Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91693 times)

MrFlutterPie

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #1905 on: December 30, 2012, 06:15:17 AM »
Played and beat Pac-Land yesterday.  Couldn't stand the default controls, wtf were they thinking with that?  But the "lever controls" are good enough I suppose; though it seemed like no matter how minor of a tap I did, Pac-Man would move too far to the sides.  The control flaws become way more apparent as you get into the later trips.  Overall a decently fun game though, glad I bought.

I played just a little bit of the post-game Pro levels, I might go back to it later using the cheat to get to the pro levels.  Didn't have the time or patience after beating the game yesterday.

The default controls are funny because I believe the mimic the actual arcade machine.  I was told the arcade version used buttons to move left and right.  At least for the TG-16 they give you a more stranded control option.

turbokon

« Reply #1906 on: December 30, 2012, 06:31:26 AM »
I'll been paying R-Type. Can't get past stage 4.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

roflmao

« Reply #1907 on: December 30, 2012, 06:45:36 AM »
Aaaand today I finished Mysterious Song.  Had no idea that it was so short.  I think I'll play it again and do a little more grinding and whatnot.  Do we not have a gameplay thread for MS here?

Chris

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=12960.0

I've been meaning to comment to that thread since I've been playing MS off and on lately as well (beat it awhile back).  There is another game mode unlocked once you beat it.  I think it's called "Infinite Dungeon" or something. I haven't dug into that yet, but I hear it takes forever to complete (though some here have).

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #1908 on: December 30, 2012, 07:23:10 AM »

I can't get past the giant mothership that you need to destroy piece by piece.  I think that's around level 3 or 4.

TheOldMan

« Reply #1909 on: December 30, 2012, 07:25:04 AM »
It's not that the unlocked game is really longer - there are a few things added, but it's basically the same until you get to the end. You will, however, spend almost as much time in the last maze as you did in the entire basic game :)

SMF

« Reply #1910 on: December 30, 2012, 08:33:51 AM »

I can't get past the giant mothership that you need to destroy piece by piece.  I think that's around level 3 or 4.

Yea that mothership is a bitch with all the flicker. You definitely have to be equipped with the portable gun thing you can toss and attach to the front or back of your ship. Once you get on top position your ship on the eye as the giant snack dances above you. Easy to beat you just have to get to the eye. Goodluck.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

seieienbu

« Reply #1911 on: December 30, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
I beat the mothership exactly once as a kid.  I've gotten to stage 5 several times now.  I keep being killed at the part where there are a bunch of laser-ships and 4 worm-y things.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:28:22 PM by seieienbu »
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

-D-

« Reply #1912 on: December 30, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
Played and beat Pac-Land yesterday.  Couldn't stand the default controls, wtf were they thinking with that?  But the "lever controls" are good enough I suppose; though it seemed like no matter how minor of a tap I did, Pac-Man would move too far to the sides.  The control flaws become way more apparent as you get into the later trips.  Overall a decently fun game though, glad I bought.

I played just a little bit of the post-game Pro levels, I might go back to it later using the cheat to get to the pro levels.  Didn't have the time or patience after beating the game yesterday.

The default controls are funny because I believe the mimic the actual arcade machine.  I was told the arcade version used buttons to move left and right.  At least for the TG-16 they give you a more stranded control option.

That, and they actually put an ending into the TG-16 version.  The arcade version loops back to Trip 5 after Trip 8; no Pro levels.  So we got an optional better control scheme, a real ending, and a "second quest"; not bad.  I love it when they do a great job with console ports of arcade games.

seieienbu

« Reply #1913 on: December 30, 2012, 03:07:09 PM »
And I'm at the boss of stage 6.  This game's haaaard, but at least when you die there are enough powerups to get strong enough to offer some resistance if you live for just a bit.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

« Reply #1914 on: January 01, 2013, 06:31:02 AM »
And I'm at the boss of stage 6.  This game's haaaard, but at least when you die there are enough powerups to get strong enough to offer some resistance if you live for just a bit.

You're talking R-Type, correct? Yes, you just gotta survive long enough for a few power-ups to get an edge (Gradius series is just like this). Simply getting a Speed-Up feels wonderful (in both games). Ha!

Super Raiden CD.  So far I get stuck at the end of level 3.  Man the boss is hard to hit.

Until you figure out a strategy, you can always go crazy with well-timed bombs. But, once you realize the hit-box on your ship is smaller than you'd think, well, you gain a bit of hope.

|    | 

esteban

« Reply #1915 on: January 01, 2013, 06:35:33 AM »
playing rtype cd with the funky music, got stuck at the level 5 checkpoint....

I have long-defended this soundtrack, but even I admit that it would have been nice to have "optional soundtrack(s)"... that could be switched on-the-fly, such as the original (or alternate version) R-Type PSG tunes. Vasteel, for example, allowed Red Book and PSG tunes...

But I love the dance 80's R-Type (it is almost universally derided).  WHATEVAH.

|    | 

pc_kwajalein

« Reply #1916 on: January 01, 2013, 07:41:18 AM »
I'm currently playing Bonk's Revenge for the eight-hundredth time. No matter how many times I complete the game, I never tire of it.
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #1917 on: January 01, 2013, 08:07:15 AM »
I am currently playing Cybercore and Super Star Soldier currently.  Love me some shump action!

Too bad I suck at shumps but that doesn't keep me from enjoying the genre :)

rrob78

« Reply #1918 on: January 01, 2013, 08:11:16 AM »
I like Cybore Core, can't make it to the first end boss, lol. But still doesn't stop me from playing it. I got to get Super Star Solider!!!

jelloslug

« Reply #1919 on: January 01, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »
Dungeon Explorer; I have always loved that game.  It's great as a single player game and even better with a group. I'll probably play through Neutopia I and II next.