Author Topic: Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana PS4 & Vita  (Read 11259 times)

NightWolve

Re: Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana PS4 & Vita
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2017, 04:09:49 PM »
Yep, the retranslation was headed up by Alan Costa, the guy you might've seen next to Falcom's president acting as interpreter last summer at all those events when he visited the US.

They have an update blog which just reported they finished rewriting the script 100% and now need to get the voice actors to return for recording.

https://nisamerica.com/blog/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-localization-update-0

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »
Now that my wife has beat the game, & I'm getting near the end!  Oh well, maybe someyear I'll play thru it again, it's a looooong game, especially for Ys.  Really stinkin' fun, wife didn't want the game to end!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2017, 02:14:03 AM »
Ehhh I kinda think it was blown a little out of proportion.  Most people seem to think the script wasn't that bad. 

Yes and no.  A machine translated game is perfectly playable and far better than nothing, but Ys deserves better, especially when they're being paid well to do the job.  Apparently Falcom agrees, as it's them that pushed for the retranslation; NISA would've gladly saved the money and kept the half-assed work they're known for and proud of.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

turboswimbz

« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2017, 04:35:58 AM »
Ehhh I kinda think it was blown a little out of proportion.  Most people seem to think the script wasn't that bad. 

Yes and no.  A machine translated game is perfectly playable and far better than nothing, but Ys deserves better, especially when they're being paid well to do the job.  Apparently Falcom agrees, as it's them that pushed for the retranslation; NISA would've gladly saved the money and kept the half-assed work they're known for and proud of.

Agreed!!!  They didn't f*ck up any worse than normal, and the game was playable.   Should it have been better? Yes.  What I was specifically referring to was that I don't understand why people are taking this like they were personally wronged.   

I am personally glad to see Falcom pushing for a better game. I hope I get to play through this sometime early in 2018 though.  Seems like the response to the game-play and story are overwhelmingly positive.  Falcom games are some of the few games I get excited play these days...   
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2017, 05:01:22 AM »
I think most of the peeps taking it personally are because of the PC pre-order.  They kept taking orders up to a few hours before launch, knowing full well that it wasn't even close to ready and having no intention of filling those orders for months to come, then keeping mum on progress for a month before admitting how much they'd f*cked up.  That's not how you treat customers.

I'm also happy that it's such a good game, even with NISA doing their best to f*ck it up.  Falcom knows how to make some great stuff.

turboswimbz

« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2017, 07:38:04 AM »
I think... That's not how you treat customers.

Well I get that since I pre-ordered it hours before the announcement it was being held up.  This is why I rarely pre-order things. I guess I am just kinda forgiving not willing to get upset for the fact that I don't trust any company and expect most of them to try to screw people over for a profit.

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

seieienbu

« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2017, 07:36:39 PM »
I finally got around to starting this game.  I'm playing it on PS4 and I'm about 3 bosses in.  I like it more than I liked Ys 7 (never played the 4 remake) but I'm enjoying it substantially less than I liked 6 and Felghana.  Either way, I'm looking forward to getting some more time with it this weekend.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NightWolve

« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2017, 11:03:29 PM »
Hm, I think you should wait for the re-translation patch since it's right around the corner and not spoil the experience. You may not feel like playing it a second time after its release if you finish it now under the inferior translation.

seieienbu

« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2017, 08:25:52 AM »
I guess I can put it off a little bit longer. :lol:

Is the original translation really that bad?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

turboswimbz

« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2017, 08:58:47 AM »
I guess I can put it off a little bit longer. :lol:

Is the original translation really that bad?

The best review I read went something like this:

It's a machine direct translate and that's about it. Leaving most of the "emotion of dialogue"  out of the translation, thus hurting the story and making it feel odd and bland in several spots.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2018, 01:43:02 AM »
http://www.nisamerica.com/sites/default/files/Ricotta%20Audio.mp3

A cute sample from NISA's Ys VIII revision blog, which they've stopped updating.  The last post was 12/21 when they said they'd skip a week for the holidays and be back on 1/4, but nothing yet.

Johnpv

« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2018, 12:46:45 PM »
I saw on another board that they announced the patch and the PC version are supposedly both coming on January 30th.

KingDrool

« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2018, 02:26:39 AM »
Nintendo just announced that it's coming to Switch this summer.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2018, 02:37:26 AM »
I saw that.  I think the Switch is an overpriced POS, but kudos to Falcom for sticking it to the Sony asshats.

xelement5x

« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2018, 04:28:10 AM »
I wonder if that means NISA will make more limited editions for the Switch release then.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story