dare you call yourself a collector"   I pointed out I'm an enthusiast who likes playing games. 

That person sounds like a real asshat.  Reminds me of a guy who came out to a Neo-Geo meet-up one time, and threw a fit because someone else had brought some burned Dreamcast games.  I wasn't at that meet-up, but he has been banned from all future get-togethers.

esteban

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 11:00:17 AM »

In recent years I've gotten more of a laser focus on what I purchase vs. just buying a bunch of crap. So much so, that I'm just considering selling off entire pieces of my collection (i.e. all of the Nintendo shit), keeping what I actually want to play, and dumping to proceeds into my Roth IRA.

I have been very careful when funneling money to the IRA. You shouldn't brazenly post about it. You never know when one of the Brits on this forum might snitch on you because of your support for our comrades across the Atlantic.
  |    | 

Desh

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 11:23:07 AM »
I almost wish this hobby wasn't so popular these days.  There are a few great games that I would love to own but, never will because I can't bring myself to spend the big dollars. 

I like collecting games that I love and will play.  Unfortunately, I am finding myself buying up everything on my "want list" as fast as I can for fear I will not be able to afford them in a couple of years.  This has caused a major backup on my "play list".  I just can't start another game until I've completed the previous game.

I once was a super collectard who wanted a full NES set just to say I had all of them.  Over the past year I have gone through all of my items for every console and purged everything I have no interest in playing.  For example, I went from a little over 500 NES games down to about 150 or so.  I know 150 is still a lot but I feel they are the best and most fun games in the library.  I could pick any one up at any time and enjoy a play through.

Now it's not to say I am still not collectarded in many ways.  I refuse to buy loose Genesis games (why would you ever throw away the nice clamshell?)  and I have a hard time buying something unless it's in good condition (I like nice crap).  I am officially a boxed console nut.  I have 1 CIB copy for almost every console I own and one I play on (usually modded).  I also still have pretty large libraries for a few consoles but again I feel that the games I own are the best of the best.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:25:36 AM by Desh »

Gentlegamer

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »
The post is completely serious.

He got upset when I called him 'collectard.'

Is this that Needler guy who has like 6 different collectarding threads running on sega-16?

It's not from Sega-16.

jeffhlewis

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 01:54:03 PM »
Now it's not to say I am still not collectarded in many ways.  I refuse to buy loose Genesis games (why would you ever throw away the nice clamshell?)  and I have a hard time buying something unless it's in good condition (I like nice crap).  I am officially a boxed console nut.  I have 1 CIB copy for almost every console I own and one I play on (usually modded).  I also still have pretty large libraries for a few consoles but again I feel that the games I own are the best of the best.

Hey, I'm with ya. I'm a stickler for CIB - 99% of my collection is. I don't think there's any shame in having standards for the items you love!

HailingTheThings

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 03:43:16 PM »
. . .but it may "take a long time to get there".

dickhole... :lol:

That's what sh-she...said?

Gypsy

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 04:02:10 PM »
On a side note, Someone who came over to play my games, got mad that I have everdrives and only a few Nintendo games (mostly from my childhood, and A few I really love and wanted physical copies)  Literally got upset and said "how dare you call yourself a collector"   I pointed out I'm an enthusiast who likes playing games. 

That person sounds like a real asshat.  Reminds me of a guy who came out to a Neo-Geo meet-up one time, and threw a fit because someone else had brought some burned Dreamcast games.  I wasn't at that meet-up, but he has been banned from all future get-togethers.

Yeah this is pretty dumb and the guy sounds like quite the douche. If anything, you take burned games to avoid potential theft.

The post is completely serious.

He got upset when I called him 'collectard.'

Is this that Needler guy who has like 6 different collectarding threads running on sega-16?

It's not from Sega-16.

Perchance a link to this masterpiece fine sir?

Edit: This reminds me, I am purging some Dreamcast games. It was a tough decision for my collectard ass but they are going to a good home (element).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:07:40 PM by Gypsy »

mickcris

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 04:58:43 PM »
There is a large portion of the forum where the quote in the op came from, that would buy a turd in a box as long as it was a numbered exclusive release.

esteban

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 11:16:44 PM »

There is a large portion of the forum where the quote in the op came from, that would buy a turd in a box as long as it was a numbered exclusive release.

Is that limited edition fecal matter? TAKE MY $$$$ NOW!

brought to you buy. Buy. Buy. bye.com
  |    | 

MrBroadway

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 01:42:42 AM »
NintendoAge or one of its hellish offspring (i.e. SegaAge, PlayStationCollecting)?

Black Tiger

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 04:48:44 AM »

You mean like that NES homebrew with random assortments of collectible magnets?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

bartre

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 11:43:14 AM »
I'm sure a lot of you looked at my sales thread.

after letting it sit here and another good forum for a few days, I upped all the prices and posted it on nintendoAge.
needless to say, I'm almost cleaned out on SNES stuff.....

what really got me though is the sheer number of messages I got, even multiple messages from the same person, usually something along the lines of:
"I'd like game 'xxx', can I see pics, and will you take (1/2 of the list price)?"
"I'd also like game 'yyy', do you do discounts on multiple games?"
"I looked at your thread again, and I see the pictures now, how about (5/8 of the list price)?"

and when I told them that i didn't have that much wiggle room, they gladly paid up
so people were falling over themselves to buy common shit, like yoshi's island.
I dunno man, I can't stand people most of the time.

Jeff - I had 'the look' all day dealing with that forum.

vmorr

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 01:31:42 PM »

so people were falling over themselves to buy common shit, like yoshi's island.
I dunno man, I can't stand people most of the time.

I've been clearing some of my N64 stuff because of this (and recent auto part purchases). Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong 64, the Pokemon Stadium's... People are going nuts for these titles and are willing to pay even though they're essentially everywhere. I enjoy these games but at the rates they're currently going for, I'd much rather sell to buy other obscure games that I want to play. N64 is probably what I'm least attached to, but I'm considering trimming down my popular NES, SNES, and Genesis stuff too. Being that they're really nothing special to me, I'll have no problem sticking these games on an EverDrive in the future if I feel like playing them again. Too many people are focused on collecting rather than playing, and there are a ton of people taking advantage of that right now.

SuperGrafx

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 02:42:32 PM »
At the end of the day, all hobbies have their version of collectards.  Whether its games, coins, Pokémon, paper currency or classic cars, there will always be someone who is solely in it for the monetary aspect.