Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 88630 times)

TheClash603

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4380 on: March 31, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »
Me and a bud have been playing a lot of Hit The Ice. Has anyone beat this before. We make it to what I think is the final team the Blacks and come up short. Other than that double dragon II, Shinobi and Bonks Aventure/3. 

I have played this game a ton, but never against the computer.  Now I feel like I gotta give it a try

Gredler

« Reply #4381 on: March 31, 2018, 09:12:38 PM »
hit the ice, classic, but no tv sports hockey

:cook:

esteban

« Reply #4382 on: April 14, 2018, 06:26:23 AM »
One PC-engine game that I never get tired of is The New Adventure Island. Been playing it almost daily again. It has that great pick up and play quality to it, like having an arcade game at home. Its not that common with platforming games. I like all the Wonder Boy/Adventure Island games (and have beaten pretty much all of them) but this one just might be my favorite.
Its so simple and fast that it just begs to be played again and again. I usually pop it in quickly and see how far I can make with a single life. Feels almost like playing a good shooter but within the platforming genre, it has the same flow in it.

Agreed!

In fact, just reading your post makes me want to play it. It's sooo good.

I also love the soundtrack and find myself humming its sugary tunes quite often.

So, it was perfect timing reading about NAI... I was going to hook up PCE, but since I only have NA New Adventure Island and Splatterhouse  hueys, I decided to hook up the old TG-16 for my twins.

My twins were frustrated with NAI last time they played it (like 6+ months ago...) *but* I am hoping that they will actually be able to play it (instead of constantly dying).

My 14 year old is too invested in other games (like Super Smash Bros.) to care about NAI or Splatterhouse, but I’m hoping she gives NAI a chance.

The game is pretty interesting in that it also has sub-difficulty levels (not sure what to call it)
In shootemup parlance we call this 'rank.' The game lowers the rank every time you die in order to make it easier to jump back in. Conversely, the longer you survive and more you are powered up, the more the game throws at you. It's been a feature since the 80s, notably in Gradius or other Konami games, which drastically scale back difficulty in order to get you back in the game. Some games are not as kind though: Darius Gaiden infamously does not decrease the dynamic difficulty no matter how much you die.

Compile's excellent Zanac is one more excellent example of rank/dynamic difficulty in games - no waves, but the enemy formations are entirely based off of your weapon loadout and power-level. It's something I wish they would have done more often.
Interesting stuff, do you have any idea exactly how Gunheds rank system works? I haven't looked into it specifically but I think it just works off of your power up level. An easy setting for low power, a normal setting for in the middle and a hard setting for high power. The high power area seems to only kick in with certain maxed out weapon combos afaik. I've only really noticed it on the second level boss, most of the time he only shoots 1 triangle tracking-missile but with certain maxed out weapons like a II and F combo he will shoot two triangle missiles. I assume other stuff gets ramped up too, but not sure.

I wonder if it works like this..  non selectable Easy, Normal Dog(default), Hard Human, Super Mania, God of Game, non selectable Hardest and it just switches 1 up or 1 down depending on your power up level. If this is the case, it could mean we could hack in the two extra modes.  :-k I could be entirely wrong..

I would love to hear further discussion on how the “rank” mechanic works in GunHed/BL.

GOD OF GAME or GO HOME, pussyfooters.

:)
  |    | 

Winniez

« Reply #4383 on: April 14, 2018, 04:22:06 PM »
Interesting to read about your kids playing the New Adventure Island Esteban. I think for younger gamers its not an ideal game. It starts out relatively difficult and fast without much time to get adjusted to the controls and gameplay, that leads to a quick frustration. It doesn't have that in-built tutorial like Mario games in their first levels.
I would try Bonk with them, or the later Adventure Island games on Famicom (but not the first one!)

esteban

What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #4384 on: April 16, 2018, 01:50:26 PM »
Interesting to read about your kids playing the New Adventure Island Esteban. I think for younger gamers its not an ideal game. It starts out relatively difficult and fast without much time to get adjusted to the controls and gameplay, that leads to a quick frustration. It doesn't have that in-built tutorial like Mario games in their first levels.
I would try Bonk with them, or the later Adventure Island games on Famicom (but not the first one!)

