Author Topic: Incoming Virtual Console Turbo games  (Read 2046 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Incoming Virtual Console Turbo games
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 04:15:07 PM »
Quote from: Black_Tiger

Like I said, I played it on SMS, but still bought and played the other versions as well. The VC version is no different.

Oh it's quite different.  The other versions weren't the same exact ROM.  This is the same exact game as the TG-16 version, not programmed specifically for the Wii.  That's like downloading TG-16 ROMs on a PC to "try out the PC version of the game".  Your logic fails, but due to the comparisons that you'll be doing, I will forgive it.  :)

Well, I still feel great about my recent purchases of Sega Genesis Collection, Taito Classic 2 and Capcom Classics Collection Vol 2.

I don't see much difference between a VC version of a Turbo game and the PCE version. Is it pointless to buy imports and domestic versions?

With a ROM on a PC, you don't get the integrated VC game manuals. And I personally can't play games at a computer. The closest I come is using my Mame cabinet, which I rarely do.

You can't play real Turbo/PCE systems on many HD TV's. The VC games are worth it just to be able to play Turbo games in my living room in 480p on my LCD.

On VC, I can play games with wireless controls that actually work, unlike my infra red wireless PCE pads that are only good for RPG's.

Although save states are on PC emulators as well, it's still one more worthwhile feature VC games add to the original.

VC games, even in composite, look bright and vibrant. Not everyone has a video modded Turbo/PCE system.

And whether or not you consider the VC games programmed specifically for the Wii, the difference between the VC Turbo games and real Turbo games isn't far off of close ports between 16-bit consoles.

And in the case of at least Bomberman '93, it's not the exact ROM. It's been updated, for better or for worse.

Although I still think that they're overpriced in general, VC games still offer a lot over both Turbochips and computer ROMs.

No no I meant why pay for ROMS, not actual games.  I personally hate playing ROMS, I always buy the actual thing unless its something you have to play in ROM form (like english translated RPGs).  ROMS have no value and I would never pay for a bare bones emulated ROM since they are so freely available.  Even those overpriced NES Classics GBA releases were a better deal since at least you got something physical for the money (and Castlevania even had a save battery which made it at least somewhat worth it).

Owning a big game collection is fine, actual games are physical and have monetary value, hell you could probably sell your PCE collection and even make money off it, so its definitely not throwing your money away.

Do you think it's pointless to rent games? Because for the price of a rental you get to keep a VC Turbo game for good. Xbox Live charges for video clips and now sells temporary video files. Lots of people use pay per view in their homes. What's wrong with a permanent Turbo game on your Wii?

Remember that although you can find ROMs for free, it's only because someone copied them. Like a burned DVD movie. Carts are only a container, what you're paying for is the game.

I think that I could also sell a Wii loaded with VC games for more than one without any.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 04:22:23 PM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 04:57:20 PM »

You can't play real Turbo/PCE systems on many HD TV's.

Yes you can, it just looks like ass, that's all.

The VC games are worth it just to be able to play Turbo games in my living room in 480p on my LCD.

*cough* Xbox *cough* Media Center *cough* free *cough* 480p, 720p, 1080i *cough*

Damn I think I may have bronchitis or something!

esteban

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 03:44:40 AM »
No no I meant why pay for ROMS, not actual games.  I personally hate playing ROMS, I always buy the actual thing unless its something you have to play in ROM form (like english translated RPGs).  ROMS have no value and I would never pay for a bare bones emulated ROM since they are so freely available.  Even those overpriced NES Classics GBA releases were a better deal since at least you got something physical for the money (and Castlevania even had a save battery which made it at least somewhat worth it).

Owning a big game collection is fine, actual games are physical and have monetary value, hell you could probably sell your PCE collection and even make money off it, so its definitely not throwing your money away.

Do you think it's pointless to rent games? Because for the price of a rental you get to keep a VC Turbo game for good. Xbox Live charges for video clips and now sells temporary video files. Lots of people use pay per view in their homes. What's wrong with a permanent Turbo game on your Wii?

Remember that although you can find ROMs for free, it's only because someone copied them. Like a burned DVD movie. Carts are only a container, what you're paying for is the game.

I think that I could also sell a Wii loaded with VC games for more than one without any.
B_T, you made solid points, but I think GUTS and I both feel that purchasing ROMs or MP3's feels like we are being exploited / used / taken for fools. That is not to say that we don't engage in this activity ourselves (we do, on occasion). I think GUTS was saying that, in principle, owning a hardcopy trumps everything. As a consumer, we have much more power and freedom with a hardcopy. Backing up a ROM on a harddrive or flash drive is not as secure as a good old cart or CD.

Plus, we are prevented from re-selling our downloads (there was a famous legal case where a man tried to re-sell a song from iTunes...).

Personally, I agree with most of the stuff you said. It just irks me that we, as consumers, have not been able to maintain the rights we had with physical media into the new realm of downloads.
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 11:06:15 AM »

You can't play real Turbo/PCE systems on many HD TV's.

Yes you can, it just looks like ass, that's all.

