Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91663 times)

PunkicCyborg

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #1845 on: December 15, 2012, 01:14:59 PM »
Fiend Hunter!
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

hoobs88

« Reply #1846 on: December 15, 2012, 01:30:53 PM »
I really, really tried to give Order of the Griffon a fair shake...

The game is just spectacularly awful to me. Between getting attacked in town, the redundant looking walls in the town, and the battles dragging out due to the number of misses, I just could not get into the game.

Yeah, it's not everyone's cup of tea...if you did like it, then I would recommend the Gold Box games on PC...

I love the game, myself (it's friggin' sweet!)

I also enjoyed OOtG...so much that I mapped out all of the towns and dungeons on graph paper (later converted them to spreadsheets). It can be difficult early on before your party gets leveled up but it gets easier when you get the magical items from the town to the right (forgot the name).
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

psychobear

« Reply #1847 on: December 15, 2012, 02:29:53 PM »
Finally got my hands on Super Star Solder for a decent price so I been playing that for the past 2 days, playing the 2 minute mode the most.

NinjaCrackerX

« Reply #1848 on: December 15, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »
Started Cosmic Fantasy 2. Just curious if anyone here played it, I keep getting destroyed at what I guess is the first boss. Not sure if it's a grind heavy game or I'm too used to today's easy RPGs!

DarkKobold

« Reply #1849 on: December 15, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »
I really, really tried to give Order of the Griffon a fair shake...

The game is just spectacularly awful to me. Between getting attacked in town, the redundant looking walls in the town, and the battles dragging out due to the number of misses, I just could not get into the game.
Ever play a first-person RPG before? It sounds like you never left the first town. At least OotG has a 3/4 view for the overworld and battles. If OotG is "spectacularly awful", you might as well skip Wizardry, Might and Magic, Dungeon Magic, Dungeon Master, Pool of Radiance and the Gold Box games, half of Phantasy Star 1 and the early Ultimas and anything else that requires thinking or mapping.

Learn how to differentiate the genre from the game. You're like someone who hates sports games whining about Tecmo Bowl.

... My irony meter just exploded, Mr. "I-hate-jRPGs"

Also, a lot of those games do the mapping for you, and add more depth of field, so you can see where you are going. I enjoyed Darkside and Clouds of Xeen, back in the day.

At least I didn't create an entire thread whining about it, after having played multiple D&D games. This is the first AD&D game I've touched.
Hey, you.

roflmao

« Reply #1850 on: December 16, 2012, 02:37:55 AM »
Started Cosmic Fantasy 2. Just curious if anyone here played it, I keep getting destroyed at what I guess is the first boss. Not sure if it's a grind heavy game or I'm too used to today's easy RPGs!

It's been ages since I last played through it (late 90's), but from what I recall, it was GrindFest-O-Matic 2000.  I managed to play all the way through it, though, which says something because I don't finish many RPGs. :)

turboswimbz

« Reply #1851 on: December 16, 2012, 04:09:03 AM »

Just finished it, YOU MUST GRIND like crazy in the first bit.  After the first little section grinding isn't needed.  Also learning how to use the healing magic is essential in every boss battle, they do a ton of damage.  Use the money made grinding to always increase armor first.  I can't stress enough that you'll need to stick with it, as to really appreciate the game you need to get like 3/4 of the way through the game to understand what your doing now.   
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

NinjaCrackerX

« Reply #1852 on: December 16, 2012, 04:38:24 AM »
Just finished it, YOU MUST GRIND like crazy in the first bit.  After the first little section grinding isn't needed.  Also learning how to use the healing magic is essential in every boss battle, they do a ton of damage.  Use the money made grinding to always increase armor first.  I can't stress enough that you'll need to stick with it, as to really appreciate the game you need to get like 3/4 of the way through the game to understand what your doing now.  
I tried grinding in the cave below the town a bit before triggering the village being overrun so I could heal/save etc.. When the village is overrun the boss cuts me down real quick (the regular enemies aren't so bad). It doesn't help either that the encounter rate is so high I have to fight a handful of battles in the village before I get to him! :p I'll keep at it though!! Thanks for the tips.

