Author Topic: What Turbo game are you currently playing?  (Read 91449 times)

allyourblood

Re: What Turbo game are you currently playing?
« Reply #2385 on: June 12, 2013, 04:40:02 AM »
Thanks,  esteban.  I've had my eye out for Somer Assault for a while now. Its starting to fetch higher prices now. I think I'll like it though for the reason you mentioned: its quirkiness. Looks weird enough to be fun!
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

Mishran

« Reply #2386 on: June 12, 2013, 04:47:07 AM »
Isn't the PCE version cheaper still? Unless you need the US version, game plays the same.

allyourblood

« Reply #2387 on: June 12, 2013, 05:52:53 AM »
Isn't the PCE version cheaper still? Unless you need the US version, game plays the same.
That was gonna be my next question. I don't like missing out on the story (when there is one),  but if the PCE version is significantly less expensive and doesn't require any knowledge of Japanese,  I'm all over it!

Where is fancy bred?

Mishran

« Reply #2388 on: June 12, 2013, 06:38:34 AM »
It's been a while since I played through it, but yes there is a story. Not much of one though. Nothing you'll really be missing out on playing the PCE version. The controls and power-ups and such are fairly self explanatory.

The biggest and worst enemy you have to deal with in the game is the clock. You've got a set time limit to finish a stage including defeating the boss. Time runs out you lose a life. As big as some of the levels/mazes are, there doesn't seem to be enough time to get through them. It's a tough game, but not impossible.

allyourblood

« Reply #2389 on: June 12, 2013, 11:11:38 AM »
Played some Cratermaze last night. Man, I don't know: I just really enjoy this game! It gets old after a long session and I hate waiting to see the score tally and the long lead-in for each new stage, but it's just so light-hearted and easy to get into. The control seems great and there's enough variety to hold my interest for a while. Also, the tacked-on storyline is stupid and bizarre... in a fun way.

Where is fancy bred?

Mishran

« Reply #2390 on: June 12, 2013, 11:42:35 AM »
Played through to the end boss in Valis III and died, and died, and died. What a cheap bastard. Seems to me that if you don't beat him when that old man powers you up, your screwed since your too weak and pathetic to get anywhere with him. And what's up with that cheap flash attack that hurts you regardless. Finish this and I'm done with 2-4, just need to get my hands on the first one.

allyourblood

« Reply #2391 on: June 13, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
Giving JJ & Jeff a second chance. I played it a few times over the years and basically dismissed it after only a few levels -- I would come back to it, play for a while, smile at the silliness of it, and shut 'er down. Now I feel like it's not so bad and if I were 9 years old again, I probably wouldn't find too much to complain about. I always liked it, but never enough to try pushing through to the end. I think I'm gonna try to beat it this time.

Some observations: both characters slide way too much upon landing and move way too fast. After a while, I got used to it and learned to accept the "physics", after which point it plays okay. I just don't understand why the game provides you with such a speedy character if you're constantly having to "brake" your way through the levels.

Avoiding falling objects and jumping on or kicking airborne enemies is a pain; to that end, I don't care for the randomness of which items you can jump on and which you cannot: rolling boulders are fair game, but stationary ones do a ton of damage?

Also, what is with some games (like JJ&J & New Adventure Island) that sap your health for no reason? That one really gets under my skin. It's bad enough you're dealing with dodging enemies that appear out of nowhere and getting hit by your coworker/friend/sidekick (with no rhyme or reason), but just standing around to catch your breath incurs a penalty? Bizarre. Just gimme a dang timer and be done with it.

Oh, and if you haven't played this game yet, for the love of Pete, whatever you do, don't jump on the green spring!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:19:29 PM by allyourblood »

Where is fancy bred?

esteban

« Reply #2392 on: June 14, 2013, 12:29:54 AM »
allyourblood: First off, I love when folks take the time to make more "substantial" posts like you did!  

