Author Topic: 'Collectards' and the state of the classic gaming hobby  (Read 2576 times)

wildfruit

Re: 'Collectards' and the state of the classic gaming hobby
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2015, 07:06:53 AM »
I confess i like holding physical copies of games. 99% of what i have is because i like it but i must admit i have made the odd cheap purchase just for the sake of it. ofI have a threshold of £50 though new or old if it's more it doesn't get bought.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2015, 08:11:28 AM »
I don't think that preferring physical copies of your games in any way makes you a "collectard", and I don't think that anyone is suggesting otherwise.  Buying games *purely* for shelf-candy is what makes you a collectard.  Just about every game that I own, I have for a reason.  Usually because I like playing it, sometimes it's because it has some historic significance or sentimental value.  But having shit just because it's "teh rarez"?  GTFO.

I used to have a LOT more games.  And I am so much happier now with a slimmed-down, but more meaningful collection/library.

Otaking

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2015, 08:17:26 AM »
I have a threshold of £50 though new or old if it's more it doesn't get bought.

But to get a copy of Dracula X would require more than £50 and that game is utterly essential if you're a PC Engine fan, would you not break your rule for that game?

wildfruit

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2015, 08:19:33 AM »

But to get a copy of Dracula X would require more than £50 and that game is utterly essential if you're a PC Engine fan, would you not break your rule for that game?
Totally would. I would break for chi no rondo.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2015, 08:22:33 AM »
Just about all of us are at least mildly collectarded.  I know I am, as you gotta be pretty 'special' to drop coin on a IllustBooster / PrintBooster/ PhotoReader set.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2015, 10:53:57 AM »

Just about all of us are at least mildly collectarded.  I know I am, as you gotta be pretty 'special' to drop coin on a IllustBooster / PrintBooster/ PhotoReader set.

The Artist Tool trio has been very good for encouraging your inner artist to blossom. NOW SHARE SOME MORE ART WITH US!
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2015, 11:10:28 AM »
There's only one TurboDoodler!

Even if I had the skills, a bucket of old, broken crayons is a much better tool for the job.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Gentlegamer

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2015, 12:06:50 PM »

I bought mine for $80 so that's doable.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2015, 02:21:09 PM »
Quote from: Otaking
I gpt mine from the Wii virtual console. Am I in the cool guys club now?

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

HailingTheThings

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2015, 07:35:31 PM »
Quote from: Otaking
I gpt mine from the Wii virtual console. Am I in the cool guys club now?

Not only that, but you're in the "I have more pocket change than whoever bought this game" club. Yay!

MrBroadway

« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2015, 07:55:13 PM »

I *wish* they were $80 now. I'm waiting until it gets back down to the lower 100s. The current $130-$140 (and higher sometimes!) is just too much.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2015, 08:26:27 PM »

I *wish* they were $80 now. I'm waiting until it gets back down to the lower 100s. The current $130-$140 (and higher sometimes!) is just too much.
Just a suggestion, try to get it in a lot. I managed to get mine and 6 other or so games for about $90 a few years back. In fact, any expensive or "rare" game you usually can get a small price break on in a lot.. As for me, I'll try to get it as cheap as possible. Repros don't bother me too much as long as there isn't a whole lot of drama attached to them (Tobias, translations, etc.) though I only own two lol.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2015, 09:45:26 PM »

I bought it last summer. On Nintendo Age(!)

Otaking

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2015, 07:00:32 AM »

I bought it last summer. On Nintendo Age(!)
I think $80 was a lucky deal, I don't think anyone else looking to buy a copy in 2015 could expect to pay that price.

bartre

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »
posted some Genesis titles on a fb group, thought this guy needed to get posted here: