Author Topic: Limited Run Games  (Read 24462 times)

Medic_wheat

Re: Limited Run Games
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2016, 10:49:59 AM »
I thought they took the whole limited angle due to cost from Sony to makes the physical games that are up front.  Along with the cost of obtaining the rights to distribute the game from who ever owns the IP rights for these Indy games.

I'm sure that was an issue to start, but they had to have made enough profits off the first release or two to pay for larger print runs now.

On their Twiter they said hey have 32 games planed to come out. Granted they give each platform as a delegate release even if it is the same game.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2016, 10:59:03 AM »
What's your point?  Having agreements with IP holders doesn't mean that LRG has already paid them for the distribution rights or paid Sony for production.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

wiseau

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2016, 03:19:40 PM »
I can't pat LRG too hard on the back, seeing as they're intentionally limiting production numbers to feed the collectard mindset.  I understand not wanting a warehouse full of unsold stock, but surely there's a middle ground between that and selling out within minutes, but they're worried that most current buyers won't buy at all if the production numbers were less constricted.
They're right to worry, most of the games they publish are trash and they know it. Pretty much the only thing they have going for them right now is the artificial demand from their insanely low production numbers, and if 7.3k copies of oddworld for the PS4/vita was enough to seriously drain their coffers, they don't have much.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:27:30 PM by wiseau »

Medic_wheat

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2016, 03:25:22 PM »
What's your point?  Having agreements with IP holders doesn't mean that LRG has already paid them for the distribution rights or paid Sony for production.

Ah. I had thought they had already secured the rights by paying for them. I do not know how this aspect of the video game industry works. It's mostly speculation and conjecture on my part.

bartre

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2016, 10:58:50 AM »
Generally terrible, but I was able to take advantage of a store that did that by getting complete PSP games for dirt cheap. Gamecube as well previously but Gamestop recently raised their Gamecube prices (due to their retro nonsense).

oh no, they're not in the business of cheap.
I do occasionally trade them some garbage for more than I could sell it for, IF I could sell it.
that's the only time i buy from them really.

Gypsy

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2016, 11:26:02 AM »
Generally terrible, but I was able to take advantage of a store that did that by getting complete PSP games for dirt cheap. Gamecube as well previously but Gamestop recently raised their Gamecube prices (due to their retro nonsense).

oh no, they're not in the business of cheap.
I do occasionally trade them some garbage for more than I could sell it for, IF I could sell it.
that's the only time i buy from them really.

Ah so they only price against Gamestop on newer stuff. Well that's just entirely terrible then.

What some of the really high priced stores will offer for some stuff is nuts. I guess they can do that when they mark up $15 games (on ebay) to $70 (real example).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2016, 04:13:18 AM »
They're right to worry, most of the games they publish are trash and they know it.

I wouldn't go that far.  Breach & Clear is pretty much crap, but the rest get mediocre (Futuridium, Octodad, Saturday Morning RPG) to mostly positive reviews (Oddworld, Xeodrifter, Soldner X2).

They're not AAA gems, of course, but no reasonable person should expect that.  If the games were good enough to go toe to toe with the best, they'd have had a normal retail release already and been priced accordingly.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Gypsy

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2016, 04:21:34 AM »
They're right to worry, most of the games they publish are trash and they know it.

I wouldn't go that far.  Breach & Clear is pretty much crap, but the rest get mediocre (Futuridium, Octodad, Saturday Morning RPG) to mostly positive reviews (Oddworld, Xeodrifter, Soldner X2).

They're not AAA gems, of course, but no reasonable person should expect that.  If the games were good enough to go toe to toe with the best, they'd have had a normal retail release already and been priced accordingly.

Soldner looks pretty good to me. Hoping for Axiom Verge.

Punch

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2016, 04:24:05 AM »
I heard that they tried to get Yakuza 5 a physical release but sega refused. THANK GOD, because having a "limited run" release is the same as manna dropping from heaven to flippers and collectards' hands. I'd rather not have Yakuza 5 because it only exists on PSN than not have it because copies would be gone in a quarter of second and only available at a 300% markup from an ebay seller.

Let's not fool ourselves here, their market strategy is to sell at an absurdly low quantity so they'll all be gone no matter what's pressed on the disc. They are definitely not interested in selling a normal quantity of discs at retail, and no, they're not about "giving to the community", lol. Hell, look at their name.

Gypsy

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2016, 04:28:23 AM »
I heard that they tried to get Yakuza 5 a physical release but sega refused. THANK GOD, because having a "limited run" release is the same as manna dropping from heaven to flippers and collectards' hands. I'd rather not have Yakuza 5 because it only exists on PSN than not have it because copies would be gone in a quarter of second and only available at a 300% markup from an ebay seller.

I greatly enjoy the Yakuza series, so much so that I bought the game digitally. I would have bought it again physically without a doubt if I could have secured one from LRG but you are completely correct about how that would have went.

Enternal

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2016, 06:49:19 AM »
Follow up to the Vita Walmart search, the one in my area that had 3 bundles is gone :(. My brother in Tallahassee is going to check his hopefully we can find 1 - 2 more to distribute.

Enternal

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2016, 02:20:24 AM »
Almost time for SÖLDNER-X

Medic_wheat

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2016, 03:02:56 AM »

That's the one I am waiting for. Sure that October dad is coming out tomorrow but it never interested me. Not even as a budget title.

However the marketing with Father's Day is pretty good. I have to give them creadit for that

Enternal

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2016, 03:17:07 AM »

That's the one I am waiting for. Sure that October dad is coming out tomorrow but it never interested me. Not even as a budget title.

However the marketing with Father's Day is pretty good. I have to give them creadit for that

...I mixed up July 18 with June 18 lol

But yea the Father's day marketing was good, I didnt even think about that.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2016, 07:55:23 PM »
I think I've decided to not bother getting up early to get Octo Dad.  It looks like it "might" be one of those fun quirky games that I "might" enjoy....but at the same time, it looks like a game I could end up absolutely hating & getting totally frustrated with!