Author Topic: Xanadu Scenario II video is Up! (PC-88 Paradise)  (Read 6105 times)

kazekiri

• Basement Brothers
Re: Legend of Heroes III Video is Up! (PC-98 Paradise)
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2022, 06:25:16 PM »
Ever wondered how I became interested in old Japanese PC's? It was largely thanks to this game! Glad I was finally able to make a proper tribute video. Let's talk about the sequel to the two Dragonslayer games on the Turbo!

https://youtu.be/BUO8SNYNW3I

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2022, 01:32:00 AM »
Noice.  I've only played the PSP versions of the gagharv trilogy, so it's great seeing the earlier ones.  The PC-98 one is great, of course, and look like something that'd be at home on the PCE, but the uniqueness of the Saturn version has a certain charm too.

As always, 'twas a fun watch.  I hope you someday get tear of vermillion and song of the ocean.  :pcgs:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2022, 11:03:24 AM »
I'm on the lookout for the Saturn port (which is an entirely different game) but man those Hudson tunes and graphic style has my interest peeked!

kazekiri

• Basement Brothers
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2022, 08:43:53 PM »
Yep. Saturn version is super interesting. Thanks for watching, guys!

kazekiri

• Basement Brothers
Re: Fangsy (by Enix) Video is Up! (PC-88 Paradise)
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2022, 06:32:21 PM »
New video! You may know Enix for the Dragon Quest series, but did you know they also made a similar turn-based RPG on the NEC PC-88 in 1991? Watch to learn all about it!

https://youtu.be/k66dpvzn_KI

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2022, 09:52:06 AM »
Hahhah, I love the controller hookup part. That made me laugh. It's rare when a puzzling concoction like that works, and I'm glad you figured it out!

The game looks pretty cool too!

kazekiri

• Basement Brothers
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2022, 07:32:58 PM »
Hahhah, I love the controller hookup part. That made me laugh. It's rare when a puzzling concoction like that works, and I'm glad you figured it out!

The game looks pretty cool too!

Yep. I was surprised it worked. I was half expecting the PC-88 wouldn't be able to provide power to all of those devices through the keyboard port or something like that would prevent it from working.

JPEngine

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2022, 04:50:13 AM »
Great episode! Always love to see early Enix works.

Your entire PC-88 Paradise series really is fantastic. I can't quite bring myself to go down the retro PC collection rabbit hole, but each video nearly convinces me to. So grateful to be able to experience each of these pieces of gaming history vicariously through you!

kazekiri

• Basement Brothers
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2022, 08:18:13 PM »
Great episode! Always love to see early Enix works.

Your entire PC-88 Paradise series really is fantastic. I can't quite bring myself to go down the retro PC collection rabbit hole, but each video nearly convinces me to. So grateful to be able to experience each of these pieces of gaming history vicariously through you!

Thanks! So glad I can be of service. Feel free to continue living vicariously through me with each video. I'm gonna keep playing the games and making more!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2022, 01:40:54 AM »
Go to the hell, fucker!   :lol:

That was a fun episode.  It looks okay but sounds awesome, and I wish more games would let you move the torch around like that and eventually give you items that either last indefinitely or light the whole dungeon; it gets tedious buying tons of torches in games like Dragon Slayer 2.  Also, I loved your cable / adapter spaghetti; it ain't elegant, but if it works it works.

kazekiri

• Basement Brothers
Re: Legend of Heroes IV Video is Up! (PC-98 Paradise)
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2022, 06:12:31 PM »
Continuing The Legend of Heroes series on PC-98, here's "A Tear of Vermilion". The game was later remade on Windows and PSP. The original is completely different though, so let's see what was changed!

https://youtu.be/zrWBM0BWX4g

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2022, 02:03:06 AM »
I like how it looks (it ain't dated! .... said the guy that hasn't moved past PCE) and those FM and MIDI tunes are frickin' fantastic.  As a completionist goofball, I'd probably try to bang through all of the side quests and switch between team members to try and max them all out.   :pcgs:

JPEngine

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2022, 06:48:26 AM »
Fantastic episode, as usual! I don’t think I’d have the patience to play through the game myself, so I appreciate you doing the heavy lifting for folks like me :P

kazekiri

• Basement Brothers
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2022, 10:19:24 PM »
I like how it looks (it ain't dated! .... said the guy that hasn't moved past PCE) and those FM and MIDI tunes are frickin' fantastic.  As a completionist goofball, I'd probably try to bang through all of the side quests and switch between team members to try and max them all out.   :pcgs:

Of course I love the old school look of it too (or I wouldn't be making these videos), but man I gotta say it looks pretty old for 1996. I distinctly remember playing it in 2004 and saying, "Man I can't believe this is from 1996. It feels way older than that." But that being said, it's kind of a moot point when I already love playing games from way back in 1986 as well. As long as the game is fun and nice to look at (and listen too) it doesn't really matter when it was made, does it?

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2022, 08:20:16 AM »

Of course I love the old school look of it too (or I wouldn't be making these videos), but man I gotta say it looks pretty old for 1996. I distinctly remember playing it in 2004 and saying, "Man I can't believe this is from 1996. It feels way older than that." But that being said, it's kind of a moot point when I already love playing games from way back in 1986 as well. As long as the game is fun and nice to look at (and listen too) it doesn't really matter when it was made, does it?

Yeah, by '96 a lot of the gaming world was all about polygons and stuff, but I'm alot like Necro and never really moved past the 16-bit era of graphics, lol. I still thought Final Fantasy III (yeah, I know 6), and like Xanadu I&II looked brilliant back then.

This was a great episode, I look forward to the next one! <3