Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 89839 times)

SuperPlay

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #795 on: August 22, 2011, 02:35:26 AM »
Wow that is an action packed 3 hours :-)

GohanX

« Reply #796 on: August 22, 2011, 06:35:10 AM »
I spent most of my free time over the weekend playing Dragon's Curse for the first time. I love this game! I got to the (I think) last boss but got killed in a close fight.

KingDrool

« Reply #797 on: August 22, 2011, 07:17:47 AM »
Except Naxat had nothing to do with the Crushes (except pressing and publishing, of course)... :) Compile developed and programmed the Crush games.

I have no idea who actually designed and programmed Psychosis, but I'd love to find out. It's possible Naxat did it in-house, I suppose.

Strange...Moby Games claims it was Naxat, as does Wikipedia. Of course, Wikipedia also says Compile developed them, so there goes that credibility.

Anyway, regarding Psychosis, it was apparently developed by Dual Corporation. At least, according to Moby Games.
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/dual-corporation/

EDIT: Upon further research, it looks like Alien Crush and Devil's Crush were co-developed by Compile and Naxat. So perhaps we're both right? Maybe. So says the internet. So who the hell knows?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:21:29 AM by jlued686 »
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Jesse813

« Reply #798 on: August 22, 2011, 11:14:35 AM »
Lords of Thunder :)

roflmao

« Reply #799 on: August 22, 2011, 03:02:31 PM »
Family went to bed early tonight, got in three solid hours of OBEY!!

Continued onward in Emerald Dragon, just an amazing beautiful game.  Finally got through the first mini dungeon, and met up with two new members of my party.
Screwed around a bit with Air ZONK on a harder difficulty.  Ok, this game isn't as easy as I remembered.
Got to the crazy fast 'last level' of LoT before having to continue.
Blasted through 19 levels of Pac Land, before getting fed up with some nasty platforming.  After finally giving this game some proper playing time, it really is pretty fun.  Can't believe its taken me this long to get into it.  :)
And of course had to blast through a few levels of Sapphire after getting my ass handed to me in Image Fight II (2nd Level....STILL).
Also spent 15 mins playing 'Takin' it to the Hoop'.. why is this game hated on so HARD?  I actually found it pretty fun, and actually felt a bit more fluid than TV sports B-ball....

Awesome way to spend the evening.  Pac Land is way more fun than I remember back in the day.  I played a bit of it yesterday (My 3-yr-obey is a huge Pac Man fan) and I always dig playing it.  Most games I prefer playing with the TurboStick, but this is one of the few the TurboPad is clearly better.  The turbo switches are easier to flip mid-action.  R-Type and the Crush games are also better on the Pad, IMO.

Today, I think for the first time, I made it to the last level of Gate of Thunder before hitting the continue screen.  That's where I quit.  Whew, the difficulty ramps up quickly!  I freaking love this game.

nat

« Reply #800 on: August 22, 2011, 03:30:18 PM »
Except Naxat had nothing to do with the Crushes (except pressing and publishing, of course)... :) Compile developed and programmed the Crush games.

I have no idea who actually designed and programmed Psychosis, but I'd love to find out. It's possible Naxat did it in-house, I suppose.

Strange...Moby Games claims it was Naxat, as does Wikipedia. Of course, Wikipedia also says Compile developed them, so there goes that credibility.

Anyway, regarding Psychosis, it was apparently developed by Dual Corporation. At least, according to Moby Games.
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/dual-corporation/

EDIT: Upon further research, it looks like Alien Crush and Devil's Crush were co-developed by Compile and Naxat. So perhaps we're both right? Maybe. So says the internet. So who the hell knows?

MobyGames is full of shit, so is Wikipedia.

It's fairly common knowledge the Crush games were developed entirely by Compile, although if you need proof I can probably dig up about 5,343,284,783 sources for you. RED Company played some role (how big a role is unknown) in concept design for Devil's Crush, but the game was still ultimately drawn, composed and coded exclusively by Compile.

Naxat is/was a publishing house for the most part, if not exclusively. I'm not aware of any games Naxat played a part in developing off the top of my head, but that's not to say there aren't any.

Naxat and Compile had a long-running partnership where Compile would handle development while Naxat handled pressing and publishing. This union eventually became known as "Nazac," which is not only an obvious play on the the Naxat and Compile labels, but an anagram of Compile's first shooter "Zanac."