Yup, exactly, totally frustrating, but guess what? My daughter loves R-TYPE (she can’t make it far) and my son loves Mr. Heli (he gets further than I thought possible, but that’s not saying much).

Yes, they enjoy Bonk (1-3), Pac Land, Bomberman (all), Double Dragon II, Hanii on the Road, etc. (totally random stuff).

My first AI was, of course NES AI (they haven’t seen that yet, but they do like a lot of NES games).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:52:00 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Freeway2

« Reply #4385 on: April 17, 2018, 08:09:13 PM »
While testing my CD systems I’ve been playing Gate Of Thunder. I’ve always been very poor at this one but I feel like I turned a corner today by showing more patience.  I’m also trying to beat the last car on Chase H.Q. I get so close to blowing that black car up but I always get screwed at the end :)
“If I took this cigarette and put it out on you would you love me”

The Last Barbarian

« Reply #4386 on: April 23, 2018, 05:58:00 PM »
R type and splaterhouse two of my favorite turbo games

esteban

« Reply #4387 on: April 24, 2018, 10:09:48 AM »
While testing my CD systems I’ve been playing Gate Of Thunder. I’ve always been very poor at this one but I feel like I turned a corner today by showing more patience.  I’m also trying to beat the last car on Chase H.Q. I get so close to blowing that black car up but I always get screwed at the end :)

I have never beaten Chase HQ... I gotta do that.

|    | 

Punch

« Reply #4388 on: May 05, 2018, 08:33:33 PM »
I played Legendary Axe and finally beat it with 1 credit today! Plus I was recording it so right into youtube it goes.

:mrgreen:

Gypsy

« Reply #4389 on: May 06, 2018, 12:48:32 AM »
Nice, corngrats.  O0

seieienbu

« Reply #4390 on: May 06, 2018, 11:13:51 AM »
I've only beaten Legendary Axe a couple of times.  Normally when I get to the doors section I game over and get weak and then give up.  Nice run through.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

« Reply #4391 on: May 06, 2018, 01:26:52 PM »
I played Legendary Axe and finally beat it with 1 credit today! Plus I was recording it so right into youtube it goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRXdGgmxJ4E

:mrgreen:

It always feel like an accomplishment to beat this game.

:)
  |    | 

Punch

« Reply #4392 on: May 07, 2018, 03:04:12 PM »
I've only beaten Legendary Axe a couple of times.  Normally when I get to the doors section I game over and get weak and then give up.  Nice run through.

You can see in that run that I actually lose a couple of lives on corridor "L". This is straight up the most unfair section of the whole game and is enough to knock the game down a point, I mean there are plenty of cheap traps in the game but you can avoid them easily if you're careful, not there though. But it's still a very solid game nonetheless.

Galad

« Reply #4393 on: May 08, 2018, 04:46:54 AM »
I've completed Legendary Axe with save states,cheating?there's now way I could have accomplished it without save states.Really enjoyed the game though.

Pfloydguy2

« Reply #4394 on: May 08, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »
I adore shmups, even though I'm terrible at them. One of my favorite games is the original arcade Raiden.  The TurboGrafx port was the first game I bought for my Turbo - I actually bought it quite a while before I bought the console.  My first impression wasn't good though.  It starts off way harder than the arcade version, with about twice as many enemies attacking you in the first level. 

But I gave it another shot a few weeks ago on a whim, and I was pleased to find it's actually MORE manageable than most other versions once you get decently powered up.  The spread shot (red powerup) seems wider and stronger than in other versions after 3-4 powerups, and that makes the game much more playable. 

So now I'm hooked on TurboGrafx Raiden.