Author Topic: 3DO - Hated, Loved, Feared?  (Read 2901 times)

MissaFX

3DO - Hated, Loved, Feared?
« on: December 28, 2007, 07:27:53 PM »
That's another thing, why do people hate on the 3D0? EVERY SINGLE GAME IN THAT ENTIRE LIBRARY IS A f*ckING GEM. A f*ckING GEM!

A lot of people hate on the 3DO simply because they have never owned one.  It is a nice system with an interesting library of software.  The goldstar controllers and JPN Panasonic ones with the headphone in the controller port was one of the best ideas in gaming, ever.  I love playing Starblade on the 3DO while enjoying blaring sound from my Sony V6 headphones.

Not to mention I have never been able to get a PC to run Megarace without stuttering in the video, but with the 3DO I can show off the crapiness of each FMV segment, in all its b-movie glory.  Oh yeah and Sewer Shark on the 3DO is lightyears ahead of the Sega CD version in terms of quality, same with Night Trap.  Night Trap plays like a working piece of software on the 3DO.  The quality is good enough you can actually tell what the things are you are supposed to interact with :dance:  Having Creature Shock on the TV with all the lights off and the stereo on still gets my heart going at times.  Strahl is also a great anime FMV game, which is actually more playable than frustrating.  Really, only a few rare parts of the game might kill you, but it's still fun to watch/play. 

And I pimp it in nearly every 3DO thread I write in, Digital Dreamware is a fun title but impossible to emulate.  The 3DO itself is not powerful (the software could probably be optimised some too) to run the real time graphics at times.  Not that they are super impressive, but they are pretty retro.

The following is a list I made on another site of the 3DO games I had played I liked:
Another World
Brain Dead 13 (does not stutter like the PS1 version! gives directions on screen unlike PS1 version!!!)
Creature Shock
2 D&D games
Digital Dreamware
Dragons Lair 2: Time Warp
Flashback
Gex (the best version by far)
Lucienne's Quest
Lucienne's Quest 2 (only in Japanese)
Megarace (again the best version, I only call this good for the priceless clips between the races, priceless)
Policenauts with addons (again in Japanese, but worth checking out for Kojima fans)
Pyramid Intruder (sweet jeebis, this game rocks!!! Unless you own the LD version it's the only other way to play it)
Return Fire - RTS goodness, yes the 3DO had a few RTSs (even a mouse)
Sewer Shark (again, by far the best version of the game ever released)
Shockwave
Shockwave Operation Jumpgate
Shockwave 2
Space Ace (though the death screen could be better, less intrusive)
Space Hulk (much better than PC version, more missions)
Star Control 2 - Gods Own Copy...well that's what I call it at least
Strahl
Starblade (for some reason the best version also...even though superior consoles have done it since)
The Last Starfighter
The Horde

Lastly one of the best things about many of the 3DO models is that they have a tray based CD drive and an access light :clap:
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Kitsunexus

Re: 3DO - Hated, Loved, Feared?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 07:39:50 PM »
You forgot Iron Angel of the Apocalypse, Wicked 18 (also on SNES), Neurodancer (although I doubt you would want to play that  :wink:), Immercenary, Killing Time (I like this on PC), and of course, PRIMAL RAGE!!!!

WoodyXP

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 07:42:15 PM »
It was hated back in the day.. I can tell you that.  It was expensive.. like $700+ expensive and not too long after it was released
the Saturn and Playstation were released and ended up selling for alot less.  Developers started favoring the Playstation and everything
went down hill from there.

It was a good system... but it got undercut by the cheaper, technically superior consoles.

nat

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 07:44:01 PM »
Hahaha, 3DO.

The only thing I know about the 3DO is the commercials. Shit I remember those like it was yesterday. Those commercials were like a f*cking filibuster, constantly, every commercial break back in like '93 or whenever it was.

I've never been terribly interested in the console, although I remember those commercials made it seem like it was the wave of the future.

WoodyXP

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »
Hahaha, 3DO.

The only thing I know about the 3DO is the commercials. Shit I remember those like it was yesterday. Those commercials were like a f*cking filibuster, constantly, every commercial break back in like '93 or whenever it was.

I've never been terribly interested in the console, although I remember those commercials made it seem like it was the wave of the future.

Word.. they also had paid commercials that ran for like 30mins.  They made me drool to be honest... but after witnessing one first hand at my Rich-Kid friend's house
I came back down to earth.  I still dig the system... but damn.. $700?  If you factor in inflation the 3D0 is probably the most expensive console of all time.. and it
ended up shitting the bed.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 08:10:59 PM »

Yeah, if you like crap.  The 3DO version scrolls extremely jerky.  The Saturn version scrolls smoothly and as a result is much more playable (it also helps that the Saturn has a real controller).  The game is still boring on any platform, though.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 08:11:13 PM »
I can't think of a system I hate.  The closest would be the Xbox, with the Xbox 360 right next to it, because I hate Bill Gates.  Otherwise, I love it all....well, Game.com is pretty crappy, can't think of any games on it I enjoy, but, even stuff like the Gamate & Super Vision, I dig.

