Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91652 times)

roflmao

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #1800 on: November 13, 2012, 01:23:15 PM »

The game is really easy, but i still find it fun to play, specially starting at stage 5. "Redo snake come out!!"

Yeah, don't get me wrong it is some fun to play, just many other much better shooters, yet I hear a lot of people claim this is one of the elite shooters on the system and I disagree with that. The Snowman and Bomberman bosses are especially cool.

It's definitely one of my favorite shooties for the system (next to Spriggan).  But for me it's the absurd atmosphere and music and the easier gameplay that ranks it up there for me.  And I love the timed games.  Any shooter that includes that gets extra points in my book. :)

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.  :oops:

Bardoly

« Reply #1801 on: November 13, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »
I played all the way through and beat Bonk's Adventure Sunday night and really enjoyed doing so.  I didn't even use any continues!  (I had played through and beaten the game long ago.)

So, Monday night, I decided that I would do the same for Bonk's Revenge, but after using all of my continues, I could only get about halfway through the game.   ](*,)

I guess that I'll need to start it again and play through more slowly, getting as many extra lives as possible.  (Although I had played Bonk's Revenge some many years ago, I've never beaten the game.)

I'm in the same boat.  I've beaten Bonk's Adventure numerous times, but have NEVER beaten the sequel.  I think it's because I played the heck out of the first one when it was new.  It was one of the few games I owned early on so I played it incessantly.  But I didn't pick up Revenge until I got back into collecting for the system, in the late 90s.  And by then I had a pretty big library of games so haven't really given it the same dedication the first one got.

Well, I spent another hour and a half or two tonight playing more Bonk's Revenge, and I got all the way to the spaceship where you can choose which one of 4 different levels to play.  I beat one of the levels, and then I choose the water level.  About halfway through the level, I encountered a game-stopping glitch.   ](*,)  I was bonking some bricks when all of a sudden, I forced up through the ceiling into the non-visible area above top of the screen.  While I could walk/swim back and forth from the beginning of the level to the end, I couldn't find a way to get down or to kill myself, so I finally had to just turn the game off.   :(  This game is actually somewhat difficult, in that, while I was able to save up 7-8 lives and had 5 hearts, I finally died on the flying rocket knight, and when I used my first continue, I only start out with 3 lives and 3 hearts, which was a major setback.  I really don't want to look at a walkthrough to find all of the hidden hearts, but I may have to...

It almost seems that one needs to master the mini games so that he will have enough smiley faces to get extra lives to be able to more easily beat the game.  Either that of I just haven't gotten the rhythm of the game yet...

roflmao

« Reply #1802 on: November 14, 2012, 01:59:15 PM »
I find it far more challenging than the first one.  Perhaps that's why I enjoyed the first one so much.  A game doesn't have to be hard to be fun.

seieienbu

« Reply #1803 on: November 14, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »
I beat Bonk's Adventure, going on to Bonk's revenge tomorrow night.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

turboswimbz

« Reply #1804 on: November 15, 2012, 12:58:30 AM »
I played all the way through and beat Bonk's Adventure Sunday night and really enjoyed doing so.  I didn't even use any continues!  (I had played through and beaten the game long ago.)

So, Monday night, I decided that I would do the same for Bonk's Revenge, but after using all of my continues, I could only get about halfway through the game.   ](*,)

I guess that I'll need to start it again and play through more slowly, getting as many extra lives as possible.  (Although I had played Bonk's Revenge some many years ago, I've never beaten the game.)

I'm in the same boat.  I've beaten Bonk's Adventure numerous times, but have NEVER beaten the sequel.  I think it's because I played the heck out of the first one when it was new.  It was one of the few games I owned early on so I played it incessantly.  But I didn't pick up Revenge until I got back into collecting for the system, in the late 90s.  And by then I had a pretty big library of games so haven't really given it the same dedication the first one got.

Well, I spent another hour and a half or two tonight playing more Bonk's Revenge, and I got all the way to the spaceship where you can choose which one of 4 different levels to play.  I beat one of the levels, and then I choose the water level.  About halfway through the level, I encountered a game-stopping glitch.   ](*,)  I was bonking some bricks when all of a sudden, I forced up through the ceiling into the non-visible area above top of the screen.  While I could walk/swim back and forth from the beginning of the level to the end, I couldn't find a way to get down or to kill myself, so I finally had to just turn the game off.   :(  This game is actually somewhat difficult, in that, while I was able to save up 7-8 lives and had 5 hearts, I finally died on the flying rocket knight, and when I used my first continue, I only start out with 3 lives and 3 hearts, which was a major setback.  I really don't want to look at a walkthrough to find all of the hidden hearts, but I may have to...

It almost seems that one needs to master the mini games so that he will have enough smiley faces to get extra lives to be able to more easily beat the game.  Either that of I just haven't gotten the rhythm of the game yet...