The moral of the story here is don't rely on what you see on the title screen for information on who developed a game. The copyright holder is almost always the publishing house and in many cases the developer is not even listed. The title screen for Blazing Lazers says "(C) 1989 Hudson Soft" but BL is just yet another Compile developed title. You don't even find this out until the final credit scroll after you beat the game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an extensive article appear somewhere in the not too distant future that clarifies a lot of these points.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:35:05 PM by nat »

Jesse813

« Reply #801 on: August 22, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
Gate of Thunder :D

RR1980

« Reply #802 on: August 22, 2011, 10:26:54 PM »
I am playing Shadow of the Beast and It Came from the Dessert! thanks Dalder!

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #803 on: August 23, 2011, 04:11:50 AM »
I am playing Shadow of the Beast and It Came from the Dessert! thanks Dalder!
Beast is EPIC! 

Spent another hour late last night clearing some more of Emerald Dragon.  Did the level up dance, added the bald Cleric/healing priest dude to my part by defeating the wall monster statue thing!!  Just kick ass, this game is so getting the soundtrack treatment!

After that, I got pwnd by Image Fight II again.  I'm actually regressing in this one.  Getting worse every time I play it.  I have it set to Normal and cannot beat the first boss, I've gotten to a point where I can do the entire first stage on one guy, completely loaded up on addons and badass weapons, but the boss is killing me!  I have beaten it, I have even played through the second stage, but am totally stuck on stage 3, so I thought this would be a good time to play through the first two stages to get a little more practice in.. and I'm actually getting worse.... :C

KingDrool

« Reply #804 on: August 23, 2011, 04:28:44 AM »
MobyGames is full of shit, so is Wikipedia.

It's fairly common knowledge the Crush games were developed entirely by Compile, although if you need proof I can probably dig up about 5,343,284,783 sources for you. RED Company played some role (how big a role is unknown) in concept design for Devil's Crush, but the game was still ultimately drawn, composed and coded exclusively by Compile.

Naxat is/was a publishing house for the most part, if not exclusively. I'm not aware of any games Naxat played a part in developing off the top of my head, but that's not to say there aren't any.

Naxat and Compile had a long-running partnership where Compile would handle development while Naxat handled pressing and publishing. This union eventually became known as "Nazac," which is not only an obvious play on the the Naxat and Compile labels, but an anagram of Compile's first shooter "Zanac."

The moral of the story here is don't rely on what you see on the title screen for information on who developed a game. The copyright holder is almost always the publishing house and in many cases the developer is not even listed. The title screen for Blazing Lazers says "(C) 1989 Hudson Soft" but BL is just yet another Compile developed title. You don't even find this out until the final credit scroll after you beat the game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an extensive article appear somewhere in the not too distant future that clarifies a lot of these points.

Nice. Thanks for the info. The web of misinformation on the internet regarding classic games is a pain in the ass. It'd be nice if there was one reliable source for this shit.

Anyway, back to Psychosis, despite the tangled development where it turns out Naxat didn't even develop the Crush games, Psychosis does remind me a lot of those games as far as the art style and enemy design goes.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Jesse813

« Reply #805 on: August 23, 2011, 05:48:50 AM »
PC Genjin 2  8)

Nagoyan

« Reply #806 on: August 23, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »
These past few months I've been playing through the first Cosmic Fantasy and just finally finished it the other night. From a gameplay standpoint it's extremely rough, but the story and characters kept me playing. I guess I found the premise of the hero crash landing on a planet and then proceeding to solve every single person's problems before finally taking down the big bad guy to be just what I wanted to play. Even the battle system had some interesting things going on, especially once you get Saya as your other party member. The thing that left me perplexed though was how in each "chapter" of the game you usually befriend a character who then follows your party around, but doesn't take part in battles! In all, it was a cool experience and it answered a lot of questions about who some of the characters are when they appear in CF2.       

blueraven

« Reply #807 on: August 23, 2011, 01:23:19 PM »
GuNHeD!!!
GUNBED!!!
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #808 on: August 23, 2011, 02:24:50 PM »
I started playing New Adventure Island again, I'm generally good at platformers but this one is throwing me a curveball.

Just on a side note, any good PCE exclusive platformers that I should take note of? I think I own all the US released ones
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:29:39 PM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

Jesse813

« Reply #809 on: August 23, 2011, 04:15:39 PM »
Puyo Puyo CD :)