Author Topic: Incoming Virtual Console Turbo games  (Read 1985 times)

Black Tiger

Incoming Virtual Console Turbo games
« on: January 22, 2007, 02:28:13 PM »
I saw this on kotaku-

Future releases for the VC via the ESRB site include Super Mario World (SNES), Chew Man Fu (TG-16), and Mighty Bomb Jack (NES). Before the weekend, ratings for Turbografx-16 titles Bonk's Revenge, Bonk III: Bonk's Big Adventure, and Dragons Curse appeared for the Wii, but have since disappeared. All have been rated by the ESRB, but have little in the way of confirmed release dates.

Although the other games are cool enough, I'm really looking forward to trying Dragon's Curse on VC.  :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

Re: Incoming Virtual Console Turbo games
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 03:17:02 PM »
Nice.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 05:31:54 PM »
Quote from: Black_Tiger

I'm really looking forward to trying Dragon's Curse on VC.  :)

Why?  Don't you already own it?

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 12:53:21 AM »

It hasn't been released yet.

FM-77

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 04:30:59 AM »

Wasn't it released like, 20 years ago? :wink:

By the way, Kotaku... they've made up lots of things in the past. Not saying this is untrue, but I don't trust a word they say.

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 05:42:08 AM »
I don't see why they wouldn't release any of those games, especially the Bonks since those are musts.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 11:17:15 AM »

Wasn't it released like, 20 years ago? :wink:

By the way, Kotaku... they've made up lots of things in the past. Not saying this is untrue, but I don't trust a word they say.

The SMS version was released almost 20 years ago. But just as I bought the TecToy, GG, Turbo and PCE versions, I'm also looking forward to the VC version.

Anyone can say that VC games are reruns and if you already own one version, then there's no point in playing the VC version. But I don't know why they'd be posting in a Virtual Console forum in the first place. It's like posting in a TurboGrafx-16 forum that there's no point in playing TG-16 games cuz teh sux and now the PS3 is out.

I'm hoping that for the VC DC, they restore the secret warps and such that you can unlock with 99 charm stones in the original.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 11:59:58 AM »
Black_Tiger, I was asking if you already owned Dragon's Curse.  It was released years ago on the TG-16.  Remember?  I see no reason to buy a game on the VC if you own the real thing, especially when the TG-16 emulator is crap from what I hear.  But some people like throwing their money away for no reason, I guess.

FM-77

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 12:02:37 PM »
VC version? I've only played the Magic Engine version. :wink:

esteban

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 12:31:05 PM »
Black_Tiger, I was asking if you already owned Dragon's Curse.  It was released years ago on the TG-16.  Remember?  I see no reason to buy a game on the VC if you own the real thing, especially when the TG-16 emulator is crap from what I hear.  But some people like throwing their money away for no reason, I guess.
I see both sides of this issue. I haven't purchased any VC games yet... but I know I will, just for the novelty of seeing how the emulation is. I agree that it is a waste of money, but my curiousity will get the better of me.

I don't mind wasting a few dollars here and there, but overall I think that VC is overpriced. A long time ago (before Nintendo released the VC pricing schemes), I said that VC would be great if they offered *free* games occasionally. I also thought it would be neat if folks purchasing Wii software automatically earned free VC games. And, I also thought there should be volume discounts (for folks who buy a lot of VC games). Ultimately, I think these sort of promotions would actually increase interest in VC and make it even more profitable (in addition to fostering good will with customers).

This will never happen, I fear, because everyone wants to milk every last cent from these old games.
  |    | 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 01:04:46 PM »
From what I gather from another thread, Black_Tiger plans on doing comparisons between the VC and the real game and posting the results on his site, so that's a good excuse.

Black Tiger

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 02:42:53 PM »

Like I said, I played it on SMS, but still bought and played the other versions as well. The VC version is no different.

For me, it's like playing Lords Of Thunder Sega-CD, or Adventure Island PCE. VC games are real enough for me to consider them another platform. The emulation for most games is different than the original, but not bad. I'd be less interested in playing through VC ports if there was no difference.

I have a Street Fighter II CE cabinet, but I still like playing the game on my Mame cabinet and all the ports.

Plus, although I haven't had a chance to play through each VC game yet, so far I found that Bomberman '93 has new gameplay. If more games add new stuff then all the better.

From what I gather from another thread, Black_Tiger plans on doing comparisons between the VC and the real game and posting the results on his site, so that's a good excuse.

Exactly, like doing TG-16/Genesis comparisons.  :wink:

I see both sides of this issue. I haven't purchased any VC games yet... but I know I will, just for the novelty of seeing how the emulation is. I agree that it is a waste of money, but my curiousity will get the better of me.

In theory, owning multiple Turbo & PCE systems is a waste of money. Or as GUTS alluded to, why pay for games at all when you can download and emulate them for free?

I love the Turbo/PCE, have collected hundreds of hardcopy games(so many I can't play them all regularly), lots of consoles, magazines/media, etc... and even waste my time on a Turbo/PCE website. Playing VC Turbo games seems far from the least logical of my crazy antics. But for some reason, it's the one that gets questioned.  :-k
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:51:08 PM by Black_Tiger »

GUTS

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 03:05:55 PM »
No no I meant why pay for ROMS, not actual games.  I personally hate playing ROMS, I always buy the actual thing unless its something you have to play in ROM form (like english translated RPGs).  ROMS have no value and I would never pay for a bare bones emulated ROM since they are so freely available.  Even those overpriced NES Classics GBA releases were a better deal since at least you got something physical for the money (and Castlevania even had a save battery which made it at least somewhat worth it).

Owning a big game collection is fine, actual games are physical and have monetary value, hell you could probably sell your PCE collection and even make money off it, so its definitely not throwing your money away.

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 03:08:27 PM »
Black_Tiger, I appreciate what you're doing a lot and I think other members here will appreciate your comparison work when it's all done :) .

Joe Redifer

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 03:28:22 PM »

Like I said, I played it on SMS, but still bought and played the other versions as well. The VC version is no different.

Oh it's quite different.  The other versions weren't the same exact ROM.  This is the same exact game as the TG-16 version, not programmed specifically for the Wii.  That's like downloading TG-16 ROMs on a PC to "try out the PC version of the game".  Your logic fails, but due to the comparisons that you'll be doing, I will forgive it.  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 03:30:06 PM by Joe Redifer »