Mastering the mini games does help a lot more in the second than the first game, however I've beaten the game without too many extra hearts (4,5) many times.  The game gets considerably harder at the end when you have those 4 worlds to conquer.  Minimizing damage in each of these levels is key! Hopefully this allows to only have to use a continue very late or not at all. This really is one of the few times in revenge when strategy is fairly important, learning when to move slowly or to move around a dangerous enemy, could mean the difference between having extra hits in the 3rd and 4th world you try.  (and beyond)
     Overall I like that it's harder here it makes every hit you take feel important, gets your heart pumping and makes for great pacing  towards the climax of the story.  Revenge is one of favorite games of all time.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

chany60126

« Reply #1805 on: November 20, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »
I was playing Cadash as the priest. I got killed by those pesky flying lions shortly after killing the silkworm boss. I guess I have to make sure to grind more next time, hehe.
SignofZeta: What a quintessentially PCEFX thread. Someone complains about nothing, multiple Bible-length posts discussing who's a bigger a$$hole follow. You're both pretty big a$$holes. Let's call it a tie.

roflmao

« Reply #1806 on: November 20, 2012, 02:31:54 PM »
I picked up Cadash earlier this year (at TurboFest!  Thanks again, alexsduo :)) and it took me awhile to get into the game because I didn't initially think to do some much grinding early on.  Once I figured that out, it became much more enjoyable!  Now I want to play again. :P

Bardoly

« Reply #1807 on: November 21, 2012, 04:40:03 AM »
Yep, Cadash is a very enjoyable game, but a little grinding at the beginning sure makes things a lot easier.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1808 on: November 21, 2012, 04:49:12 AM »
Or use TORU to skip the grinding.  Cheaters never win and winners never cheat, but I figure it's okay if you're just looking to hop into the game for a bit.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

psychobear

« Reply #1809 on: November 21, 2012, 04:59:17 AM »
Playing New Adventure Island... My favorite game series

roflmao

« Reply #1810 on: November 21, 2012, 05:21:53 AM »
Or use TORU to skip the grinding.  Cheaters never win and winners never cheat, but I figure it's okay if you're just looking to hop into the game for a bit.

Wow, I didn't know about that.

Thanks!

Bardoly

« Reply #1811 on: November 21, 2012, 06:09:31 AM »
Played some Somer Assault last week, and wow!  For some reason, I was expecting a space shooter, not a what-in-the-world-kind-of-game-is-this? kind of game.  I beat 3 stages, and then had to put it up for the night, but it was definitely different.  I was like, "The U.S. got this game instead of so many other great PC Engine HuCard games!?"  I'm not saying that it is a bad game per se, just that it's quite different and there are many more games that I enjoy far more.

Arjak

« Reply #1812 on: November 21, 2012, 08:21:19 AM »
I'm currently playing two games:

-Ys IV: Dawn of Ys

Now that I can play it in full English, I have finally dove into this game for the first time. Being a big Ys fan, I am REALLY enjoying this one. In my opinion, it is just as good as Ys I & II so far.

-Cosmic Fantasy 2

Ugh...not a fan of this so far. It is quite clear to me that Laser Soft did not know how to optimize the use of the CD for cutscenes at this point. It seems like in every cutscene, it has to load for ten seconds between every little moment! There was a similar issue in Last Alert, but at least then, I was laughing in between at the ridiculous story. I also love how NOTHING interesting happens in the intro. Besides introducing the main characters, there is no excitement at all, making it seem like the game is going to be about fishing. When you finally get to the game, there are much worse problems. WHY are there items that cure the non-existant status ailments!? WHY do I have to exploit the guy who gives you free herbs just to beat the first battles!? WHY is the encounter rate so high in caves!? WHY is it so BORING!? My only hope is that the story gets better. If it doesn't, I'm in trouble.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

DarkKobold

« Reply #1813 on: November 21, 2012, 09:05:41 AM »
-Cosmic Fantasy 2

Ugh...not a fan of this so far. It is quite clear to me that Laser Soft did not know how to optimize the use of the CD for cutscenes at this point. It seems like in every cutscene, it has to load for ten seconds between every little moment! There was a similar issue in Last Alert, but at least then, I was laughing in between at the ridiculous story. I also love how NOTHING interesting happens in the intro. Besides introducing the main characters, there is no excitement at all, making it seem like the game is going to be about fishing. When you finally get to the game, there are much worse problems. WHY are there items that cure the non-existant status ailments!? WHY do I have to exploit the guy who gives you free herbs just to beat the first battles!? WHY is the encounter rate so high in caves!? WHY is it so BORING!? My only hope is that the story gets better. If it doesn't, I'm in trouble.

The other big issue is that the caves have very, very few identifying features, so it is incredibly easy to run in circles, for hours. I do, however, love finding the early cheesy pop culture of the 90s references that Working Designs threw in.

Like Exile: WP, the only thing that keeps me going in the CF2 is my love of all things Victor Ireland, regardless of how much they actually suck.
Hey, you.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #1814 on: November 24, 2012, 03:53:57 AM »
Lately I have been playing a lot of Ninja Spirit .. Haven't seen that game beat since around 92 when me and my cousin Frank would take turns playing through the levels .. I'll have to admit towards the last levels it gets pretty tough, but I most definitely really enjoy the game every time I play it ..
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!