Games I dig, for one reason, or another, on the 3DO, taken from my list of games I own:
Ballz
Battlesport
Blade Force
Bust-A-Move
Cannon Fodder
Captain Quazar
Crash n Burn
Cyberdillo
Dragon Lore
Fifa Soccer
Fun 'N' Games
Gex
Gridders
Guardian War
The Horde
Ice Breaker
The Incredible Machine
Insector War
Jammit
Kingdom: The Far Reaches
Lost Eden
Lucienne's Quest
Mazer
The Need for Speed
Off World Interceptor
Olympic Soccer
Out of this World
Phoenix 3
PO'ed
Policenauts
Return Fire
Return Fire Map's o' Death
Road Rash
Samurai Showdown
Scramble Cobra
Shockwave Operation
Shockwave Operation Jumpgate
Shockwave 2
Slam n Jam 95
Soccer Kid
Space Hulk
Star Fighter
Star Wars Rebel Assault
Strahl
Syndicate
Theme Park
Total Eclipse
Trip'd
Wolfenstien 3D

Kitsunexus

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 08:14:41 PM »

Yeah, if you like crap.  The 3DO version scrolls extremely jerky.  The Saturn version scrolls smoothly and as a result is much more playable (it also helps that the Saturn has a real controller).  The game is still boring on any platform, though.

Exactly. Gex 2: Enter the Gecko for PS1 is the BEST Gex ever!

I can't think of a system I hate.  The closest would be the Xbox, with the Xbox 360 right next to it, because I hate Bill Gates.

That's just stupid. Xbox 360 has a TON of great games, plus XBL Arcade is really good, and even the original Xbox had some great games like Jet Set Radio Future, and it can be hacked into a great media center.

MissaFX

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 08:16:23 PM »
I never knew there was a Gex on the Saturn.  Can you save your gameplay with it as well and watch it again?
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer

nat

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 08:17:42 PM »
I'm always amazed you people are up so late. I'm in the Pacific Time Zone which means it's earlier than anywhere else in the lower 48. It's after 1am here which means it must be 2, 3, 4am where you people live. What the f*ck is wrong with you?!?

I can't think of a system I hate.  The closest would be the Xbox, with the Xbox 360 right next to it, because I hate Bill Gates.

That's just stupid. Xbox 360 has a TON of great games, plus XBL Arcade is really good, and even the original Xbox had some great games like Jet Set Radio Future, and it can be hacked into a great media center.

But the Micropenis is evil and doesn't deserve to be supported in any way.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 08:25:03 PM »
I'm always amazed you people are up so late. I'm in the Pacific Time Zone which means it's earlier than anywhere else in the lower 48. It's after 1am here which means it must be 2, 3, 4am where you people live.

I was up 'til 5:00AM last night.

What the f*ck is wrong with you?!?

I have no life.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 08:58:57 PM »
Meh, there's no games that really interest me.  For instance, I've played Halo 3 & Gears of War.  They're ok, but, I don't want to own them.  Maybe if they were on PS3, & were budget priced, I'd think about picking up Halo, cuz it's decent, but, to me, it's overhyped, which is annoying.  I have some Xbox games, & 1 360 game(Perfect Dark, stupid Microsoft owns Rare) for the day when I may pick up a 360....when the price drops really low, & their systems stop dying on people(most the people I know around here, are on their 2nd or 3rd 360...I'm still on my 1st PS2 from 2002 :)

MissaFX

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 09:02:11 PM »
Quote from: nat
I'm always amazed you people are up so late. I'm in the Pacific Time Zone which means it's earlier than anywhere else in the lower 48. It's after 1am here which means it must be 2, 3, 4am where you people live. What the f*ck is wrong with you?!?

I'm watching the Fururama marathon, any self respecting person is dawg.  Fo' real. [-(

Kitsunexus

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 09:04:09 PM »
stupid Microsoft owns Rare

I used to be pissed too, but hear me out, after I let my fanboy hardon shrivel, I saw the truth: Nintendo was just being smart buisness-wise.

They knew that while Rare was a good developer, they were NOWHERE near godlike status, but they sold them as such, and made a killing, while Rare's Microsoft efforts have been well, lackluster to say the least.

So honestly, can you really blame Nintendo? They just saw the writing on the wall and did something about it. That's Nintendo for you, to us it looks like they make stupid mistakes, but they're not stupid, they know what they're doing (take off every Zig).

I'm watching the Fururama marathon, any self respecting person is dawg.  Fo' real. [-(

Wow, Japanese Futurama! ^_^  :wink:

WoodyXP

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 09:14:55 PM »

I've always thought the same thing... being on the other side of the world and all.  I'm glad you all stay awake.. keeps me company.