Author Topic: Playstation kicked f*cking ass  (Read 2723 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Playstation kicked f*cking ass
« on: December 05, 2017, 05:30:00 AM »
Rather than keep clogging the N64 thread up with PSX memories

I made a thread.

Obvious games aside, there were some other sweet experiences.  hybrid heaven reminded me of two:

Broken Helix and Fade To Black.

F2B was a little doofy, but overall a pretty nice transition from 2d to 3d for that game.   I wish we'd gotten more of that setting.   

At least we got that remake a few years ago?

.. and it's on Dreamcast now?

how about TRAG.  Anyone else play that ?
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Gredler

Re: Playstation kicked f*cking ass
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 05:41:35 AM »
I got my PS1 from my first "job".

I used to hang out at my grandma's office in a business plaza when I was about 13 or 14, would do homework and play gameboy and just hang out. Her friend had a neighboring office in the plaza, and had a PC in there that she was supposed to load her hand written spreadsheets into excel, and would constantly ask me for help to how to "work the computer". I eventually started just loading the sheets for her; it was purely volunteer and I thought it was fun "working" and could use the PC to play games when there weren't spreadsheets to load (played a lot of Warcraft II and Diablo on it.)

One day I came into "work" and she had gotten me a PS1 with Suikoden as a thank you gift for my help, and I was blown away surprised. At first I was like wtf is this Suikoden business, but I guess she and my grandma went together and told the people which games I was playing in that timeframe (FFIII, Chrono Trigger, Diablo), and I guess the dude who worked there gave a great suggestion because I frigging loved that game, and from then on was playing way too much PS1 for my own good.

I had a great time with PS1, and could post a bunch more memories! FF Tactics?! GTFOH

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 05:47:20 AM »
Suikoden has more characters than N64 has FPS.

ayooooooooo

Gredler

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 06:26:44 AM »
I still remember mind blowing when I got to the large scale battles, and learning that all of those characters increased your army size and added more to do at your tower. Such a fun game, I regret never playing the second one.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 06:33:16 AM »
Go play it.

duhrrrr.

nopepper

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 06:50:38 AM »
I was going to respond in the other thread, but here goes:

3D platformers on the Playstation were great.   They were far better than the N64 games, because they played more like 2D games in that you were running through levels and not playing "grab all the shit" or "why is the camera being a cunt".

Spyro was one of the greatest 3D platforming experiences of growing up, I think.   

That game was just really well executed.

and Crash Bandicoot's halfbaked 3D was a great idea.  Instead of fighting with a camera and screaming alot, you just played basically a 2D platformer with a camera that scriptedly moved.

I did not include Crash in the 3D platformers, because as you indicated, it plays more like a 2D game. I have fond memories of going through Crash 2 with one of my best buddies while we were in college. Some of the platforming to get 100% was insane. I think we ended up 98% or something (lost the save years ago).

Klonoa was also very good, although I'd rather play the remake on the Wii than the murky looking original. Still looks great by PSX standards. Never got around to playing Pandemonium, but it was well received back in the day as one of the first 2.5D platformers.

The PSX was my system during that era, but by the time Spyro came out, I had already graduated and was in med school, so I never tried it. But I can name literally dozens of fun games that should appease any tastes.

Here are some of the "lesser" known favorites from my collection:

-Point Blanks (worth having a CRT for)
-Time Crisis (ditto)
-G Darius (not as good as Gaiden, but still great)
-Skullmonkeys (good little traditional platformer for the skilled with funny claymation)
-Raystorm (not as good as Layer Section, but still great)
-Wipeout XL (still the best WO IMO, with the N64 getting a remixed version [and worth checking out also])
-Castlevania Chronicles (essential)
-Strider 2 (essential as well)
-RTYpes
-Thunder Force V (Working Design's Spaz label was so awesome)
-You already mentioned SUikoden, which I prefer over FFVII, but there is also Vandal Hearts, which was a nice little SRPG that holds up great today.

One of the best systems ever. I still remember the excitement of playing stuff in real 3D for the first time, like Jumping Flash, Kings Field and Destruction Derby. Then, when the wave of Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Wild Arms, etc. hit, it was just hit after hit of new experiences. Some of those have not aged well, but it was mind blowing at the time.

The SMS and then Genesis made me a dedicated gamer, but the PSX turned me hard core for life.

Gredler

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 07:04:41 AM »
Go play it.

duhrrrr.

That's the 2018 plan - I want to get through the first one again before I play the second one so I can continue my save between the two.

I was able to land a cheap loose working copy of the second game, but I have been sitting on it as I procrastinate on starting the first game again.

I have been playing Xenogears on PS3 and vita, and want to finish that before starting another PS1 jrpg.

BTW, PS3 = the best PS1 ever. I love being able to transfer saves between vita and the PS3, and play on any TV in my house from the CRT, to the 1080p Plasma, to the 4k LED.

xelement5x

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »
YASSS!  Wipeout XL was my JAM! 

I played the snot out of that game and the Ghost in the Shell game, the soundtracks alone were awesome to listen to. 

Also have fond memories of Wild ARMs 1/2 and a lot of the earlier SQUARE titles. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

bob

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 07:40:22 AM »
Akuji The Heartless

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 08:02:10 AM »
Akuji The Heartless

Yeha dude, that is one of those "did anyone else play that?" games that you never hear brought up.

best 2.50$ I ever spent on a PS1 game probably.

Punch

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 08:25:05 AM »
There's so many great games and B-side gems that I can't understand how someone would dislike the PS1 except for sega/nintendo fanboyism. Or maybe just a general dislike for early 3D graphics, I don't know.

Gredler

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 08:30:10 AM »
There are definitely a lot of horribly looking and playing games, and a lot of the mainstream stuff was inferno level garbage; Croc and go eat dirt.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »
A lot of that early 3D looks so bad it's good now.

You get this new appreciation for what they were trying to visualize, now that we have reached the point where you see fancy ass 3D games.

jtucci31

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »
Go play it.

BTW, PS3 = the best PS1 ever. I love being able to transfer saves between vita and the PS3, and play on any TV in my house from the CRT, to the 1080p Plasma, to the 4k LED.
Is that easy to do? I played through all of FFVII on the Vita and that worked out really well. And I bought the PS1 version of FF VI because it was on sale and thought it might be cool to go back and forth.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 09:47:05 AM »
If you can find a memory card adapter, those rule too.

I was loading up my old saves onto my PS3 and backing em up onto the cloud and playing around on the PS3 with them.

That memory card reader kicks ass.

Now if only they'd make a gameshark adapter so I can really f*ck around.