No, I mean you can't play them. My LCD, like other HDTVs, can't upscale (or whatever) 240i fast enough, so the frame rate gets butchered. It drops to like 10 - 15 fps and isn't even consistent. The actual image doesn't look so bad and I wouldn't mind playing it at full speed .

The VC games are worth it just to be able to play Turbo games in my living room in 480p on my LCD.

*cough* Xbox *cough* Media Center *cough* free *cough* 480p, 720p, 1080i *cough*

Damn I think I may have bronchitis or something!

That was one of the advantages I giving the VC over TG-16 hardware not emulation. Like I said, I don't like playing games on a computer.

B_T, you made solid points, but I think GUTS and I both feel that purchasing ROMs or MP3's feels like we are being exploited / used / taken for fools. That is not to say that we don't engage in this activity ourselves (we do, on occasion). I think GUTS was saying that, in principle, owning a hardcopy trumps everything. As a consumer, we have much more power and freedom with a hardcopy. Backing up a ROM on a harddrive or flash drive is not as secure as a good old cart or CD.

Plus, we are prevented from re-selling our downloads (there was a famous legal case where a man tried to re-sell a song from iTunes...).

Personally, I agree with most of the stuff you said. It just irks me that we, as consumers, have not been able to maintain the rights we had with physical media into the new realm of downloads.

Owning a hardcopy does trump everything. That's why I have so many. It's not going to stop me from buying bonk stickers, posters or whatever else I can get. The VC games are official and are new versions with at least a small amount of exclusive content.

Bomberman '93's multiplayer gameplay has been totally changed and offers a new experience to people like myself who've played it to death.

You can resell your VC games with your Wii. It's not as much freedom as you had with your $50 hardcopies back in the day, but you're not 'supposed' to resell hardcopies either.

Mp3's aren't a ripoff for all the losers out there with no taste (as opposed to good or bad taste) who tune into TV and radio count down every week to find out what their new favorite pop songs are. Those people get ripped off when they buy a CD full of filler when all they care about is the song or two that are popular.

What is a rip off with iTunes is how you can only copy the song once or twice, unlike a regular mp3. Like I said before, Xbox Live Arcade and VC prices are a rip and VC games should be about $1. That doesn't mean that I can't look forward to an upcoming VC release.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 11:21:39 AM by Black_Tiger »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 11:54:26 AM »

My LCD, like other HDTVs, can't upscale (or whatever) 240i fast enough

Actually it's 240p.  I've never seen an HDTV handle 240p THAT badly.  Do you have one of those cheaper brands like a Samsung or a Realistic/Optimus TV or something?  Seriously, I've never heard of that.

That was one of the advantages I giving the VC over TG-16 hardware not emulation. Like I said, I don't like playing games on a computer.

I think you need to re-read my sentence that you are responding to.  First of all, VC is indeed emulation.  Second of all, I wasn't talking about the PC, I was talking about playing any damn game you want on the Xbox on your HDTV at your choice of resolutions, as it will play them just fine at 480p, 720p or 1080i.  Xbox Media Center is free and so are teh illegal ROMZ.  No mod-chip required.

esteban

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 01:42:50 PM »
Owning a hardcopy does trump everything. That's why I have so many. It's not going to stop me from buying bonk stickers, posters or whatever else I can get. The VC games are official and are new versions with at least a small amount of exclusive content.

Bomberman '93's multiplayer gameplay has been totally changed and offers a new experience to people like myself who've played it to death.

You can resell your VC games with your Wii. It's not as much freedom as you had with your $50 hardcopies back in the day, but you're not 'supposed' to resell hardcopies either.

Mp3's aren't a ripoff for all the losers out there with no taste (as opposed to good or bad taste) who tune into TV and radio count down every week to find out what their new favorite pop songs are. Those people get ripped off when they buy a CD full of filler when all they care about is the song or two that are popular.

What is a rip off with iTunes is how you can only copy the song once or twice, unlike a regular mp3. Like I said before, Xbox Live Arcade and VC prices are a rip and VC games should be about $1. That doesn't mean that I can't look forward to an upcoming VC release.
1. Hey! I didn't know you could re-sell VC downloads! Tell me about it, please. It seems Nintendo anticipated a market that other companies don't want to deal with... is there a "used VC marketplace" channel or something? That's pretty neat, and it has huge implications for the music / entertainment industry.

2. You're right, downloading the only two good tracks from an album is better than paying full price for an album! I never thought about that. I don't have too many albums like that... but over the years I've discovered that many of these so-called "garbage" tracks turn out to be great songs that I grow fond of at another point in time. I don't think I'm the average consumer of music, though, so your points stands.

3. As I said earlier, I totally understand why you support VC. I would do the same thing if I had a Wii right now. We love every facet of TG-16 :). I'd have mixed feelings over it, though. I felt the same way when I bought a bunch of GBA ports of Famicom games... "Why am I paying so much for a GBA port of a game I have?" The pricing is what I had an issue with, which seems to be another point we agree on, in general.

