Author Topic: Incoming Virtual Console Turbo games  (Read 2047 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: Incoming Virtual Console Turbo games
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2007, 12:45:16 PM »
Yes, all games for the NES, Genesis, TurboGrafx and SNES run in progressive scan on any standard CRT SDTV.  It's really easy to achieve.  All that is done is the flag that tells the TV to go to the next field is never sent, so it draws all 60 images per second on the same field.  That's why you can see the scan lines in those types of games.  If you look closely, you won't see any flicker like you would on an interlaced picture.  Some of the Sega Ages for the PS2 in Japan let you play the games in 240p mode (it is selectable).  Sonic 2's two-player screen is 480i, the only game that I know of from that generation to do that.  Virtua Fighter 1 for the Saturn (and Remix) are 240p, whereas Virtua Fighter 2 is 480i.  Check 'em out.

HDTVs usually interpret 240p as 480i.  There isn't any scaling involved, but it just interlaces the 240p anyway and then deinterlaces it and scales it to the TVs native resolution.  That's why I play all of my older systems on a CRT SDTV.

I've rented Ys 3 for the Genesis and it did not have an interlaced mode.  WTF?

FM-77

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2007, 01:36:44 PM »

You can choose it in the options menu. Makes the whole screen very blurry and flickery. Does not have any effect in emulators.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 01:40:26 PM by Seldane »

Black Tiger

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2007, 01:38:43 PM »
Yes, all games for the NES, Genesis, TurboGrafx and SNES run in progressive scan on any standard CRT SDTV.  It's really easy to achieve.  All that is done is the flag that tells the TV to go to the next field is never sent, so it draws all 60 images per second on the same field.  That's why you can see the scan lines in those types of games.  If you look closely, you won't see any flicker like you would on an interlaced picture.  Some of the Sega Ages for the PS2 in Japan let you play the games in 240p mode (it is selectable).  Sonic 2's two-player screen is 480i, the only game that I know of from that generation to do that.  Virtua Fighter 1 for the Saturn (and Remix) are 240p, whereas Virtua Fighter 2 is 480i.  Check 'em out.

HDTVs usually interpret 240p as 480i.  There isn't any scaling involved, but it just interlaces the 240p anyway and then deinterlaces it and scales it to the TVs native resolution.  That's why I play all of my older systems on a CRT SDTV.

That would make some of those transparency effects in games like Sonic make a lot more sense.

And why I never noticed those missing lines before modern retro sets.

So are component cables needed for 480p because of the bandwidth or something?

What happens when you play VF2 in RGB? Is the game/system programmed to change the signal when outputting in RGB?

So then when you play your Turbo-CD with component it's not really much better than my S-Video mod, -mainly just a little different?

And what's the use of the interlace mode in Ys III MD?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 01:40:53 PM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2007, 01:54:33 PM »

So are component cables needed for 480p because of the bandwidth or something?

Technically there isn't any reason why composite or s-video cables couldn't support 480p.  But no TV that I know of allows 480p to be input from those sources, and no source that I know of allows 480p to be output that way. 

What happens when you play VF2 in RGB? Is the game/system programmed to change the signal when outputting in RGB?

It plays in 480i.  Nothing is changed by the system.

So then when you play your Turbo-CD with component it's not really much better than my S-Video mod, -mainly just a little different?

S-video is still limited to NTSC color, which is very poor.  Component video is not.  With component video, the end result is the same as RGB, it just does it differently to save bandwidth and the TV does math to figure out what is green (the color green is not sent over component video).  This may seem bad, but it works very well.  As I've said elsewhere, it really does depend on your monitor.  S-video still has bleeding reds.  Component does not.  Also the colors seem a lot more "bold" for lack of a better word, and everything is a bit more crisp than s-video, which itself is loads better than composite.  An s-video mod for a Turbo/PC Engine must derive that from RGB, so your system probably has an amp built in for the RGB and then a chip to encode s-video.  That doesn't have much to do with what I'm saying except to say that getting RGB out of your system would be easier than most since the work is already done.

And what's the use of the interlace mode in Ys III MD?

I have no idea but I want to try it.

FM-77

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2007, 01:56:26 PM »
I don't know what the interlace mode is supposed to be good for. It makes my otherwise sharp RGB picture very blurry. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid so I'm not using it.

Black Tiger

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2007, 01:59:20 PM »
S-video is still limited to NTSC color, which is very poor.  Component video is not.  With component video, the end result is the same as RGB, it just does it differently to save bandwidth and the TV does math to figure out what is green (the color green is not sent over component video).  This may seem bad, but it works very well.  As I've said elsewhere, it really does depend on your monitor.  S-video still has bleeding reds.  Component does not.  Also the colors seem a lot more "bold" for lack of a better word, and everything is a bit more crisp than s-video, which itself is loads better than composite.  An s-video mod for a Turbo/PC Engine must derive that from RGB, so your system probably has an amp built in for the RGB and then a chip to encode s-video.  That doesn't have much to do with what I'm saying except to say that getting RGB out of your system would be easier than most since the work is already done.

Isn't S-Video supposed to have a few advantages over component, seperate from it's disadvantages?

I may see if I can someday get my Duo modded with an RGB out as well if it can be done with the S-Video still functioning. I can still output composite and S-Video at the same time as it is now.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2007, 02:03:12 PM »
I don't know what advantages s-video could possibly have over component.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2007, 05:07:40 PM »
I can't get Ys 3 to interlace.  It does nothing, and Genesis Plus supports interlacing (you can clearly see it in Sonic 2).  Another guy I know tried it on his real Genesis, nothing happened.  INT ON = INT OFF, no difference.  I wonder what it does?

Black Tiger

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2007, 05:21:31 PM »
I can't get Ys 3 to interlace.  It does nothing, and Genesis Plus supports interlacing (you can clearly see it in Sonic 2).  Another guy I know tried it on his real Genesis, nothing happened.  INT ON = INT OFF, no difference.  I wonder what it does?

Are you using an RF switch or composite? It's always worked on the versions I've played, although I never knew exactly what it was before.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2007, 06:45:19 PM »
What did it do when you turned the INT MODE on and off?

FM-77

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2007, 01:50:17 AM »
It works for me and I'm using RGB. Immediately when I turn it on, the screen starts flickering madly and everything gets kinda blurry.

From the manual:

INT MODE
This jiggles the screen to get a clear message indication. It is not usually necessary to use this mode.

Says a lot. :roll:

Black Tiger

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2007, 02:41:40 AM »
What did it do when you turned the INT MODE on and off?

Back in the day, it looked like it just made the background shakey, like the Turbo-CD version.

Odonadon

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2007, 05:52:29 AM »
So does anyone have any info on incoming Turbo games?  I checked Hudson's and Nintendo's sites and didn't' see any upcoming titles listed at all.  Anyone know anything official and/or dates?

OD

I'll take that as a "no" - mods, can we get this back on topic or split this into another thread?  People who are looking for updates on incoming virtual console turbo games (like me) are not finding any pertinent info here.

Thanks,
OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2007, 10:11:21 AM »
I wish more games would jiggle the screen to give me a clearer message indication.

Seldane, what type of Mega Drive/Genesis are you using?  Model 1, model 2?  USA?  Jap?

guyjin

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2007, 10:22:33 AM »
I don't know what advantages s-video could possibly have over component.

Well, I've never owned a television with component inputs, but I have had several that had S-Video.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin