Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91413 times)

esteban

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #2190 on: March 23, 2013, 05:34:06 PM »
The mental scarring from Shape Shifter deleting all my saves is beginning to heal and I've re-embarked on Bomberman '93.  I don't remember the second boss this challenging last time.  Bomberman '93 is good fun all around.

SPECIAL GOODNESS FOR YOU (and all Bomberman fans): http://www.tg-16.com/mp2/Bomberman/Populous_Promised_Lands_Track_12.mp3

RED BOOK BOMBERMAN MOTHERF*CKERS.

Oh, you wanted to listen to soundtrack (in its entirety) for Populous: The Promised Lands?
  |    | 

roflmao

« Reply #2191 on: March 24, 2013, 07:45:37 AM »
I recently played through Bonk's Adventure with the intention of completing it in under an hour while the DVD recorder was going.  I went over, but it was still a fun romp through the game.  There is so much to explore, I could easily spend 3 hours going through the game. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwMnvARtgDqESBgQ3ORjcZzl9aViChkvm

Dyna138

« Reply #2192 on: March 24, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »

Heck yes, Dyna138. I recently replayed NES Zelda (advanced quest, too) and I had a great time because I just took my time. Such a great game.

I've been meaning to replay Neutopia while NES Zelda is fresh in my head, I want to compare them. Will I consider Neutopia an UPGRADE (as I have in the past) of NES Zelda? Or will I give NES more credit now, in 2013, since my original views of NES vs. TG-16 were formed in 1989 and I'm trying to make an objective comparison over 20 years later?

These are things I like to do when I have free time.

I've wrestled with that question as well. I'm a Turbo fan, but on the other hand I grew up playing Zelda on the NES so I guess I'm equally biased either way and will never be able to figure it out.  :lol:

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #2193 on: March 27, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »
Right now I'm trying to finally finish Super Air Zonk .. For the longest time I could not get past the third stage .. I played some Gates Of Thunder in the past few days .. I went back to playing some more Super Air Zonk today and easily beat the third and fourth stage .. Right now I'm stuck trying to beat the boss from the Moonhead stage .. Gonna play some more Gates Of Thunder and further sharpen my Shmups skills and then go right back to trying to finish off Super Air Zonk ..
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

galam

« Reply #2194 on: March 27, 2013, 04:16:34 PM »
Right now I'm trying to finally finish Super Air Zonk .. For the longest time I could not get past the third stage .. I played some Gates Of Thunder in the past few days .. I went back to playing some more Super Air Zonk today and easily beat the third and fourth stage .. Right now I'm stuck trying to beat the boss from the Moonhead stage .. Gonna play some more Gates Of Thunder and further sharpen my Shmups skills and then go right back to trying to finish off Super Air Zonk ..

Is Super entirely different from the huey?  Or is it just a nominal upgrade?

roflmao

« Reply #2195 on: March 27, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
I've always wanted to check out Super Air Zonk.  I love the first one.

I started playing Ys III again and have also been playing some Dracula X.  Both of these games I had lost saves from when Shape Shifter wiped my game saves, and I'm finally getting around to digging back in.  I unlocked Maria for the first time ever today (after beating the first 3 levels with Richter and hitting a wall on level 4).  Woot!

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #2196 on: March 27, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »
It's totally different from the Huey version .. I personally prefer the music from the Huey version over the Scd version .. But I definitely like the levels and bosses a lot more on the Scd version .. I think the Huey version might also be a bit more difficult to play .. IMO both are awesome games and a must have for the collection ..
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Jack Burton

« Reply #2197 on: March 30, 2013, 04:41:58 PM »
I'm new here.  Been lurking for a while.  I've been on neo-geo.com and shmups.com for a while. 

Been playing Final Zone II (love that theme song!!!) and Dungeon Explorer II.  Final Zone II has such great music.  Tight gameplay too. 

esteban

« Reply #2198 on: March 30, 2013, 05:49:05 PM »
I'm new here.  Been lurking for a while.  I've been on neo-geo.com and shmups.com for a while. 

Been playing Final Zone II (love that theme song!!!) and Dungeon Explorer II.  Final Zone II has such great music.  Tight gameplay too. 

I love the music from Final Zone II (even the lyrics to the two songs...Title song and Momoko's stage).... BUT, sadly, the game itself is subpar. IF ONLY the game was better.

