Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 89784 times)

chany60126

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #1335 on: March 13, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »
Just beat Cosmic Fantasy 1 on the PCE. I got through it with no knowledge of Japanese. I like the character art and bios you can look at after you beat the game. Nice anime cut scenes throughout.
SignofZeta: What a quintessentially PCEFX thread. Someone complains about nothing, multiple Bible-length posts discussing who's a bigger a$$hole follow. You're both pretty big a$$holes. Let's call it a tie.

Mishran

« Reply #1336 on: March 13, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »
Completed the first loop of Dead Moon.  Shut the system off after beating the first stage of the second loop because I had to leave for work. ](*,)

Damon Plus

« Reply #1337 on: March 13, 2012, 07:21:33 PM »
JJ and Jeff. It has a Wonderboy vibe, but with more secrets. I love the soundtrack and the frantic pace at which the game runs in later levels.

esteban

« Reply #1338 on: March 13, 2012, 07:33:33 PM »
And personally, I don't think Dragon Spirit is anything to write home about.

Dragon Spirit is great! Do you not like the game in general or do you not like the PCE port?

Either way, the PCE Dragon Spirit is truly a wonderful little HuCARD.

Cook absolutely loves Sabaku, Hyouga, Kodai, Kazan, Hanakumo, Hinotori, Doukutsu, Yamata, ...*

* Nearly every song is a gorgeous track
  |    | 

meka

« Reply #1339 on: March 13, 2012, 07:36:28 PM »
Jackie Chan, does anyone know of any good Japanese Hu-Card platform or adventure games that don't require any knowledge of Japanese.

chany60126

« Reply #1340 on: March 14, 2012, 02:00:33 AM »
Jackie Chan, does anyone know of any good Japanese Hu-Card platform or adventure games that don't require any knowledge of Japanese.

Son Son II and Bikurriman World
SignofZeta: What a quintessentially PCEFX thread. Someone complains about nothing, multiple Bible-length posts discussing who's a bigger a$$hole follow. You're both pretty big a$$holes. Let's call it a tie.

tpivette

« Reply #1341 on: March 14, 2012, 02:14:10 PM »
Currently playing SideArms and Dungeon explorer until my PC Engine Duo gets here and I can finally start Dragon Slayer.

In SideArms, I can make it to the 6th stage before dying (as a kid, I remember beating the game).

I've beaten Dungeon Explorer with the Fighter, Theif, Warlock, Elf, and Princess. Working on the Witch right now. Looking to finish the game with all 10 characters
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

lukester

« Reply #1342 on: March 16, 2012, 03:17:35 PM »
Mostly Street Fighter II. That game is just boss : 8)

Also, occasionally Pac-Land. I can get to Stage 16 before dying.

And also just got a new Turbo Stick. Very disappointing. Horrible for shmups(tough to pull of diagonal movement), and can't pull of Ryu's shoryukens :cry:

nat

« Reply #1343 on: March 17, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »

Dragon Spirit is great! Do you not like the game in general or do you not like the PCE port?

Both. The game itself, as originally designed for the arcade, is not all that good to begin with. It's just... not very fun. Huge hitbox, poorly designed stages, etc... The Turbo port further mars things with decidedly poor visuals. The Turbo port could have been much, much better. The instrumentation on Dragon Spirit (Turbo version) is pretty good, but the musical compositions don't excite me.

The followup, Dragon Saber, addresses virtually all of these issues with superior stage design, no long boring stretches, smoother gameplay that doesn't make the big hitbox as much of an issue, and superior visuals. Also, more interesting compositions.

And also just got a new Turbo Stick. Very disappointing. Horrible for shmups(tough to pull of diagonal movement), and can't pull of Ryu's shoryukens :cry:

The U.S. TurboStick (which I'm assuming is the version you bought) is an "economy" version of the JP TurboStick. The JP original is bottom-weighted which makes controlling with it much, much better. It's otherwise almost virtually identical except for color and the size of the connector. It's amazing how much difference that bottom-weight makes, though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:09:12 AM by nat »

esteban

« Reply #1344 on: March 18, 2012, 10:01:56 AM »

Both. The game itself, as originally designed for the arcade, is not all that good to begin with. It's just... not very fun. Huge hitbox, poorly designed stages, etc... The Turbo port further mars things with decidedly poor visuals. The Turbo port could have been much, much better. The instrumentation on Dragon Spirit (Turbo version) is pretty good, but the musical compositions don't excite me.

The followup, Dragon Saber, addresses virtually all of these issues with superior stage design, no long boring stretches, smoother gameplay that doesn't make the big hitbox as much of an issue, and superior visuals. Also, more interesting compositions.

Well, that explains it! Our views on Dragon Spirit (arcade version or otherwise) are diametrically opposed .

This actually is a good thing to find out, because now I understand where you are coming from.

I won't try* to sway your opinion (since you are repulsed by Dragon Spirit ), but here's my scoop on the Spirit vs. Saber:

*I will try to sway other folks here on the forums, though. I can't let them think that Saber is the better game!

(1) Perhaps a bit sluggish when directly compared to Saber, Dragon Spirit totally holds its own. Dragon Spirit is a solid game in the arcade and the PCE version is solid. I mean solid. Hit box? It's fine! You gotta have skills! You gotta dodge! I think the trend toward smaller (1 pixel!) hitboxes over the past 15+ years is sad. We need some gargantuan hitboxes that require skillz .

(1 1/4) I'll grant you that there are segments of Dragon Spirit where the action slows down, but this isn't necessarily a problem: it's nice to have a respite to take a deep breath before the action heats up again. I like the air and ground enemies that must be destroyed (I wipe out every last one, I hate it when I miss a ground enemy). It keeps things interesting. Cyber Core copied this to its benefit. Now, since I like to listen to the music in Dragon Spirit whilst playing, I don't put up the turbo switches and hold down the I & II buttons for the whole game. I don't use turbo and I give my thumb a break whenever I can. I think this is an important consideration (thumb fatigue) that I did not even consider in the other thread (about arcade ports on consoles and how lame it is to exploit rapid-fire unless the arcade featured it as a standard function). I don't expect everyone to agree with my philosophy, but I enjoy it .

(1.6) The only thing that is maddening about Spirit is that the SHITTY SFX (air-to-ground bombs) have priority over the soundtrack, IRREPARABLY ruining the many glorious PSG tunes in the game. Not all the songs are great, mind you, but a majority are. SFX should NEVER have priority over soundtrack, IMO. I know you aren't a big fan of the soundtrack. This makes me sad

(2) So, Dragon Saber is NOT superior to Spirit. Saber features mosquitoes. Where are the dragons? Now, Saber has some slick! graphical effects with the background (i.e. the earth ripping open and exposing lava!) which really WOWS! the player and makes Spirit's stages appear static and dull. THIS IS A LIE. Saber's stages are not fundamentally better (design or otherwise) when it comes to challenge and enjoyment. And isn't this the most important thing? Dragon Spirit provides an entertaining romp that is not inherently weaker than Saber.

(3.5) It's true, Saber has slicker graphics (for the levels/stages), but the mosquito-sized sprites in the game totally negate this improvement!

(4) The music in Saber is mild at best. Spirit's music is extra spicy. I prefer the latter.

(5) Having said all of this, I enjoy both games. I just have to defend Spirit's honor.

The U.S. TurboStick (which I'm assuming is the version you bought) is an "economy" version of the JP TurboStick. The JP original is bottom-weighted which makes controlling with it much, much better. It's otherwise almost virtually identical except for color and the size of the connector. It's amazing how much difference that bottom-weight makes, though.

I was always wondering about the difference(s) between the US and Japanese Sticks, thanks for the scoop.

The NES Advantage had a decent bottom-weight and really felt solid. I haven't used one since I was a kid (late 80's), but the TurboStick felt so flimsy and insubstantial compared to the NES Advantage.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:33:01 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Lilgrafx

« Reply #1345 on: March 26, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »
Dungeon Explorer WITH 5 PEOPLE WOAH!! It was my first time playing with 5 people and it was f*cking amazing. We all got really intense and at one point when someone grabbed a white potion before our priest could get to it and my friend playing the priest jumped up and said "You f*cking Bitch!", my other friend turned to him and yelled "This is why none of us have girlfriends."

roflmao

« Reply #1346 on: March 26, 2012, 03:19:40 PM »
Dungeon Explorer WITH 5 PEOPLE WOAH!! It was my first time playing with 5 people and it was f*cking amazing. We all got really intense and at one point when someone grabbed a white potion before our priest could get to it and my friend playing the priest jumped up and said "You f*cking Bitch!", my other friend turned to him and yelled "This is why none of us have girlfriends."

Nice. :D

gekioh

« Reply #1347 on: March 26, 2012, 03:56:56 PM »
I gave Cyber Core some love this morning/afternoon before work. Probably gonna play it some more when I get home.

420GOAT

« Reply #1348 on: March 27, 2012, 09:04:51 AM »
just flipped pcengine version of ninja spirit. now i need the arcade version.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

esteban

« Reply #1349 on: March 28, 2012, 01:23:42 AM »
I gave Cyber Core some love this morning/afternoon before work. Probably gonna play it some more when I get home.

I have a soft spot in my heart for CyberCore. I wish it had a bit more intensity/flair, but it is a decent game  . A poor man's Dragon Spirit.

just flipped pcengine version of ninja spirit. now i need the arcade version.

You probably are referring to the "Arcade Mode" available on the HuCARD...one-hit death. But, if you are referring to the actual arcade game, well, I've always wanted to compare them to see how good/bad the PCE port was.   

|    |