Second, I'm not disagreeing with you, since I think everything you pointed out was valid. I'm just offering a different interpretation. For real  

I just don't understand why the game provides you with such a speedy character if you're constantly having to "brake" your way through the levels.

Yes, I think this constant sliding/braking turns-off a bunch of folks once the platforming requires precision. But, in the game's defense, it doesn't play too differently than the speed-run/jump found in, say Adventure Island AND the venerable Super Mario Bros. I play SMB on "permanent-speed", so I have to constantly "over-correct" during tricky parts (or when I forget what I am supposed to do and run blindly ahead. So, for me, this has always been an element of how I personally platform games (I acknowledge that this doesn't apply to everyone).

That said, I agree that the sliding/braking is a bit much (like an "ice" level with extra slippery physics).

Avoiding falling objects and jumping on or kicking airborne enemies is a pain; to that end, I don't care for the randomness of which items you can jump on and which you cannot: rolling boulders are fair game, but stationary ones do a ton of damage?

Ah, you can't argue with video game logic. I'll tell you this, though: I love jumping on enemies/objects in JJ & Jeff! It adds so much extra fun, especially because the designers incorporated serial bouncing..."chaining"...oh, I wish the game exploited this mechanic more it's so satisfying to pull off a "chain" of stationary bounces (rats) or bounce across the screen (wave of flies).

Also, what is with some games (like JJ&J & New Adventure Island) that sap your health for no reason? That one really gets under my skin. It's bad enough you're dealing with dodging enemies that appear out of nowhere and getting hit by your coworker/friend/sidekick (with no rhyme or reason), but just standing around to catch your breath incurs a penalty? Bizarre. Just gimme a dang timer and be done with it.

LIFE/TIMER BAR: I love this Wonderboyboy 1 convention (perpetually depleting life bar) SO MUCH MORE than a simple timer: grabbing fruit allows you to ADD to the timer and build up a reservoir of life bars (time), thereby putting you under constant pressure to MOVE.

NO REST FOR THE WEARY!

Constantly moving, ravenous for fruit... It is one of the best things about WB1/Adventure Island/JJ & Jeff. INGENIOUS! But, yes, it can be frustrating  

Anyway, I love that I must continually collect fruit (I like when a game allows you to build up a "reserve"...beyond the visible bar on the screen, such as Wonderboy III: Monster Lair, but it's not a deal-breaker if a game lacks a "buffer" of life/time).

Traditional "timers" only become "fun" when the time is about to expire and you have to "beat the clock"...Wondeboy1 puts you in a permanent "beat the clock" mode, under the guise of a "life bar".  BRILLIANT!

This prevents folks from exploiting a traditional timer (you can exploit a traditional timer by purposefully taking your sweet time to slowly explore/practice a new/challenging level. The game allows you to "waste" your time on tasks. JJ & Jeff doesn't allow you to do that; you don't have the luxury of slowly plodding through a stage and kicking every tree stump and trash can lackadaisically.

NO REST FOR THE WEARY!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:32:02 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

allyourblood

« Reply #2393 on: June 14, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »
allyourblood: First off, I love when folks take the time to make more "substantial" posts like you did!  

Second, I'm not disagreeing with you, since I think everything you pointed out was valid. I'm just offering a different interpretation. For real  

I just don't understand why the game provides you with such a speedy character if you're constantly having to "brake" your way through the levels.

Yes, I think this constant sliding/braking turns-off a bunch of folks once the platforming requires precision. But, in the game's defense, it doesn't play too differently than the speed-run/jump found in, say Adventure Island AND the venerable Super Mario Bros. I play SMB on "permanent-speed", so I have to constantly "over-correct" during tricky parts (or when I forget what I am supposed to do and run blindly ahead. So, for me, this has always been an element of how I personally platform games (I acknowledge that this doesn't apply to everyone).

That said, I agree that the sliding/braking is a bit much (like an "ice" level with extra slippery physics).

