Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 90623 times)

Gypsy

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4365 on: March 21, 2018, 07:00:18 AM »
Recently jammed some Outrun and Terraforming.

seieienbu

« Reply #4366 on: March 21, 2018, 09:27:43 AM »
Blazing Lazers was the first game I seen for Turbo-16,wanted one after seeing it.

It's one of my favorites.  I didn't beat it the other night; it's been a while since I was successful.  I got pretty far though.  I may give it another shot tomorrow or so to bet the full clear.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

« Reply #4367 on: March 24, 2018, 10:09:12 AM »
Recently jammed some Outrun and Terraforming.

Went on a good Outrun binge today. Been awhile. Got a few clears via different routes but no insane scores by any means.

Winniez

« Reply #4368 on: March 24, 2018, 10:23:13 AM »
Currently playing Gunhed, or Blazing Lazers since this is a Turbo thread. Trying to clear the game with only one life. I haven't managed it so far but it really shouldn't be that hard. The last stages are really difficult if you lose your power ups. So it shouldn't be that much more difficult to clear with one life than 1cc.

Gypsy

« Reply #4369 on: March 24, 2018, 10:30:33 AM »
Great game. Compile knew how to make great shootunz, that's for sure.

Good luck with the 1 life clear. I know I couldn't pull that off but I did beat the game. Be sure to let us know if you pull it off.

Phase

« Reply #4370 on: March 24, 2018, 01:56:25 PM »
Yeah Blazing Lazers is a fun game to go for a one life clear. You can try this romhack if you have an everdrive, its basically a 1lc version of the game.  :-"  http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=20918.0

Have you tried any of the higher difficulties yet? I usually play on Hard Mode (hard human) which seems more like Normal and how the game is suppose to be played, and Normal Dog seems like an easy mode..
After playing hard human most of the time, when you play normal dog its like playing in slow motion.

The game is pretty interesting in that it also has sub-difficulty levels (not sure what to call it) depending on your power up level while your playing. More noticeable on higher difficulties when you take a hit and all the sudden the enemy fire slows down. A neat mechanic though since it makes it easier to recover from losing a life or taking a hit compared to other shooters.

EmperorIng

« Reply #4371 on: March 25, 2018, 01:43:37 PM »
The game is pretty interesting in that it also has sub-difficulty levels (not sure what to call it)
In shootemup parlance we call this 'rank.' The game lowers the rank every time you die in order to make it easier to jump back in. Conversely, the longer you survive and more you are powered up, the more the game throws at you. It's been a feature since the 80s, notably in Gradius or other Konami games, which drastically scale back difficulty in order to get you back in the game. Some games are not as kind though: Darius Gaiden infamously does not decrease the dynamic difficulty no matter how much you die.

Compile's excellent Zanac is one more excellent example of rank/dynamic difficulty in games - no waves, but the enemy formations are entirely based off of your weapon loadout and power-level. It's something I wish they would have done more often.

Phase

« Reply #4372 on: March 26, 2018, 12:28:05 PM »
Interesting stuff, do you have any idea exactly how Gunheds rank system works? I haven't looked into it specifically but I think it just works off of your power up level. An easy setting for low power, a normal setting for in the middle and a hard setting for high power. The high power area seems to only kick in with certain maxed out weapon combos afaik. I've only really noticed it on the second level boss, most of the time he only shoots 1 triangle tracking-missile but with certain maxed out weapons like a II and F combo he will shoot two triangle missiles. I assume other stuff gets ramped up too, but not sure.

I wonder if it works like this..  non selectable Easy, Normal Dog(default), Hard Human, Super Mania, God of Game, non selectable Hardest and it just switches 1 up or 1 down depending on your power up level. If this is the case, it could mean we could hack in the two extra modes.  :-k I could be entirely wrong..

lukester

« Reply #4373 on: March 26, 2018, 01:51:52 PM »
Isn't Hard mode from Blazing Lazers the default normal in Gunhed?

Phase

« Reply #4374 on: March 26, 2018, 04:43:06 PM »
Isn't Hard mode from Blazing Lazers the default normal in Gunhed?
Negative, they are the same.

Gypsy

« Reply #4375 on: March 27, 2018, 01:34:09 AM »
PC Denjin. It's so rad. Everybody is so  8) 8) 8).

GoldenWheels

« Reply #4376 on: March 30, 2018, 01:37:25 AM »
Goddamn Raiden is hard. Once I have the first few levels down and know where to save bombs for, it's getting easier but...damn.

Punch

« Reply #4377 on: March 30, 2018, 11:41:01 AM »
I always get sodomized by the airstrip boss in Raiden, I rarely make it through but it's not like it gets any easier from there on.

lukester

« Reply #4378 on: March 30, 2018, 04:35:36 PM »
Not much lately.

Played a bit of Street Fighter II though. It's a great version, I love the music and colors. Shame about the lack of Turbo (not so much the speed but it has extra moves). Better than genny but snes just takes the cake overall.

Freeway2

« Reply #4379 on: March 31, 2018, 05:17:57 PM »
Me and a bud have been playing a lot of Hit The Ice. Has anyone beat this before. We make it to what I think is the final team the Blacks and come up short. Other than that double dragon II, Shinobi and Bonks Aventure/3. 
“If I took this cigarette and put it out on you would you love me”