Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91717 times)

seieienbu

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #1920 on: January 01, 2013, 10:45:08 AM »

You're talking R-Type, correct? Yes, you just gotta survive long enough for a few power-ups to get an edge (Gradius series is just like this). Simply getting a Speed-Up feels wonderful (in both games). Ha!

In one of the Gradius games (I think 3) I was able to win if I did it in one life, but if I ever died mid stage it was game-over.  The extra lives before the continue were irrelevant.  At the continue, if I could get enough powerups in the first half of the stage I'd be fine.  Some levels I never could, though, and would just lose anyway.  Perhaps if I played the game as an adult and not a 10 year old things might be different, who knows.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

turbokon

« Reply #1921 on: January 01, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »
playing rtype cd with the funky music, got stuck at the level 5 checkpoint....

I have long-defended this soundtrack, but even I admit that it would have been nice to have "optional soundtrack(s)"... that could be switched on-the-fly, such as the original (or alternate version) R-Type PSG tunes. Vasteel, for example, allowed Red Book and PSG tunes...

But I love the dance 80's R-Type (it is almost universally derided).  WHATEVAH.

Never played the r-type cd, now you got me interested.

I was stuck on stage 3 (the ship stage) for a while but eventually made past it. I can beat lords any day I play it but can't beat games like R-Type and Aeroblasters.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #1922 on: January 01, 2013, 02:32:58 PM »
I am making progress on Areoblasters.  I might be able to finish that one some day.

esteban

« Reply #1923 on: January 01, 2013, 05:40:21 PM »
playing rtype cd with the funky music, got stuck at the level 5 checkpoint....

I have long-defended this soundtrack, but even I admit that it would have been nice to have "optional soundtrack(s)"... that could be switched on-the-fly, such as the original (or alternate version) R-Type PSG tunes. Vasteel, for example, allowed Red Book and PSG tunes...

But I love the dance 80's R-Type (it is almost universally derided).  WHATEVAH.

Never played the r-type cd, now you got me interested.

I was stuck on stage 3 (the ship stage) for a while but eventually made past it. I can beat lords any day I play it but can't beat games like R-Type and Aeroblasters.

Aeroblasters is a better game than R-Type (OH SNAP!) and you'll find it much more satisfying to practice and hone your skills. I love R-Type but it ain't no Aeroblasters (OH SNAP!)

[/blasphemy]

You're talking R-Type, correct? Yes, you just gotta survive long enough for a few power-ups to get an edge (Gradius series is just like this). Simply getting a Speed-Up feels wonderful (in both games). Ha!

In one of the Gradius games (I think 3) I was able to win if I did it in one life, but if I ever died mid stage it was game-over.  The extra lives before the continue were irrelevant.  At the continue, if I could get enough powerups in the first half of the stage I'd be fine.  Some levels I never could, though, and would just lose anyway.  Perhaps if I played the game as an adult and not a 10 year old things might be different, who knows.

I hear you. I'll say this: it is possible to recover from death in Gradius series...but you have to practice your "recovery" and "survival" skills. I love this about Gradius--you actually do have a chance at each checkpoint, even though it seems impossible.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:44:36 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

seieienbu

« Reply #1924 on: January 02, 2013, 04:53:28 AM »
Oh, I'm not saying Gradius recoveries were ever impossible; It's a fair game and doesn't force you to lose ever.  I'm just saying that I couldn't recover sometimes.  At least, I couldn't when I played the game last ~20 years ago. 

I made it to level 7 of Rtype a couple of times last night.  Still on track to beating this game and killing a demon of my youth.  Good times.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1925 on: January 02, 2013, 05:02:50 AM »
Kato & Ken-Chan.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #1926 on: January 02, 2013, 05:17:55 AM »
I have been playing Y's Book 1&2 with a buddy for the past 2 weeks .. We had to download a map of all the mines and a tutorial on what items to get in order to beat the hell outta this game .. I'm having a great time playing my very first RPG with the help of a friend .. After we beat this one I'm gonna search for Y's Book 3 .. This game rocks !!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

galam

« Reply #1927 on: January 02, 2013, 05:33:17 AM »
I have been playing Ys Book 1&2 with a buddy for the past 2 weeks .. We had to download a map of all the mines and a tutorial on what items to get in order to beat the hell outta this game .. I'm having a great time playing my very first RPG with the help of a friend .. After we beat this one I'm gonna search for Ys Book 3 .. This game rocks !!

As I'm sure you are aware, Ys III is WAAAAY different.  Think of Legend of Zelda going to Adventure of Link.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #1928 on: January 02, 2013, 05:41:36 AM »
@ galam .. I actually was not aware that Y's Book 3 is totally different from Y's Book 1&2 .. Gonna look up some info and video play of it before I search for a copy to buy ... Thanks for the info ...
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1929 on: January 02, 2013, 06:00:56 AM »
Ys IV is the same style of game play as Ys I & II and it even has an English translation.  DO IT!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #1930 on: January 02, 2013, 06:23:05 AM »
@ Necromancer .. Nice gonna start looking for a patched version of Y's IV .. Thanks dude !!

SuperPlay

« Reply #1931 on: January 02, 2013, 06:37:25 AM »
Just having a blast on Shadow Of The Beast.

seieienbu

« Reply #1932 on: January 02, 2013, 06:44:18 AM »
Yaaaay, Ys!  At some point I'm going to want to play Ys 4 with the english dubbing, never did get around to that.

Bardoly

« Reply #1933 on: January 02, 2013, 07:26:24 AM »
I have been playing Ys Book 1&2 with a buddy for the past 2 weeks .. We had to download a map of all the mines and a tutorial on what items to get in order to beat the hell outta this game .. I'm having a great time playing my very first RPG with the help of a friend .. After we beat this one I'm gonna search for Ys Book 3 .. This game rocks !!

As I'm sure you are aware, Ys III is WAAAAY different.  Think of Legend of Zelda going to Adventure of Link.

This is true, but I just played through Ys III recently, and I really enjoyed it.  Then again, I really enjoyed both The Legend of Zelda AND The Adventure of Link.

Anyway, I hope that you go ahead and get and play Ys III.

galam

« Reply #1934 on: January 02, 2013, 07:28:34 AM »

This is true, but I just played through Ys III recently, and I really enjoyed it.  Then again, I really enjoyed both The Legend of Zelda AND The Adventure of Link.

Anyway, I hope that you go ahead and get and play Ys III.

Agreed.
I just finished Ys III again a few weeks ago myself.  I do enjoy it, just throwing out the comparison so he knows what to expect.