Author Topic: Super Nt  (Read 3382 times)

Medic_wheat

Re: Super Nt
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 01:44:50 AM »
I have a Retron 5 and the Snes game that play in it have lag. 

I'd be up for buying one of these systems and a flash/everdrive cart to go with it, but I'm concerned that if I dropped all that money, would I get the same lag experience as the Retron5?

Has anyone noticed any lag just using the flash/everdrive cart on the original hardware?

https://youtu.be/d_OW_t9RXEM

https://youtu.be/LOSQgBEf5ac

This should answer your questions.

schweaty

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 03:32:13 AM »
Speak of the devil and he shall appear.  Jailbroken

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak/blob/master/README.md

Edit:  did this last night and it seems to work fine
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:53:04 AM by schweaty »

Johnpv

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »

I'd be up for buying one of these systems and a flash/everdrive cart to go with it, but I'm concerned that if I dropped all that money, would I get the same lag experience as the Retron5?

Has anyone noticed any lag just using the flash/everdrive cart on the original hardware?

You won't have that kind of lag on this.  The only lag you'll experience with this is going to be what ever your tv that you're playing it on has. 

CZroe

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 01:00:32 PM »
SNES + OSSC is notorious for not being compatible with every TV. This is because of the SNES’ 60.09 refresh rate and the OSSC not being equipped to correct it. The Super Nt deals with this using a frame buffer or by changing the speed of the SNES for exactly 60.00hz output (user’s option). The SNES in particular needed something like this and Kevtris/Analogue gave it to us.

At the expense of lag. I know its not a big deal, but a deal nevertheless.

I'm sure the Super Nt is a banging machine, just wanted to point out the $30 shipping shock that I'm sure will catch potential buyers off guard, plus mention an alternative.

Thankfully, I've not experienced any issues with any of my tvs/monitors and the OSSC/SNES combo, even on 5X.
“At the expense of lag...”
...or perfect speed. By running it at exactly 60hz instead it doesn’t have to buffer a frame but the entire game will run about 0.085% slower. Inputs will still be detected with frame-accuracy and rendered just as fast, barring your display’s latency.

With an original game and controller the only lag will be up to 1 frame (full frame buffer) and whatever your TV introduces. Even with the laggiest frame buffer setting it will average a half-frame of lag, max out at 1 frame, and spend as much time at 0 frames of lag (not even a partial frame). It’s safe to say that it beats the pants off an emulator box where an OS has to read your controller inputs and then software has to translate it for emulation that is processed in batches.

When you consider the Hi Def NES kit is $125 and you have to install it yourself, this is a pretty good deal.  It's the same FPGA programmed by the same guy.  For an extra $65, they are giving you a pretty well made console, product support, returns if necessary, and you don't have to install it. 

I think they have hit a sweet spot with this console that will give them the capital they need to make more consoles in the future.  I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a Genesis in the works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The company has made comment of blast processing in their tweets.

As has Kevtris being sega fan and his desire for blast processing.

Yes they have hit a sweet spot IMO.

Not cheaply made kit

Not overly expensive kit

Right in the middle

It is my assertion Analouge will

Re-entroduce their CMVS as a FPGA with HDMI options.

Re-entroduce the Nt mini with plastic shell

I’d like to see a Genesis FPGA with interval 32X to avoid that gaudy attachment. And Sega CD support as either an external attachment cd drive or to be read off a sd card.
Kevin didn’t sound too keen on Sega CD in a recent stream/interview. :(

A few days ago I was also wondering about an FPGA AES/MVS from Analogue and it got me thinking about the logistics of handling that many pins from that many busses that go through the cartridge connector. My guess it that it would probably take multiple FPGAs or FPGA + Z80 and other chips (Z80 is used for sound and it’s ROM addresses are not addressable by the main CPU at all). That said, Kevtris already uses an FPGA to replace a Z80 in a medical product that he gets paid royalties for, so I take it that Analogue isn’t going to find a bunch or originals around anyway. Back to the multi FPGA concept then!

If any device can justify more than one $50 component, it’s an FPGA AES or Analogue MVS. Because they’ve already done CMVS systems I’d like to see an AES or dual MVS/AES. AES is more marketable than ever now that flash carts exist, Nt something tells me that an FPGA Neo Geo from Analogue wouldn’t need it anyway. ;)

crazydean

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 01:44:33 PM »
They won't hit the sweet spot until they add an sdcard port.

it has one, but right now its only for firmware updates.  i give it 6 months before kevtris releases a jailbreak or someone else does it.
Speak of the devil and he shall appear.  Jailbroken

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak/blob/master/README.md

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Pretty crazy. If they ever get chip support, this will render flash carts useless. Of course, it’s nearly the same price as the SD2SNES to boot.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

Flare65

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 02:15:20 PM »
Let me add this up...

$200 for the console
$30 shipping (from what I was told)
$30 for a blutooth controller
$200 for a SD2SNES cart.  (Still need to find a rom set)

Am I missing anything else?  This is just getting a bit to pricey for my taste.

