Author Topic: Super Nt  (Read 3389 times)

CZroe

Re: Super Nt
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2018, 01:24:05 PM »
I have a tough time justifying this if you already have a decent CRT and own the original system.
Not me. Very satisfied with my purchase despite having a collection of very high-end CRTs and a SNES/SFC consoles of nearly every revision. The Super Nt is get’s a coveted spot next to the PS4 Pro on the big HT LCD rather than being relegated to the CRTs like the SNES consoles. :)

TDIRunner

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 03:02:26 AM »
I have a tough time justifying this if you already have a decent CRT and own the original system.

Everyone is different.

I bought it for the co via ve if travel and playing with friends who don’t have a crt. I have a crt. And a PVM. Can’t really take it while on the go. Or my expansive snes library.

For now, I'm sticking with my original SNES and CRT, but I'm glad something like this exists.  Everyday I give more thought to dropping the two TV game room setup in favor of converting all systems to be compatible with my HD TV.  Some of the smaller and more obscure systems might not ever get there, but it's nice knowing that I have some options for my favorite older gaming systems.  I'm not ready yet, but I can see myself one day retiring my original systems for something like the NT as long as the new systems do what they claim to do.  You won't ever see me using those cheap clone systems.  We are at the point now where all Nintendo systems have some reasonable way of outputting HDMI to newer TVs.  Hopefully we can get there with some of the other systems as well. 
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Opethian

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 03:15:35 AM »
The only market for this device I can see is that you for some reason only have a modern tv with HDMI to play on.

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

schweaty

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2018, 06:41:47 AM »

For now, I'm sticking with my original SNES and CRT, but I'm glad something like this exists.  Everyday I give more thought to dropping the two TV game room setup in favor of converting all systems to be compatible with my HD TV.  Some of the smaller and more obscure systems might not ever get there, but it's nice knowing that I have some options for my favorite older gaming systems.  I'm not ready yet, but I can see myself one day retiring my original systems for something like the NT as long as the new systems do what they claim to do.  You won't ever see me using those cheap clone systems.  We are at the point now where all Nintendo systems have some reasonable way of outputting HDMI to newer TVs.  Hopefully we can get there with some of the other systems as well.

Since I got my NT, I looked into transitioning to a single TV setup.  At this point every system I have is output via HDMI or Component video.  However, this doesn't mean it's all 1080p or even 720p.  It's a mix of those two plus 480p, 240p, and even 4k (Xbox one x & ps4 pro). 

I don't know much about external scalers (framemeister & OSSC) but I'm pretty sure no 4k out there is going to effectively handle all those types of signals. 

Im almost at the conclusion that the most economical solution is just stick with a tv that was around when the console was still in stores (probably towards the end of the console's life or just after).  For me, this means 3 TVs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

CZroe

Super Nt
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2018, 08:18:27 AM »
The only market for this device I can see is that you for some reason only have a modern tv with HDMI to play on.
You can’t see two posts above you? [emoji6]

Not me. Very satisfied with my purchase despite having a collection of very high-end CRTs and a SNES/SFC consoles of nearly every revision. The Super Nt is get’s [sic] a coveted spot next to the PS4 Pro on the big HT LCD rather than being relegated to the CRTs like the SNES consoles. [emoji4]
Did you consider that some people want it on a larger screen to share with friends and family? What about streamers with 60FPS 1080p HDMI-only capture devices?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:20:52 AM by CZroe »

TDIRunner

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2018, 09:17:11 AM »

Im almost at the conclusion that the most economical solution is just stick with a tv that was around when the console was still in stores (probably towards the end of the console's life or just after).  For me, this means 3 TVs

I know exactly what you mean, and at one time, I actually had 3 different TVs for that purpose, although only 2 were ever hooked up at once.  Unfortunately, I simply can't justify the space for that much stuff, so I got rid of one of the TVs and I've been using my 2 TV setup ever since. 

Sometimes I wish I had the room for the third TV, and sometimes I wish for the simplicity of having only 1 TV.  It just depends on my mood, but more often than not, I'm happy with the 2 that I have. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:21:43 AM by TDIRunner »
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

crazydean

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »
Yes, 3 TVs seems to be the ideal setup for now. However, even if everything was on a single TV, you still have like 10 systems in your living room.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

Black Tiger

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2018, 10:25:00 AM »
I have a laptop hooked to the hdtv in our living room. It plays everything we watch and is setup with many libraries of classic games. It also plays real PC Engine CD games. It can use much better controllers than SNES without adaptors or or mods or anything. It comes with us on trips and is convenient and portable. I paid as much as a Super Nt shipped for it several years ago.