Firebomber7

« Reply #1853 on: December 16, 2012, 04:54:44 AM »
Just finished it, YOU MUST GRIND like crazy in the first bit.  After the first little section grinding isn't needed.  Also learning how to use the healing magic is essential in every boss battle, they do a ton of damage.  Use the money made grinding to always increase armor first.  I can't stress enough that you'll need to stick with it, as to really appreciate the game you need to get like 3/4 of the way through the game to understand what your doing now.   
I tried grinding in the cave below the town a bit before triggering the village being overrun so I could heal/save etc.. When the village is overrun the boss cuts me down real quick (the regular enemies aren't so bad). It doesn't help either that the encounter rate is so high I have to fight a handful of battles in the village before I get to him! :p I'll keep at it though!! Thanks for the tips.
I feel bad now. I start by trolling you about your name, and it turns out you actually OBEY it seems! Please accept my apologies for earlier.

turboswimbz

« Reply #1854 on: December 16, 2012, 05:03:22 AM »
Yeah that battle does suck...and yeah they threw the battles in town to make it hard.  try gaining a level, it might all of the sudden make the battle easy, I found this maybe twice in the game, where not being a high enough level means that it's almost impossible to win  kinda cheap, but stick with it when the story comes around this part is worth it!  the story is long and involved but excellent if you make it through.

Let me know your thoughts on this game as you go, I thought this was perhaps one of the more interesting US titles.

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

esteban

« Reply #1855 on: December 16, 2012, 05:04:15 AM »
I feel bad now. I start by trolling you about your name, and it turns out you actually OBEY it seems! Please accept my apologies for earlier.

Peace, love and harmony claws its way out of the bowels of pcenginefx.com! :)

|    | 

vestcoat

« Reply #1856 on: December 16, 2012, 06:32:21 AM »
... My irony meter just exploded, Mr. "I-hate-jRPGs"
Actually, that was your apples to oranges meter.

Unlike you, I'm aware of my bias. I think FFIV sucks because it's a jRPG.
You think OotG is sucks because you don't know what a D&D RPG is.

I bitched because FFIV strayed so far from the original.
You bitched because you failed in the first town and you don't know how to create characters with THAC0 low enough to hit the weakest enemies.

I intentionally trolled in Fighting Street to piss off fanboys like you.
You tried to write a fair review while mistaking conventions of the genre for flaws in the game.

Pat yourself on the back, Ace.

hizaygizirlz

« Reply #1857 on: December 16, 2012, 06:39:38 AM »
Yeah that battle does suck...and yeah they threw the battles in town to make it hard.  try gaining a level, it might all of the sudden make the battle easy, I found this maybe twice in the game, where not being a high enough level means that it's almost impossible to win  kinda cheap, but stick with it when the story comes around this part is worth it!  the story is long and involved but excellent if you make it through.

Let me know your thoughts on this game as you go, I thought this was perhaps one of the more interesting US titles.

Way to frequent on the random battles in this one.  I thought the game was some what interesting story-wise, but I was glad when I finished it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:56:46 AM by hizaygizirlz »
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

turboswimbz

« Reply #1858 on: December 16, 2012, 06:47:36 AM »
Yeah that battle does suck...and yeah they threw the battles in town to make it hard.  try gaining a level, it might all of the sudden make the battle easy, I found this maybe twice in the game, where not being a high enough level means that it's almost impossible to win  kinda cheap, but stick with it when the story comes around this part is worth it!  the story is long and involved but excellent if you make it through.

Way to freqent on the random battles in this one.  I thought the game was some what interesting story-wise, but I was glad when I fiinished it.

ah i agree there are drawn out parts and I would say it's no where near the excitement and accomplishment felt by clearing Ys Iⅈ it is kinda a phew glad that's over, but I felt like the story actually came together in the end.  maybe I was just excited I didn't waste my time on a bunch of silly little quests for no pay off what so ever.

hizaygizirlz

« Reply #1859 on: December 16, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
Yeah that battle does suck...and yeah they threw the battles in town to make it hard.  try gaining a level, it might all of the sudden make the battle easy, I found this maybe twice in the game, where not being a high enough level means that it's almost impossible to win  kinda cheap, but stick with it when the story comes around this part is worth it!  the story is long and involved but excellent if you make it through.

Way to frequent on the random battles in this one.  I thought the game was some what interesting story-wise, but I was glad when I finished it.

ah i agree there are drawn out parts and I would say it's no where near the excitement and accomplishment felt by clearing Ys Iⅈ it is kinda a phew glad that's over, but I felt like the story actually came together in the end.  maybe I was just excited I didn't waste my time on a bunch of silly little quests for no pay off what so ever.

Yeah I think if u divide the game in thirds.  It gets much more interesting after the first third.  However it was like grind, grind, grind.  Then you are untouchable for the area that you are in but still have to fight every 3 steps.  Which is aggravating b/c some of the dungeons are maze like and you can't just stop and save.

The to beat the bosses which are tough I always seemed to use the same strategy.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!