Ah, you can't argue with video game logic. I'll tell you this, though: I love jumping on enemies/objects in JJ & Jeff! It adds so much extra fun, especially because the designers incorporated serial bouncing..."chaining"...oh, I wish the game exploited this mechanic more it's so satisfying to pull off a "chain" of stationary bounces (rats) or bounce across the screen (wave of flies).

LIFE/TIMER BAR: I love this Wonderboyboy 1 convention (perpetually depleting life bar) SO MUCH MORE than a simple timer: grabbing fruit allows you to ADD to the timer and build up a reservoir of life bars (time), thereby putting you under constant pressure to MOVE.

NO REST FOR THE WEARY!

Constantly moving, ravenous for fruit... It is one of the best things about WB1/Adventure Island/JJ & Jeff. INGENIOUS! But, yes, it can be frustrating  

Anyway, I love that I must continually collect fruit (I like when a game allows you to build up a "reserve"...beyond the visible bar on the screen, such as Wonderboy III: Monster Lair, but it's not a deal-breaker if a game lacks a "buffer" of life/time).

Traditional "timers" only become "fun" when the time is about to expire and you have to "beat the clock"...Wondeboy1 puts you in a permanent "beat the clock" mode, under the guise of a "life bar".  BRILLIANT!

This prevents folks from exploiting a traditional timer (you can exploit a traditional timer by purposefully taking your sweet time to slowly explore/practice a new/challenging level. The game allows you to "waste" your time on tasks. JJ & Jeff doesn't allow you to do that; you don't have the luxury of slowly plodding through a stage and kicking every tree stump and trash can lackadaisically.

NO REST FOR THE WEARY!

Thanks for the thorough reply, esteban!

I agree 100% with what you said about "chaining" jumps. It's a lot of fun and it makes sense, too. I also wish it was used more extensively. Stages built around the concept could've really pushed JJ&J to the next level. I find a lot of the enemies seem to fly in or jump at the perfect height for me to just clip them as I try to bounce on top.

I get what you're saying about the depleting timer/health bar. I've learned to live with it, but I don't think I'd consider myself a fan, per se. Perhaps if the developers had just slowed it down a bit. At this point with the game, I tend to slow down a bit too much to line up some of the tougher jumps (the ones that demand precise landing, of course) and I waste those precious health/timer chiclets. I do notice that my confidence increases with repeat attempts and the health bar becomes less of an issue. For whatever reason, it feels far more forgiving in New Adventure Island, but maybe it's just me.

I'm gonna play some more of this game tonight. It's really starting to move from "guilty pleasure" to "downright enjoyable"!

Where is fancy bred?

geise

« Reply #2394 on: June 15, 2013, 01:31:21 PM »
Image Fight.  I still have a lot of practice till I start posting.scores.

allyourblood

« Reply #2395 on: June 15, 2013, 02:27:15 PM »
More J.J. & Jeff. This one is officially fun now! I'm still struggling a bit to get the jump kick down pat. Its range seems extraordinarily limited. When kicking bosses, you gotta find that "sweet spot"; close enough to connect but not so close that you take damage. I'll get it. Eventually.

Anyone else just have no luck with the slot machine? After probably two dozen sessions (with multiple coins), I have literally had a winning pull... once!!

Also played some Chew Man Fu today.

Where is fancy bred?

DesmondThe3rd

« Reply #2396 on: June 15, 2013, 05:28:54 PM »
I played Military Madness recently.... for 6 hours straight!

allyourblood

« Reply #2397 on: June 15, 2013, 05:46:13 PM »

You did the right thing. I only wish I had your resolve.

Great game.

Where is fancy bred?

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #2398 on: June 15, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »
I really really wanted to play New Adventure Island but I need to pick up an AV cord for my new modded Turbo unit :(

DesmondThe3rd

« Reply #2399 on: June 16, 2013, 12:25:38 AM »

You did the right thing. I only wish I had your resolve.

Great game.
Heh heh, it was a strange thing. I wanted to go through the first 16 levels without stopping just to see if I could still do it.