That said, I'm happy when anyone appreciates Final Zone II.

Dungeon Explorer II, of course, is just plain fun.

|    | 

Jack Burton

« Reply #2199 on: March 31, 2013, 04:43:53 AM »

I love the music from Final Zone II (even the lyrics to the two songs...Title song and Momoko's stage).... BUT, sadly, the game itself is subpar. IF ONLY the game was better.

That said, I'm happy when anyone appreciates Final Zone II.

Dungeon Explorer II, of course, is just plain fun.

Final Zone's gameplay must have grown on me over the years.  Back when the turbo cd was new, all those games seemed magical.  Aaaahhhh, high school memories.  :) (yeah, I'm not a youngster)

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #2200 on: March 31, 2013, 08:05:11 AM »
I'm playing "Bonk's Revenge" for the first time after beating "Bonk's Adventure".  I can make it to the Volcano Castle where I go down the hole as the stage starts.  I get stuck in there, can't get out.  I lost the flower that makes me fly accidentally so the game is stuck?  I have to shut that game off, what gives?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:09:52 AM by EvilEvoIX »

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

turboswimbz

« Reply #2201 on: March 31, 2013, 08:18:29 AM »
I'm playing "Bonk's Revenge" for the first time after beating "Bonk's Adventure".  I can make it to the Volcano Castle where I go down the hole as the stage starts.  I get stuck in there, can't get out.  I lost the flower that makes me fly accidentally so the game is stuck?  I have to shut that game off, what gives?

What are you talking about? There is a jump flower to get out if you mess up and lose flight?

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #2202 on: March 31, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »
I'm playing "Bonk's Revenge" for the first time after beating "Bonk's Adventure".  I can make it to the Volcano Castle where I go down the hole as the stage starts.  I get stuck in there, can't get out.  I lost the flower that makes me fly accidentally so the game is stuck?  I have to shut that game off, what gives?

What are you talking about? There is a jump flower to get out if you mess up and lose flight?

Nope, Just get stuck, that's it.  I can break the bricks above my head and then I can't get out.  I am just stuck and suicide obviously doesn't work as just wake up again in the same spot.

I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

retroguy

« Reply #2203 on: April 01, 2013, 03:35:20 AM »
I've finished the first two dungeons in Neutopia and I'm on level 2 of Dracula X (I can make it to the end of the level but haven't been able to beat the boss yet. If at first you don't succeed...).
I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #2204 on: April 01, 2013, 05:46:19 AM »
I just Beat Bonk's Revenge.  It's similar to Bonk's Adventure in that simple persistence wins the game and that is what I did.  No continues but I would have to spam enemy bosses.  That ballerina thing I would get hurt every time I hit it.  The game I feel is not as good as Bonks Adventure although it should be.  The grafx are vastly superior but the control is not.  They ruined Bonk's flip control and timing.  That said I believe it was done on purpose to make the game harder which it was.  I enjoyed the Chip Tunes but they began reusing them and on a game with only 7 levels I feel that is kinda cheap.  The final boss is a joke, so easy I could not believe it was over when it was.

The Bonus levels I thought were cheap pieces of shit but after relentless trying I got the hang of most.  For some reason I can't do the bouncing flower Bonus levels as I cannot consistently get a high bounce so I always fall into the pit.  I am getting good at the Glacier Level for sure.  I need help with the Smash Antenna and Sno-Men level.

I liked how the end bosses had levels to go though but I didn't get the crab thing at all.  Yes it helped you get to places but why?  I felt parts of the game were really cheap with spam hits over and over however I really liked the Laundry level, so out of place so weird.  The water levels I kick ass at for some reason.

I would recommend to anyone as it defines the console for the mainstream audience.  Being a Suburban NJ Kid Bonk ran Neck and Neck with Mario and Sonic for a minute which to me is a MASSIVE victory.

The biggest disappointment was all the stillness in characters.  Bonk REALLY needs to be able to duck, this single sprite thing just stinks.  I would stop and look at the backgrounds, just still with the fire and lava moving just by streaming very colorful colors over and over again.  I thought the Skeleton Elephants looked good but all is stylistically beautiful.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:56:40 AM by EvilEvoIX »