TR0N

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 04:19:24 PM »
Let me add this up...

Less if you go with a super everdrive,just saying.Also the,8bitdo controllers are not a must it can use regular snes/sfc controllers if you want to.Though i agree it adds up if you don't have it all ready.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:26:44 PM by TR0N »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

nopepper

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 11:47:42 PM »
Let me add this up...

$200 for the console
$30 shipping (from what I was told)
$30 for a blutooth controller

Look a couple of posts above for info on firmware that allows you to play ROMs from the SD card, thus making the SD2SNES redundant.

The console itself is $220 including shipping, and as TRON indicated, you can use any SNES compatible controller instead of the 8bitdo, although their wireless dongle and controllers are highly recommended (I use their dongle in a real NES and SNES coupled with a Wii Classic Controller).

Medic_wheat

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2018, 07:12:30 AM »
Another thing I haven’t thought about to much is that a GBA player with HDMI is bound tk be made as well.

CZroe

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »
Anyone having trouble with unintended diagonal inputs on the matching 8bitdo controllers, it’s caused by the pivot nub under the D-Pad being slightly too small. It’s the same problem the NES Classic Edition had, so the fix is the same too:
https://youtu.be/gO9w1uzgZvI

My twin brother clearly knows how to stress a D-pad with Panel de Pon / Tetris Attack. :)

It’s still not perfect but it’s MUCH closer to an original SNES controller and most will consider this a total fix.

Remember:
Nintendo couldn’t get this right with the NES Classic Edition and the SNES ASCII Pad had the same issue way back in the day, so let’s not act like 8bitdo needs to be held to a higher standard than Nintendo themselves (or their licensees). It’s a nit-pick-fix.

Another thing I haven’t thought about to much is that a GBA player with HDMI is bound tk be made as well.
Already exists. There are multiple GameCube HDMI solutions now that convert directly from digital RGB (no analog). Plug and play HDMI cables/dongles exist for the DOL-001 GameCubes but DOL-101 requires an internal modification.

Unfortunately, the GB Player Start Up disc is not adequate so you will need a way to boot GB Interface instead. You can do that using hard or soft-modded ‘cube or you can just buy a Datel SD Media Launcher.

Yes, you can soft-mod a ‘cube using an Action Replay if you have some way to write to a memory card, like a hacked Wii or another GC. Some setups require a 3rd party memory card to install the loader due to protections.

crazydean

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on that controller fix! I just got one and kept having problems with Super Ghouls n Ghosts.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

CZroe

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2018, 05:36:33 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on that controller fix! I just got one and kept having problems with Super Ghouls n Ghosts.
No problem.

With more use it’s becoming increasingly clear that mine still isn’t 100% as good as an original SNES D-pad but it’s definitely a huge improvement. You can shim it with a piece of tape or adhesive paper label if it’s still not good enough for you.

CZroe

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 02:20:24 AM »
SNES + OSSC is notorious for not being compatible with every TV. This is because of the SNES’ 60.09 refresh rate and the OSSC not being equipped to correct it. The Super Nt deals with this using a frame buffer or by changing the speed of the SNES for exactly 60.00hz output (user’s option). The SNES in particular needed something like this and Kevtris/Analogue gave it to us.

At the expense of lag. I know its not a big deal, but a deal nevertheless.

I'm sure the Super Nt is a banging machine, just wanted to point out the $30 shipping shock that I'm sure will catch potential buyers off guard, plus mention an alternative.

Thankfully, I've not experienced any issues with any of my tvs/monitors and the OSSC/SNES combo, even on 5X.
Yes, but the lag in most modes ranges from none to 1 frame, averaging a half a frame. When it drops a frame latency resets to zero. In the default 60hz mode there shouldn’t be any additional latency because it does not have to buffer frames. No dropped frames or torn frames either.

To save on shipping my brother and I ordered together and I think it went just over $50. Problem is, we used Bank of America Visa debit card as payment and got hit with a ~$16 “foreign transaction fee.” Totally wiped out any savings.

Bank of America is obviously a US bank. Analogue does not identify as a foreign company and claims to be based in Seattle WA, USA. There is no indication on their site that there will be a foreign transaction. Because we were the first to see/report this, there was literally no way to avoid it. Of course, the bank can’t do anything about it because it genuinely was a foreign transaction (Causeway Bay, Hong Kong). Analogue really needs to tell future customers that payments are processed by a Hong Kong office so that they can chose their payment properly and avoid fees.

That said, I’m loving the Super Nt. :) Don’t regret it for a second!

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 02:26:46 AM »
I have a tough time justifying this if you already have a decent CRT and own the original system.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 04:10:57 AM »
I have a tough time justifying this if you already have a decent CRT and own the original system.

Everyone is different.

I bought it for the co via ve if travel and playing with friends who don’t have a crt. I have a crt. And a PVM. Can’t really take it while on the go. Or my expansive snes library.