Author Topic: Super SD System 3  (Read 15529 times)

VmprHntrD

Re: Super SD System 3
« Reply #240 on: February 09, 2018, 08:17:57 AM »
There is when we're talking NeoGeo games.  Use a NeoGeo. :P  I have no interest in arcade cards because I have a couple arcade cabinets, one is a Neo Geo and I'd rather play on that.  Sure I could go cheap and easy and double dip with Switch $6 releases but haven't.

My sole interest in non-HuCard based stuff with the PCE would lie mostly with the CD/SCD games I used to own and to try a few beyond that.  It's another reason I'm not hard up entirely on the SSS3 because I was HuCard deprived in the 90s because the turbo chip library mostly sucked and now I have access to a PC Engine instead.  Just so much more to do there that I couldn't in the past.

CZroe

« Reply #241 on: February 09, 2018, 08:24:13 AM »
I’d agree except that most of us already have a Turbo ED that functions as a Super System Card.

Most of us already have a Duo or IFU, TED, Arcade Card, and/or RGB mod and upscaler too, so what's your point?  I seriously doubt that most people buying these things are new to PCE or have been using only a base system for years.
That is my point. :) The cost of a buying another Turbo Everdrive is irrelevant for someone who already has a Turbo Everdrive which brings the UGX-02 a bit closer to the SSDSys3 with that crowd and makes DVI/HDMI the deciding factor by an even larger margin.

The SNK fighters and Majong games constitute more than half of the Arcade Card exclusives and there are superior platforms for that stuff anyway.

The SNK games are just under half of the Arcade Card library (5 out of 12, and 1 of those 5 is the sole mahjong game), and there's no such thing as a "superior platform" to the PCE.  :P
Good point. :) PCE obviously does it better! ;)

Was accidentally inflating the mahjong count with some of the Arcade Card enhanced titles that don’t actually require it:
Mahjong Sword Princess Quest Gaiden
Sexy Idol Mahjong Fashion Monogatari
Super Real Mahjong P II & III Custom
Super Real Mahjong P V Custom

Black Tiger

« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2018, 08:36:26 AM »
That Mahjong game is also an arcade/RPG style Neo Geo port that is supposed to add a lot over the original version(s).
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

broken

« Reply #243 on: February 09, 2018, 09:37:41 AM »
Hey, man. Did you ever make a video about SSDSys3? I’ve been waiting for it to pop up but haven’t seen it even though I have seen vague references to “Todd’s review.”

Not yet. I am waiting for my revised board.

Review will probably be up in about 2 weeks or less.

Edit: Ohh, and for anyone who has seen it already:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?273291-PCE-Super-SD-System-3-Terraonion-New-Product-(Dec-2017)&p=4272113&viewfull=1#post4272113
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:53:08 AM by broken »

Purple1308

« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2018, 07:08:15 PM »
So all this thing does is play cd games from flash?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

SavagePencil

« Reply #245 on: February 10, 2018, 05:49:29 AM »
It plays CD games, plays HuCard games, emulates System cards, and has RGB out.

broken

« Reply #246 on: February 15, 2018, 02:19:04 AM »
Cross post from NG.com

I received the revised PCB for the SSDS3 from TerraOnion and put together this little quick video showing off the difference between the original and the revised board. My PCB is hand soldered rather than factory soldered, so that's how they were able to get it to me so quick.

My full in depth video will be posted next week.

Purple1308

« Reply #247 on: February 21, 2018, 12:44:33 PM »
Thanks i was wondering what this did

Black Tiger

« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »

It also allows unlimited copies of games saves as either traditional save banks or per game.

Purple1308

« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »

It also allows unlimited copies of games saves as either traditional save banks or per game.
So do still use a system card for it

Black Tiger

« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2018, 03:03:47 PM »
You just set the system card rom of your choice in options menu. It plays CD games without anything in the HuCard slot.

broken

« Reply #251 on: February 23, 2018, 01:40:48 AM »
My review of the Super SD System 3 is out!

Black Tiger

« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2018, 07:06:39 AM »
Here's what I posted in the neo-geo.com forums:

I waited until now to post about my initial experience with the PCE Super SD System 3, because I wanted to have something factual to present, to discourage people from reporting problems that are likely not the result of the SSS3 itself.

When I first went to try out my SSS3 I was surprised to find that I don't have or have misplaced official power supplies for my white PC Engine, SuperGrafx and TurboGrafx-16. So I used one of those modern cheap Sega Genesis/SMS and NES 2-in-1 power supplies with my white PC Engine and SSS3. I also could only find csync Genesis/Mega Drive 2 scart cables with audio left/right breakout (by retrogamingcables).

I wound up with a worse version of the kind of lines and static that seemed to be the issue with the old board. Behind the lines was a color correct nice RGB image though. My PC Engine has an internal RGB mod and using that output produced a perfect picture. I didn't post about it here or anywhere, because I wasn't using a stock power supply and the audio breakout on the cable might also be a contributing factor.

Today I finally had time to find an official SMS power supply and using it with the same setup, all of the visual noise/static and strong lines are already gone. There is only faint diagonal jailbars, the kind you typically find with stock RGB for 240p consoles which actually output RGB without mods.

So I'm still not using the correct power supply and not the ideal scart cable, but the picture quality is already as good as or better than typical console stock RGB quality and much better than PC Engine RGB mods by people like doujindance.

I'm sure that there are still going to be people posting complaints online, saying that the RGB issue hasn't been fixed, neglecting to mention that they're using random power supplies or RGB cables. When I finish putting together an overview video of the SSS3, I'm going to include an uncut segment showing what happens when using a substitute power supply and then switch to an official one.

Everything else about it works great. I recommend unchecking "Boot To Last Game" until the In-Game Trigger is fixed (if it isn't already). I'm not making separate folders for games sorted by letter or favorites or anything. Navigation is so fast that it's not necessary.

FX Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine works fine, but for some reason the redbook audio even at the lowest volumes, has some kind of reverb distortion, as though the volume is cranked all the way. Maybe ripping the pressed disc will produce something different? All ripped CD games I've tried so far, even mp3-to-wav conversions, sound normal.

This product is a dream come true and I can't wait till I've finish converting the rest of my mp3 isos to wav and loading the complete set onto the 256GB card I bought for it.

Thanks a lot Terraonion. :)

nectarsis

« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2018, 07:14:03 AM »
This is looking more and more tempting...
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Gypsy

« Reply #254 on: March 17, 2018, 07:15:39 AM »
Nice, great to read.