:)
  |    | 

FM-77

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 02:19:37 PM »
1. Hey! I didn't know you could re-sell VC downloads! Tell me about it, please. It seems Nintendo anticipated a market that other companies don't want to deal with... is there a "used VC marketplace" channel or something? That's pretty neat, and it has huge implications for the music / entertainment industry.

You can't sell the games per se, but if you sell your Wii without formatting its internal memory, the VC games you purchased will still be in the console unless you deleted them. THAT's the only way you can "sell" VC games, and that is not allowed (but who can stop you? Mwaah).

esteban

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 02:41:32 PM »

You can't sell the games per se, but if you sell your Wii without formatting its internal memory, the VC games you purchased will still be in the console unless you deleted them. THAT's the only way you can "sell" VC games, and that is not allowed (but who can stop you? Mwaah).
Oh, that's not what I was expecting :(. Thanks for clarifying the issue, though :).
  |    | 

Odonadon

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 03:12:21 PM »
So does anyone have any info on incoming Turbo games?  I checked Hudson's and Nintendo's sites and didn't' see any upcoming titles listed at all.  Anyone know anything official and/or dates?

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

akamichi

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 03:24:05 PM »
My random thoughts on VC...

I've had a Wii point card from day one.  Still haven't even redeemed the points yet.  I even thought of buying all the Turbo games and NES games I used to have.  There are even games on the VC that I want, but it would be just as easy for me (or perhaps even easier) to just buy the games used.  And in most cases cheaper than the VC price.  On one hand, I really want to buy VC stuff, but on the other hand, I think "why bother?".  Then I realized that VC isn't for "us"... not for the collectors or people who still play old school games (or never stopped playing the oldies). 

I think the potential of VC is great.  I just wish I could buy games from other regions.   

Keranu

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 04:38:01 PM »
You better use up your points unless you can get a refund on that card.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007, 12:32:27 AM »
Then I realized that VC isn't for "us"... not for the collectors or people who still play old school games (or never stopped playing the oldies). 

I think the potential of VC is great.  I just wish I could buy games from other regions.
Yes and yes and yes :).
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2007, 07:35:07 AM »

My LCD, like other HDTVs, can't upscale (or whatever) 240i fast enough

Actually it's 240p.  I've never seen an HDTV handle 240p THAT badly.  Do you have one of those cheaper brands like a Samsung or a Realistic/Optimus TV or something?  Seriously, I've never heard of that.

I thought that it was impossible for composite & S-Video to do progressive scan?

I do have a cheaper(not totally budget) brand, that I picked out because it has a better picture than the bigger more expensive brands. But even before I bought it, I asked a bunch of questions over at HDArcade and everyone kept telling me that most/all HDTV's can't handle retro console signals. I actually thought that they were exaggerating until I tried it myself.

I think you need to re-read my sentence that you are responding to.  First of all, VC is indeed emulation.  Second of all, I wasn't talking about the PC, I was talking about playing any damn game you want on the Xbox on your HDTV at your choice of resolutions, as it will play them just fine at 480p, 720p or 1080i.  Xbox Media Center is free and so are teh illegal ROMZ.  No mod-chip required.

As I said before, by emulation I was refering to homebrew/non-wii type stuff. I don't care how a classic game is ported, all I care about is the game itself. I like official retro sets and buy the ones with the games I like. But just like many homebrew emu type stuff has advantages over hardcopies, so does the Virtual Console.

I don't like Xbox d-pads either, even though there are work arounds. I do like the VC pad though. Like I said, I have a 'Mame cabinet', which is loaded with emu & roms for most consoles. But I'd rather play games classics on a cobsole with a pad.

But I'm not anti-illegal emulation, even though some people would argue that teh illegally shoplifted hardcopies are also free. But since when did it become so uncool to actually pay for officially released games?

On one hand, I really want to buy VC stuff, but on the other hand, I think "why bother?".  Then I realized that VC isn't for "us"... not for the collectors or people who still play old school games (or never stopped playing the oldies). 

Are you a Bomberman '93 fan? If so, then you owe it to yourself to buy the VC version. In multiplayer you can now kick bombs a space or two without any powerups. This is a huge change, since most people get killed by getting trapped between bombs.

The other thing, is that after you kick a bomb across the screen using the kick powerup, you can hit a button to detonate the bomb at any time, just like the heart power up. So instead of lobbing a bunch of bombs at someone and hoping that the timing happens to work out at some point, you can accurately take down opponents. This makes a big difference particularly when you get down to a one on one fight.

Its like an expert/hard type version of Bomberman '93.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 07:45:32 AM by Black_Tiger »

FM-77

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 07:42:51 AM »
I thought that it was impossible for composite & S-Video to do progressive scan?

Naw, it can definitely be done. Some games take use of interlaced mode, like Ys III Mega Drive (you can choose it in the options menu) but usually, progressive scan is used.

Black Tiger

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007, 07:47:38 AM »

Naw, it can definitely be done. Some games take use of interlaced mode, like Ys III Mega Drive (you can choose it in the options menu) but usually, progressive scan is used.

Even if thats true, will any TV even run progressive scan if it's receiving a signal through composite or S-Video?