It doesn't get relegated to crts either, but it sure would be nice if it could connect to one.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

schweaty

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2018, 11:18:44 AM »
Yes, 3 TVs seems to be the ideal setup for now. However, even if everything was on a single TV, you still have like 10 systems in your living room.
It would be 16 for me [emoji851] but I could make it work since it's mostly HDMI and like 6 component.  If my OLED didn't turn 240p into chocolate mess I may have given it a shot.  I didn't even try 480p.

crazydean

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2018, 05:15:49 PM »
It would be 16 for me [emoji851] but I could make it work since it's mostly HDMI and like 6 component.  If my OLED didn't turn 240p into chocolate mess I may have given it a shot.  I didn't even try 480p.

I guess some people don't really mind, but I don't want 16 systems in my living room. People who aren't gamers tend to think 16 is a lot. Also, when I have to buy a stand to put all of this stuff on and set it next to the TV, the wife isn't going to like that.

I'm hoping that one day, someone will combine a few of these consoles. Something like a Retron 5, but with FPGA instead of emulation would be great.

Also, for me, it'd be 11 systems.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2018, 02:40:46 AM »
You can’t actually play 16 consoles. You can display them and impress the easily impressed but you aren’t playing them. Just keeping them dusted is hard enough. I don’t see where the urge comes to make your living room look like a flop house for 7-11 employees where they all have to fight for the same screen.

Think of what it would mean to actually play all of these systems at least once in a month, the practical reality of that. When do you find 3DO times, when the PS3 is updating? It’s nonsense. A front.

Besides, real OGs know the coolest shit goes in the other direction, a setup totally dedicated to one single game. Like a Tron machine or someone’s $3000 Logitech racing setup. “I have fifteen systems collecting dust right now because I can only play them one at a time.” is just YouTube era wankery.

schweaty

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2018, 03:06:22 AM »
You can’t actually play 16 consoles. You can display them and impress the easily impressed but you aren’t playing them. Just keeping them dusted is hard enough. I don’t see where the urge comes to make your living room look like a flop house for 7-11 employees where they all have to fight for the same screen.

Think of what it would mean to actually play all of these systems at least once in a month, the practical reality of that. When do you find 3DO times, when the PS3 is updating? It’s nonsense. A front.

Besides, real OGs know the coolest shit goes in the other direction, a setup totally dedicated to one single game. Like a Tron machine or someone’s $3000 Logitech racing setup. “I have fifteen systems collecting dust right now because I can only play them one at a time.” is just YouTube era wankery.
Just to clear a few things up here, the consoles are not in my living room.  The wife would never let that happen.  She barely tolerates them all tucked way back in another room in the house where no one ever sees them.  And for the record, I don't have a 3DO or a YouTube channel.

For me, it's just a space saving thing.  All my consoles are connected all the time.  I can turn on the tv and press power on any console when the mood strikes.  I can't stand it when people say they leave their consoles on shelves and hook them up when they need them.  Bullshit.  Those consoles get played once a year at the most.

Arcade machines are awesome.  John's Arcade is probably my favorite YT channel.  I even have a Street Fighter II Dynamo HS-5 cab.  But they are also huuuuge and heavy.  For a guy who moves every 3 years, having a bunch of dedicated machines isn't going to happen. 

Im a fan of original hardware.  Sure I could have a raspberry pi with every game up to the year 2000 on it, but I just know I would never actually play it.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2018, 03:41:11 AM »
My consoles may stay packed up for months at a time but when I get them out they get played every day for weeks. The older you get the more consoles you accumulate and the less time each one gets in your day to the point where it becomes *extremely* unlikely that all of them will be used in less time than it takes for them to accumulate dust.

I learned all of this from experience back when I had like four consoles. By the time I’ve finished FFVI or gotten bored of a specific version of Street Fighter the unused systems looked it.

I mean, come on, you’re only using 1/16 of your system at any given time. You litterally have 16x what you can use. How huge is your SUV?

FYI: I don’t count my consoles but 16 sounds about right.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:48:43 AM by SignOfZeta »

Black Tiger

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2018, 03:50:14 AM »
If you're a fan of real hardware, then why are you using an Nt?

I understand that it's a luxurious gimmicky kind of thing that no one really "needs" to have. I have lots of superfluous game items myself. But people keep justifying it publicly with extreme reasons of either "real hardware is too inconvenient" or "I don't care about convenience".

Instead of saying nothing at all or simply "it's one more neat thing for me to blow money on". In other collector centric forums, lots of people brag about how many color variants of this thing they're going to collect.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

schweaty

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2018, 04:06:14 AM »

If you're a fan of real hardware, then why are you using an Nt?

Im also a picture quality whore.   I did the Hi Def NES mod and it's phenomenal.  When I heard this was coming at an economical price point (IMO) I knew I would get it.  This is the only "clone" system I have but for me, it's similar to the Everdrive in that it's an elegant form of emulation.  Been playing it almost exclusively since it arrived.

Zeta's right about these things just accumulating.  I never thought I would end up with all these systems.  I never planned to get them and I keep saying that's the last one.  [emoji848]